Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Federal to Local

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Federal to Local

    In a few weeks I will be leaving my federal uniformed agency and start working with a local police department. Anyone else on here done this before? I would like any advice that I can get.
    1*

  • #2
    Yep. Went from DOD/DA to local. Pay way better, pension waaaaay better and benefits better. Workload was 100% more and the paperwork was completely different. Overall, best move I ever made.
    Being a good street cop is like coming to work in a wet suit and peeing in your pants. It's a nice warm feeling, but you're the only one who knows anything has happened.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by stormz5192 View Post
      Yep. Went from DOD/DA to local. Pay way better, pension waaaaay better and benefits better. Workload was 100% more and the paperwork was completely different. Overall, best move I ever made.

      I am strongly considering it for the same reasons as listed above. In my case it would be a move from the BOP to a big city pd. On top of what he mentioned, far less commute, better training, much higher top pay, and a much more proactive position compared to corrections.
      What is Perseverance?
      -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
      -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
      -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.


      BOP - BPA - ICE

      Comment


      • #4
        Whats going on , this seems to be occurrining more and more. I had two friends one was with the DEA and went local and another is with ICE as an 1811 right now and is attempting to go local. They cite the lack of brotherhood with the Feds as opposed to patrol and the locals. I know the paperwork is a nightmare. Before I turned 37 I would have loved to apply with the ATF as an 1811 but never got around to it. I think they are impressive agency, but never worked for them. I know sometimes locals have a better pension system as opposed to the Feds, depending where you go.

        Comment


        • #5
          I did the opposite, Unifromed Local LE to FED Uniformed LE, you know I think it was a good move but I may consider going back to Local LE, I just miss it alot.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by DARE_SUPPORTER View Post
            I did the opposite, Unifromed Local LE to FED Uniformed LE, you know I think it was a good move but I may consider going back to Local LE, I just miss it alot.
            that's what I hear a lot of cops to fed guys say...most fed jobs are a lot slower.
            I guess on my end the only fed. department I would consider (if they ever lift the hiring freeze) applying for would be the DEA

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by DARE_SUPPORTER View Post
              I did the opposite, Unifromed Local LE to FED Uniformed LE, you know I think it was a good move but I may consider going back to Local LE, I just miss it alot.
              ha +1 to that. I did that and boy have I learned that was a mistake. I am currently in the process to going back to local Police... Fingers crossed that I will be hired and make the transition back very shortly.

              If you want to do investigations, going Federal to an 1811 is one thing. If you want to be a Police Officer and some of the fun and excitement that goes with it.. Do yourself a favor and go local. Nothing against my fellow brothers and sisters on the Federal Uniformed side. Some people enjoy it. Aside from some agencies such as the Park Police, most of the uniformed agencies are very security-oriented. After giving the advice to some of my co-workers that want to do Police to go local, I figured I'd take my own advice and get back into the local scene. And, as someone mentioned, the closeness and "brotherhood" is definitely lacking on the Federal side (from my experience) compared to the local side.

              Just my .02 Enjoy your time on the local side, you will enjoy it!

              Comment


              • #8
                Yeah the fed uniform is ok, but I want more. My pay is being cut over $7000, but I think that it is worth it. I just want to move back to Alabama.
                1*

                Comment


                • #9
                  I know lots of folks who went from being uniformed fed leo's to local leo's. Just depends upon your intrests. The pay cut will hurt however, in the long run, if it makes you a happier person than go for it.
                  I don't answer recruitment messages....

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I just went from a local agency to a federal agency. I feel like I sold my soul and made a huge mistake. I plan on trying to go back to the locals soon.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by vdfnco View Post
                      In a few weeks I will be leaving my federal uniformed agency and start working with a local police department. Anyone else on here done this before? I would like any advice that I can get.
                      tons of guys do it....you have those that say, oh they will come back but Ive only seen it happen once. most never come back to uniformed FLEO. not the rule, but rarely happens. Im trying to leave mine now for an 1811, but with the job market I dont think thats going to happen too soon. It seems everyone with a masters now is applying for these 1811's. So Im not too competetive these days. Anyhow since Im waiting on the 1811 stuff Ive put in for local LEO as well. If anything you will get more experience on the local side, and come back as 1811 much easier. Some agencies like Park and Capitol get into their fair share, but its still pretty limited. Its really all about what you want to do. Both FED and Local Uniformed are very honorable jobs. GOOD luck to you.
                      Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle, be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil; may God rebuke him, we humbly pray and do thou, O Prince of the heavenly host, by the power of God, thrust into hell Satan and all evil spirits who wander through the world for the ruin of souls. Amen.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I almost did it. Fed isnt for everyone.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by gunslash View Post
                          that's what I hear a lot of cops to fed guys say...most fed jobs are a lot slower.
                          I guess on my end the only fed. department I would consider (if they ever lift the hiring freeze) applying for would be the DEA
                          Slower depends on what your definition of slow is. Day to day calls dealing with drunken disorderly sorts, fights, thefts, etc.... very slow compared to a local PD. Very slow.

                          Intel wise... I'd say busier, however that involves a heck of a lot of sit and observe, then paperwork, etc.

                          I don't think a local or state LE job can touch what the FEDs pay in the long run (with the exception of DOD police and VA police... they don't pay as well as most local PDs).

                          All in all it should come down to what you enjoy. Some people love the go go go that a lot of local PDs get in the cities. Others 'loved' it until they got a little older. All in all, a badge is a badge and we should all back one another. No matter what agency you work for.
                          Last edited by BigSky; 05-12-2010, 08:07 PM.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by MiGuy View Post
                            ha +1 to that. I did that and boy have I learned that was a mistake. I am currently in the process to going back to local Police... Fingers crossed that I will be hired and make the transition back very shortly.

                            If you want to do investigations, going Federal to an 1811 is one thing. If you want to be a Police Officer and some of the fun and excitement that goes with it.. Do yourself a favor and go local. Nothing against my fellow brothers and sisters on the Federal Uniformed side. Some people enjoy it. Aside from some agencies such as the Park Police, most of the uniformed agencies are very security-oriented. After giving the advice to some of my co-workers that want to do Police to go local, I figured I'd take my own advice and get back into the local scene. And, as someone mentioned, the closeness and "brotherhood" is definitely lacking on the Federal side (from my experience) compared to the local side.

                            Just my .02 Enjoy your time on the local side, you will enjoy it!
                            Exactly correct. I was local, did 5 yrs fed and now I'm back local. The pay cut was tough for a while, but you make do. I loved the idea of being a fed, but actually love local LE.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              If I had to do it all again I would stay local, Uniform FLEO isn't bad but it is what it is 90/10. (90% security 10% law enforcement) I miss local but have to much time as a "Fed" to leave now.

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 6548 users online. 344 members and 6204 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X