300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A minor infraction of a rule??

Have you ever committed a minor rule infraction that a supervisor, or another officer, thought was a big deal?

An example:

Years ago when I was a Motor Officer we had a lady report her little girl was lost in the park (after dark). We had Officers searching the area on foot and a couple motor officers. I end up finding the little girl down by a creek. She was okay. She came out when she heard the motorcycle and was able to find her way out of the woods. I picked the little girl up and gave her a slow-ride back to her mom who by this time was frantic. She was so happy to see her little girl. All the officers I worked with thought it was cool I gave the girl a ride back to her mom. After everything was over I got an a## chewing from the Sgt. because the little girl didn't have a helmet, what if she had fell, etc. (I was going about 5mph). Needless to say lost respect for the Sgt. that day).
    "Lay there and bleed awhile before you feel some real pain."

"Have a cup of coffee, a pall mall, and relax!"

"Was that wrong? Was I not supposed to do that? I gotta plead ignorance on this one because if anyone ever told me that kinda thing was frowned upon..."

Better to ask for forgiveness than permission.
    "I think it takes a particular coward to criticize procedures that you don't understand; particularly when they apply to places that you don't have the bravery to go" - Battalion Chief John Sullivan, FDNY

"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch!" - Rev1

"If you reload like old people f@ck, then you need to be behind something that stops bullets." - Blackdog F4i

IGNORE = since9, justme001, opencarry, bsd13, asullivan, okjoe, Patrick Sander, CJ616

Comment

Ohh yeah, but never an infraction that the supervisor who said something hadn't done..

Learned real quick that it's ok for some people to do certain things and not others. I have been the one that could get away with things and then the one who couldn't.

It's a part of life I guess..
      "If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck"

Comment

Just chant the following mantra over and over, quietly to yourself -

No set of rules can be written so thoroughly as to anticipate every possible contingency. Under the circumstances, there may be occasions when it becomes necessary for an officer to deviate from departmental rules and practices to met the unique needs of a given situation. When that happens, an officer must be prepared to justify that his departure from policy was reasonable.
        Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Rules? Who follows rules?? Ohhhh...is THAT what that book was? Damn.
          Free Deke O'Mally!!!

Comment

How about killing a man on duty and receiving a write up for not wearing your seat belt? Yep.
            sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

BTDT. An "atta-boy" and a major .......ss chewing. Both on the same day.

Comment

Dont even get me started. We affectionately call it arbitrary and capricious application of policy. Happens alot and you never know which of your thirty divisional supervisors has what pet peeve about what bit of policy based minutia.

Comment

How about a system that finds something wrong with every UOF that you get in. I received training on a 100% in policy UOF for punching with a closed fist (seriously?). Seems like they always have to jab you one time in order to justify their cushy admin jobs.
                  Yes I'm a LEO... but I do no care enough to go through the trouble of changing the screen name.... sorry

Comment

Originally posted by Smurfette_76 View Post
                    How about killing a man on duty and receiving a write up for not wearing your seat belt? Yep.
                    Ugh. That sounds rough.
                    For every one hundred men you send us,
                    Ten should not even be here.
                    Eighty are nothing but targets.
                    Nine of them are real fighters;
                    We are lucky to have them, they the battle make.
                    Ah, but the one. One of them is a warrior.
                    And he will bring the others back.

Comment

I was written up one time for not calling the LT. There had been a big fire at a plastic's company in the middle of the night. This was before "Incident Command" was even thought about. My shift did a great job of getting people evacuated, traffic controlled so that the fire department could do their job. Not one injured, property damage only. We worked our tails off. The Fire Chief gave me a commendation and the LT wrote me up because I didn't call him soon enough.

A few nights later we had a dumpster fire next to a building. No biggie really, but the LT got a 2:00 am call "just to let him know."

He was ticked about that too, but told me not to cal him on fires any more.
                      Ut humiliter opinor

Comment

Originally posted by Sarge048 View Post
                        Have you ever committed a minor rule infraction that a supervisor, or another officer, thought was a big deal?

An example:

Years ago when I was a Motor Officer we had a lady report her little girl was lost in the park (after dark). We had Officers searching the area on foot and a couple motor officers. I end up finding the little girl down by a creek. She was okay. She came out when she heard the motorcycle and was able to find her way out of the woods. I picked the little girl up and gave her a slow-ride back to her mom who by this time was frantic. She was so happy to see her little girl. All the officers I worked with thought it was cool I gave the girl a ride back to her mom. After everything was over I got an a## chewing from the Sgt. because the little girl didn't have a helmet, what if she had fell, etc. (I was going about 5mph). Needless to say lost respect for the Sgt. that day).
                        Obviously you should have left the little girl while you got her a helmet or left your motor abandoned

Geez, I had a Major whose only talent was to find SOMETHING wrong with whatever you did. When she couldn't, she would ask your thoughts leading to your action and then criticize for those

I was fortunate to have a couple Supervisors who thought like L-1 though..............That is what made the bad ones bearable
                        "a band is blowing Dixie double four time You feel alright when you hear the music ring"

The real deal

Outshined Pujulesfan Bearcat Chitowndet Sgt Slaughter jthorpe M-11 Lt Borelli L-1Sgt CHP Nikk Smurf Presence1 IcecoldblueyesKimble LADEP ateamer ChiCity R.A.B. Jenners IrishMetal GoldBadge willowdared Monkeybomb PhilipCal pullicords Chit2001 Garbageman Narco CruiserClass Fuzz 10-42Trooper Tex4720 irishlad2nv bajakirch OnThe gurmpyirishmanNYIlliniSgtScott31 CityCopDCcgh6366 FJDave

Comment

LOL I got jumped on my ride along with Jenners for not wearing my seat belt. We were stopped at the time and the other Officer.................Anyway, old habits die hard, I refuse to sit in a marked PC while on a traffic stop wearing a seat belt
                          "a band is blowing Dixie double four time You feel alright when you hear the music ring"

The real deal

Outshined Pujulesfan Bearcat Chitowndet Sgt Slaughter jthorpe M-11 Lt Borelli L-1Sgt CHP Nikk Smurf Presence1 IcecoldblueyesKimble LADEP ateamer ChiCity R.A.B. Jenners IrishMetal GoldBadge willowdared Monkeybomb PhilipCal pullicords Chit2001 Garbageman Narco CruiserClass Fuzz 10-42Trooper Tex4720 irishlad2nv bajakirch OnThe gurmpyirishmanNYIlliniSgtScott31 CityCopDCcgh6366 FJDave

Comment

Yeh to tell the truth I didn't have a lot of respect for the Sgt. before the incident either. He was a lot like the Major that you described.
                            "Lay there and bleed awhile before you feel some real pain."

"Have a cup of coffee, a pall mall, and relax!"

Comment

Wow...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9603 users online. 438 members and 9165 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X