300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old School Tricks of the Trade

Taking into account the recent interest in the "old school" I thought a topic about some of those "old school" ways of doing things might be entertaining, and educational to some of the younger members.

I would ask that anyone that posts have at least 20 years on the Job, and/or be retired from a local, State, or Federal LE agency. Only first hand info, no "somebody told me..." or "I heard..."

I'll go first.

When I first started, our department was going through a great number of old school founders retiring. The guy that was just senior to me had 13 years on. I was assigned to the barracks, and reported on a Monday with another boot. (We called our rookies "boots") We arrived and received our first educational experience. Apparently, "boots" were not permitted to enter the squad room, and had to stand in the hallway outside during roll call unless invited in. That is the way it was, and we respected the wishes of the old timers in not wanting to be disturbed. They had it real good...

I was assigned to a midnight patrol within the first month, and we always ride two to a car during midnighters. I had to ride with one of the oldest old timers, a really good guy. We hit the interstate and set up to run Radar. We had the old Falcons, window mount. We stopped a few cars, and he advised we would alternate between contacts. First guy he stops is from NJ, and has the mandatory PBA card he tries to shove in the old officer's face. He makes some statement about his (insert relative here) being (insert officer rank here and City in NJ PD here), and then proceeds to tell us his relative would be very upset with us if he were to get a ticket... Yeah, you can imagine how that conversation went.

So, we go back to the cruiser, and he begins to write the ticket. He has a pretty large smile on his face at this point. He then pulls out a sheet of stickers he has in his pinch pad. They are white paper stickers with a stamp on them in large red capitol letters. Each sticker reads A**HOLE without the asterisks... He walks up to the car and does the old trunk check, slapping the sticker in place squarely on the rear trunk area. He issues the ticket, and we go back to the car.

He says "Boy... That's how we identify people like this to anyone down the road that stops him. They will see that sticker, and know that he was stopped and that he has an attitude problem, and he will be treated accordingly by the next officer."

That's "Old school".
    As far as "rights" are concerned; I look at them this way... I don't tell you what church to go to, and you don't tell me what kind of firearm I can own...

If someone claims they don't speak english (no ablo english), then just tell them "that sucks because they're shoe is untied".. then watch them look down and they clearly understand!!!

Not old school, just a good one a TO taught me back when i started...

Comment

re:Grog,we used to lop off a corner of their drivers license,the number of corners lopped equal the degree of "rectal aperture"ness they were.Four corners lopped? Good chance you would spend the night in the graybar motel.The reason this worked well was plausible denial,(I dont know how that happened!),and if someone did notice it,they wouldn't equate it with the meaning,and certainly wouldnt fight the lines at DMV to get another one.Also,we used to be able to take a drivers license in lieu of bail money,so you would stapl the license to the cite,# of staple holes was just about as good as a computer "priors" check.
      Sleeping Giant. They're not fat and happy anymore. They are hungry and increasingly angry. That is not a good recipe for a "Puppies and Rainbows America".

Comment

Originally posted by mavriktu View Post
        re:Grog,we used to lop off a corner of their drivers license,the number of corners lopped equal the degree of "rectal aperture"ness they were.Four corners lopped? Good chance you would spend the night in the graybar motel.The reason this worked well was plausible denial,(I dont know how that happened!),and if someone did notice it,they wouldn't equate it with the meaning,and certainly wouldnt fight the lines at DMV to get another one.Also,we used to be able to take a drivers license in lieu of bail money,so you would stapl the license to the cite,# of staple holes was just about as good as a computer "priors" check.
        You reminded me of another one.
        The old officers used to carry hole punches with them. Same system, they would use the punch to take a nick out of the edge of the license when they gave a warning, or punch a hole when they gave a ticket. When they stopped the offender again, they would know if someone else gave him a warning or ticket recently.
        As far as "rights" are concerned; I look at them this way... I don't tell you what church to go to, and you don't tell me what kind of firearm I can own...

Comment

aahhh the good ole days...gee, where to begin; remember when the better job you did at "restraining" an individual, the less likely it was that you would be complained on...

or how about 2 dollar ticket fees added onto court costs and at the end of the month a nice little incentive check...

when your interview with the chief went something like "da&# son how tall are you- 6'2"; how much you weigh? 205; yep I believe you'll be alright...

Sam Browne belts and S&W model 10's were the issued equipment-along with a 5 cell maglite, the light beam was much brighter than the regular 3 cell...
          It's not the will to win that matters...everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters.
          Paul "Bear" Bryant

Comment

Years ago I assisted another agency on a car theft in progress. PD was in a foot pursuit and I was able to intercept the perp. As I was getting out of my unit, the perp runs around the back of the car, and cold cocks me in the chin. I picked the bastard up, body slammed him onto the pavement then proceeded to cuff him.
            Took him to jail (located one floor up in the courthouse). Sheriff comes in, see's the cut on my chin and asked what happened. I explained and all he could say was "Did you take care of him, or do we need to go upstairs and explain to him some more, why he shouldn't hit my deputies".

Old School all the way!!

Comment

I don't have anything to add. I just wanted to get the email when someone adds something new to this.

Comment

Probation Officer here in rural Nor Cal. I, of course, have NEVER, EVER, EVER done this ....but, I hear that "deer in road brake checks" work really well when a dirtbag is 10-15 in the crown vic cage and being a real turd on the way to central for booking. I've heard that even the seatbelt doesnt help much with the hands behind the back and the plexiglass cage barrier oh so close to the face.....OUCH!! Sounds painful doesn't it? Again...I've NEVER tried it and would NEVER think of doing such a thing. Even our jail deputies know it as a "deer brake check".

Comment

Originally posted by jdlong View Post
                  Probation Officer here in rural Nor Cal. I, of course, have NEVER, EVER, EVER done this ....but, I hear that "deer in road brake checks" work really well when a dirtbag is 10-15 in the crown vic cage and being a real turd on the way to central for booking. I've heard that even the seatbelt doesnt help much with the hands behind the back and the plexiglass cage barrier oh so close to the face.....OUCH!! Sounds painful doesn't it? Again...I've NEVER tried it and would NEVER think of doing such a thing. Even our jail deputies know it as a "deer brake check".
                  It was/is a DOG,silly,and was even more fun in the days of wire mesh cages,or at least thats what I hear
                  was much brighter than the regular 3 cell...
                  At least thats what the "recipient" said ,-----when he woke up.

Comment

Originally posted by mavriktu View Post
                    It was/is a DOG,silly,and was even more fun in the days of wire mesh cages,or at least thats what I hear

At least thats what the "recipient" said ,-----when he woke up.

Screen Test

Comment

Many years ago a young gentleman complained to the sheriff one Monday morning after he had had his attitude adjusted the Friday night before. The sheriff recognized the gentleman. It seems that the gentleman had been in the same restaurant the sheriff had been in on Friday night when the sheriff became disgusted with the gentleman's drunken debauchery and had called the local constabulary to come and remove said gentleman from the premises.

The sheriff proceeded to tell him the following: "Get your ***** out of my office before I show you exactly what a '***** whippin' is."

That is old school.

One trick that we use to use on illegals was to ask them the following questions:

Q: "Are you a citizen?"
                      A: "Yes."

Q: "Where do you live?"
                      A: "San Antonio."

Q: "Where is you 'Green' card?"
                      A: "At home."

Since American citizens did not have "green card." We knew he was an illegal. We would take him to the jail and put an immigration hold on him. The local Boarder Patrol officer would come in the following morning and take him off to be sent back to Mexico or wherever he came from.

The BP guy transferred to California and the new guy started wanting 10 or more before he would come in. It went down hill from there.

One more old school thing was if you ran from the police, you expected to have you attitude adjusted. It cut down on people running from the police.

Fighting the police was also a BIG no-no, with severe consequences.
                      Ut humiliter opinor

Comment

I worked for a Lt. back in 1974, a old time cop, he came into briefing one night and told the shift, if one of my Deputies gets hurt the suspect will be booked into the hospital, do not bring him into the station. The greatest WC I ever worked for, he would not tolerate one of his Deputies being hurt without the suspect being booked into the hospital jail wards.
                        Retired LASD

Comment

keep em coming boys, love hearing about the pre-political-correctness-era
                          In the end we're all just chalk lines on the concrete drawn only to be washed away, for the time that I've been given, I am what I am. I'd rather you hate me for everything I am, Than have you love me for being something that Im not

Comment

Originally posted by jdlong View Post
                            With the wire mesh cages, I heard it called "Stopping for waffles!"

Comment

Originally posted by RyDPS View Post
                              If someone claims they don't speak english (no ablo english), then just tell them "that sucks because they're shoe is untied".. then watch them look down and they clearly understand!!!

Not old school, just a good one a TO taught me back when i started...

I tell them their zipper is down.......

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3206 users online. 151 members and 3055 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X