300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frustrating!! What can I do?

We have a business in my jursidiction that has been hit several times in the day time. The guy goes in and runs out with expensive clothing. I was about 1 minute away when the call came in, but the guy got away, and this has happened several times.

We all searched the area, but came up with nothing. It is upsetting that we are so close over and over, but have nothing to show for it.

We check the business, walk through it, hang around, and next thing you know the call comes in that there has been a shoplifting.

It just makes me wonder if police work is really worth it. I make some traffic stops, answer some calls, and patrol, but the crime keeps going up. The managers in the store give us that unspoken look that say's "Where were you when this happened? I do the very best that I can to provide good service.

I do not know what the answer is, for the thefts, robberies, stolen cars, and so forth, but it is really frustrating

All you can do is your best. One day at a time. There will always be scum, no matter how much scum you get rid of.

Try some plain clothes stings near the stores. Check out the security cameras or have the owners install them, inside and out in hopes of a plate or last known direction.
    Last edited by Michigan; 11-06-2009, 04:18 PM.

Comment

Hang in brother, no one said the greatest show on earth was perfect, oh do the above and below advice!!
      Last edited by Ralph8119; 11-07-2009, 08:50 AM.
      Take care and stay safe!
      Ralph8119
      A Little Something Else For Those 60's & 70's Music Lovers On Line!
      sigpic
      http://www.myfreenetradio.com/listen70s.asx

A Cool Website On History In Photos Of The New York City Police Department!
      http://www.policeny.com/home.html

Policelink!
      http://policelink.monster.com/member/Ralph8119

Inside The New York City Police Academy!
      http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/html/pr/videos.shtml

Comment

One day at a time brother! I couldn't agree more. Do your best, live with your decisions, and go home at the end of shift. We can't stop all the bad things from happening all the time. But just know that everything good you do out there really does make a difference!
        "It's a long way from the Supreme Court to the streets." -F.Y.
        "Saw drunk, arrested same." -Buck

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
          We have a business in my jursidiction that has been hit several times in the day time. The guy goes in and runs out with expensive clothing. I was about 1 minute away when the call came in, but the guy got away, and this has happened several times.

We all searched the area, but came up with nothing. It is upsetting that we are so close over and over, but have nothing to show for it.

We check the business, walk through it, hang around, and next thing you know the call comes in that there has been a shoplifting.

It just makes me wonder if police work is really worth it. I make some traffic stops, answer some calls, and patrol, but the crime keeps going up. The managers in the store give us that unspoken look that say's "Where were you when this happened? I do the very best that I can to provide good service.

I do not know what the answer is, for the thefts, robberies, stolen cars, and so forth, but it is really frustrating
          If a place keeps getting hit by the same person in the same manner it's clearly a problem with the store. The police department is not their personal security guards. They need to move their check-out counter near the door, install surveillance, and hire loss prevention.

Welcome to capitalism.

When people whine about the PD not being around when they need them, just direct them to city hall and make sure they know to question certain elected officials about budgets cuts being made to PD over stupid welfare programs.

Comment

Tell them to call when he comes IN the store, not as he's stealing crap.
            sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

Does your agency have detectives that handle that kind of stuff? If not, or if they *allow* you, and you have the time, try conducting your own investigation. Find out what knuckleheads live nearby...who recently got out of jail, who in the area has a similar MO, etc.

I have ambitions to get to our CID so when a problem like yours comes up, I work it the best I can. Hopefully one day the work will be recognized and I can get to where my goals are.

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post

I used to let that stuff bother me also, but who cares as long as you do your best and keep getting paid, and don't forget to thank the criminals because without them a lot of us would be stocking shelves, swinging sledge hammers, and flipping burgers for a living.
                Last edited by coach1299; 11-07-2009, 12:20 AM.

Comment

hang in there, one day at a time...

that being said, here's your community based policing moment...

take a look at the store, suggest a redesign of the clothing displays - expensive stuff near the register / in the rear of the store, chain the expensive stuff to the clothing displays...

see about an install one of those waist high (stylish enough) fences / barriers by the front door - think of it like a "T" intersection, the customer comes in (long section of the T) and has to turn say - to the right to enter fully into the store, exit is on the other side.. having written this, much like a blockbuster store..

reconfigure / purchase a digital surveillance system (future ID and monitoring employees, etc.). these are relatively inexpensive (and a tax deduction for the business)... can post photos, print for LE as evidence, BOLO. maybe a camera on the outside of the store too...

signage? "smile, you're on camera"

electronic tagging of expensive clothing with the device taken off at the counter. if not, it sets off an alarm or something.. (getting more costly here).

suggest the creation of a "business beat officer" or get a community service officer to handle this type of stuff for all businesses in a beat / district. teaching crime prevention, sharing this informaiton with other merchants, etc. great PR for department while making the merchants "feel" good.

if this is all reported, ask for an analysis of the times and days of occurence, look for patterns and put yourself nearby to hopefully, nab the guy on the next occasion

it's a crap shoot, but suggestions never the less...

but bottom line, it's job security for us.
                  ''Life's tough......it's tougher if you're stupid.''
                  -- John Wayne

Comment

If it's that big of a problem and you don't have a detective bureau, ask your Sgt. if you could work plain clothes for a day, and set up surveillance in the area. But as another poster has said, some of this has to fall on the store. We have a duty to protect, but the store has a certain amount of responsibility in safeguarding their merchandise.
                    "In valor there is hope"

Comment

I'll never beat myself up over a crime happening on my post as if I had some control of it. I know at the end of the day I spend a great amount of time roaming my post. Things still can and do happen. Stopping and talks, visiblity, traffic stops...at the end of the day if the criminal wants crime...they will find it.

As for your issue....police are not personal security guards. If the store is having issues they need secuirty guards, losss prevention workers, or some good camera equipment to capture some information. This is the 1980's and security equipment should be installed.

Comment

It's the store's problem for a number of reasons, to include that they don't call until he is on his way out the door, they don't have video, they don't have loss prevention, they still keep arm load of expensive stuff readily accessible after being ripped off numerous times, etc. You or a crime prevention officer can educate the owner on how to harden his business and if he doesn't listen....screw him. You did your best.

Comment

It's the merchant's responsibility to protect their property. If they don't want to do anything then why should you worry about it. Like the others have said you are not their personal security. Try to convince the merchant to take better security measures and educate them on the shoplifting laws. For example they can legally detain shoplifters and hold them for LEOs even if it is a misdemeanor amount.
                          However don't expect them to listen. We have some businesses that are prime targets for burglaries. I've tried multiple times to convince those same merchants to consider lexon glass when replacing their broke windows. They instead complain about the cost of the lexon glass and replace it with the same glass. They don't consider the costs of replacing the SAME broken glass over and over and over again and the cost of the stolen merchandise the burglarer(s) get away with. Even with insurance it can be costly over time.
                          BTW just because you were a minute away when you recieved the call does not mean the incident just happened. Consider the time it took the victim to place the call, the time it took the dispatch center to route the call to you. So it was most likely 3 - 5 minutes since the incdent happened which is plenty of time for a subject to get a way.

Comment

Originally posted by Name Taken View Post
                            This is the 1980's and security equipment should be installed.
                            FYI: It's 2009.

Comment

It's an inside job, they're calling you to cover their tracks.
                              Invisible cows control my mind.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4454 users online. 257 members and 4197 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X