300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flying with Firearm

Hey, I know this has been talked about in the past, but my search button only likes to work on random days... Today is not one of them.

So, my two questions, and if anyone can pm me with the answer I'd greatly appreciate it.

I'm flying to Miami Beach this winter for a vacation with the girlfriend. I would like to bring one of my off-duty guns. Can someone PLEASE explain the procedure to check it onto the plane. Procedure, lock, etc....

Also, I'm a Federal Officer and it was never discussed when I went through training with my department. My buddy who is currently in the training had someone ask specifically during it, if the agency cares if we fly while armed. They said they were not against it. SO, is there any Officers... Federal I believe are the only ones who can do it Off-duty... that have flown while armed, and can you PLEASE pm me on how to go about doing that.

Either way I have to do it, I would just not like to be on vacation for a week down in Miami without it and am hoping someone can help me with how to go about getting it down there. Thanks in advance. Be safe.

PM sent. However if you are not sure and you are with a Federal Agency and you have not done any training or taken a course on flying armed. Most likely you cannot. There are only so many x amount of Federal LE agencies that can fly armed.
    "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

I've flown armed before, but only while on-duty. You should closely look at not just your agency's, but the airline policy regarding off-duty carry on board. For regular checked luggage, the procedures are pretty simple and I've never had a problem.

1) Find an airline approved lockable case for transport. (It can be a small box that you can fit inside your suitcase or a somewhat larger one, checked separately.)
      2) Bring your ammunition in a factory container (box) or one of those plastic boxes, reloaders use for ammo (that keeps each round separated from the others).
      3) Keeping you unloaded handgun in the case, with the action locked open and the magazine removed (if it's a semi-automatic pistol), inform the airline employee at the "Checked Luggage" window that you have an "unloaded firearm to declare."
      4) The employee will have you allow him/her a visual inspection to confirm your handgun is unloaded and then give you an orange colored card to sign (verifying you are checking in an unloaded firearm). Sign the card and he/she will have you place it into the unlocked container with your weapon. The boxed ammunition can be in the same container or it can be placed in your suitcase, separately.
      5) A TSA employee will examine the weapon (in your presence if you request to be there) and lock it in it's container. He/she can then place it into your other baggage or check the container through separately.
      6) When you arrive at your destination, you can pick up your checked firearm. Some airlines will have the container with the other luggage at the regular collection site, while others may have it waiting for you in an area nearby for "special" items. Either way, your handgun will be in it's secure container just as you left it.

I'd suggest writing down the gun's serial number before going to the airport and keeping it with you for the duration of the trip. Also, having an extra key to it's locking case isn't a bad idea either.
      "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

Originally posted by irishlad2nv View Post
        PM sent. However if you are not sure and you are with a Federal Agency and you have not done any training or taken a course on flying armed. Most likely you cannot. There are only so many x amount of Federal LE agencies that can fly armed.
        I'd respond to your pm but as well as my search feature not working, my pm box is being funny. I love my internet. I'm a Federal Police Officer, not an 1811. I had prior local Police experience when I joined so I did not go down to FLETC where they take the flying while armed class, so I personally have not taken it, but as a whole the Agency Officers have that class. So, I didn't know that even though I have not taken that class, as a Federal Officer from that agency, if I'd be able to still do it. I guess if I can't get an answer here I will refer to the head of the legal department for the agency, which is probably the smart thing to do in the first place. I was just hoping to hear how to go about doing it from someone who has. But, at the very least, if someone can provide me with how to transport the firearm and if I should be worried about the baggage handlers, handling it, etc etc it would be GREATLY appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by pulicords View Post
          I've flown armed before, but only while on-duty. You should closely look at not just your agency's, but the airline policy regarding off-duty carry on board. For regular checked luggage, the procedures are pretty simple and I've never had a problem.

1) Find an airline approved lockable case for transport. (It can be a small box that you can fit inside your suitcase or a somewhat larger one, checked separately.)
          2) Bring your ammunition in a factory container (box) or one of those plastic boxes, reloaders use for ammo (that keeps each round separated from the others).
          3) Keeping you unloaded handgun in the case, with the action locked open and the magazine removed (if it's a semi-automatic pistol), inform the airline employee at the "Checked Luggage" window that you have an "unloaded firearm to declare."
          4) The employee will have you allow him/her a visual inspection to confirm your handgun is unloaded and then give you an orange colored card to sign (verifying you are checking in an unloaded firearm). Sign the card and he/she will have you place it into the unlocked container with your weapon. The boxed ammunition can be in the same container or it can be placed in your suitcase, separately.
          5) A TSA employee will examine the weapon (in your presence if you request to be there) and lock it in it's container. He/she can then place it into your other baggage or check the container through separately.
          6) When you arrive at your destination, you can pick up your checked firearm. Some airlines will have the container with the other luggage at the regular collection site, while others may have it waiting for you in an area nearby for "special" items. Either way, your handgun will be in it's secure container just as you left it.

I'd suggest writing down the gun's serial number before going to the airport and keeping it with you for the duration of the trip. Also, having an extra key to it's locking case isn't a bad idea either.
          Perfect! Thank you very much. Now, to go about getting an approved lock container...

Comment

Originally posted by jb5722
            you will not be able to fly armed, but you can check it in the locked container and have it stored in the cargo hold. as to whether or not you trust the people handling your luggage not to steal your weapon, that's a choice you'll have to make.
            Is there a certificate you must show that says you took the class to fly while armed? As well as the choice is mine to make... Thank you. I very much realize that. My asking the question is to hear other's experience so I can base my decision off of experience with it as I've had zero. Thank you.

Comment

Since we are on the subject..does the case that the firearm comes in qualify as an approved case?
              We ride for those who died!

RIP SgtCHP!

Comment

Originally posted by MiGuy View Post
                I'd respond to your pm but as well as my search feature not working, my pm box is being funny. I love my internet. I'm a Federal Police Officer, not an 1811. I had prior local Police experience when I joined so I did not go down to FLETC where they take the flying while armed class, so I personally have not taken it, but as a whole the Agency Officers have that class. So, I didn't know that even though I have not taken that class, as a Federal Officer from that agency, if I'd be able to still do it. I guess if I can't get an answer here I will refer to the head of the legal department for the agency, which is probably the smart thing to do in the first place. I was just hoping to hear how to go about doing it from someone who has. But, at the very least, if someone can provide me with how to transport the firearm and if I should be worried about the baggage handlers, handling it, etc etc it would be GREATLY appreciated.
                Not going to FLETC has nothing to do with it. I am guessing you are a 0083 DOA Police Officer? If so, no you cannot fly armed. Whatever agency you are with would be able to tell you if you can fly or not and what is in your policy. I fly armed on-duty and off. Most Federal LE agencies cannot fly armed off-duty.

There is no cert. you show. Either you have been trained on this or not. It's that simple. Better yet. Can you carry off-duty period?
                "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

Search feature may not work, but GOOGLE does! Here is the TSA information on LEOs flying armed:

http://www.tsa.gov/lawenforcement/pr...with_guns.shtm
                  Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

Originally posted by SgtCHP View Post
                    Search feature may not work, but GOOGLE does! Here is the TSA information on LEOs flying armed:

http://www.tsa.gov/lawenforcement/pr...with_guns.shtm
                    The information provided on the TSA website above is really the extent of what should be discussed about flying armed in an open forum. Since this is not a restricted-access forum, this is open source intel for the bad guys as much as a well-intended resource for the good guys. If, after reviewing that site, you still have questions, they provide the following email address to submit questions: [email protected]
                    sigpic

Comment

If you were allowed to fly armed, you'd know it. Otherwise, keep your gun in checked baggage and follow the TSA procedures.
                      I’ll die with blue in my veins.

Comment

When I transport my handgun, I disassemble (remove slide, barrel) it and store it in the locked case. Makes them just that much happier.
                        Free Deke O'Mally!!!

Comment

http://forums.officer.com/forums/sho...t=flying+armed
                          This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

Even if otherwise authorized, taking the Flying While Armed class is a requirement to fly armed... so even if you were allowed to by your agency and the airline, you still need to take the training. That said, the training will further explain everything else you need to know.
                            Sheriff: We just take turns being the sheriff. It's real easy. You just hang out here, eat some pie, and get drunk.
                            Peter Griffin: Wait. Hold on a second. "Pie," "drunk," "the?" You got yourself a sheriff!

Comment

Originally posted by jb5722
                              the case it comes in is not an approved case, and yes you would have paperwork proving you've taken the flying armed class, but no you would not have to show it. there are additional steps that would have to be taken, just taking the class isn't enough, they would teach you in the class about the proper channels to go through in order to set it up.
                              I think that depends on the case. If it's a hard case and is completely lockable (i.e. you can't pry it open when it's locked), it should be okay. My Glock case won't lock fully, so I haven't flown with it. A hard rifle case was fine.

Food for thought, though...only once this year has my firearm been placed in the (secure) luggage office for pickup. I had a rifle case show up on the conveyer with the rest of the luggage. Now if I fly with a handgun, I put the locked case inside my luggage...still check it as a firearm, but at least it's not obvious to anyone that there's a gun inside.
                              summer - winter - work

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 158266 users online. 127 members and 158139 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on Today.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X