Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone else grow tired of this...

I was at a Halloween party this weekend. As soon as someone finds out your a police officer they want to tell you their story about the ******* cop that stopped them without PC, was rude, said something wrong, wouldn't listen to their excuse, bla, bal, bla, bla, bla, bla.......... I don't want to be a jerk so I half-listen to the 30 minute story, wishing I was talking to someone else.
    I have the heart of a child..................................No really, it is in a jar on my desk.

I like to answer people with, "Wouldn't it be horrible if I judged YOU by every ***hole citizen I arrest?" They may not get the point but it usually discourages further conversation down that path.
    sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

I like to ask them what they do...and then give them crap because I got bad service from one of their competitors.

Comment

Originally posted by Outshined
        That is why I do not socialize with non police. Don't go to bars in my jurisdiction, or parties.
        Sad but true I've found the longer I've been in this business the fewer non law enforcement friends I have. I still have a couple of good friends from high school, which was almost 20 years ago and I put up with it from them, but that's it. When I'm off work the last thing I want to talk to other people about is cops.

Comment

A blend of Smurfette's and Taylor1430's responses would be awesome. I'll have to work on that.

I also hate hearing the stories about the ticket(s) just received for no good reason, comments about supposed excessive force stories in the news where the person I'm talking to is 110% ignorant of OUR job reality, etc...

My wife absolutely couldn't be MORE proud of me as a police officer, but I silently cringe when she tells people who I am at social gatherings.

Life is so much easier when you're anonymous.

Comment

Don't just associate with cops. You get a jaundiced view of everything. I too grew weary of the stories about the stupid cops, yadda yadda.

Just remember, when we get together, we tell stories about stupid civilians...and we do it all over the place. Just tell them you don't want to hear their story and change the subject to how cool it is that dope is legal now.
            Free Deke O'Mally!!!

Comment

So don't let people know you are a cop. I am sure you can make up a decent cover story.
              Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
              Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

Of all people I have to hear this crap from my father. While my dad complains about the increased revenue the city is getting due to more traffic stops by the motor units here, I just look out the window and ignore him.

Comment

I'm retired and a practicing attorney, many of the attorneys I socialize with are in the same boat. It's a lot more comfortable in many cases.

Comment

Originally posted by DAL View Post
                    So don't let people know you are a cop. I am sure you can make up a decent cover story.
                    +1

I tell people that I work for the city practicing law...
                    Am I lying? Absolutely Not!
                    Am I omitting details? Yes!

"There's only two kinds of people who walk slow in this city... Us and them."

Glock 26
                    Glock 19
                    HK 45

Comment

I got very, very tired of this exact thing. Not only that, but when they find out about my military career... Same type of BS. My wife and family are under strict orders not to tell other people what I did/do. It's best to try to keep things low key, but, you can also just avoid social situations.

Since I retired however, I can freely tell those types of people exactly what I think of them and their thoughts, unsensored. Keep the faith, it's worth the wait.

I have a few in-laws that found out the hard way that, when one of us retires, the leash comes off...
                      As far as "rights" are concerned; I look at them this way... I don't tell you what church to go to, and you don't tell me what kind of firearm I can own...

Comment

Why is it that our job has to be introduced into everything....Not...Hey...this is Joe but....instead they say....Hey this is Joe he's a cop.

I usually don't go out and or socialize with people about work.

I've already politely told people I don't want to talk about my job off-duty and in one instance I said to this one guy who persisted, I don't hear you talking about how you service furnances and deliver oil I don't wish to discuss my job either.

G-man
                        1*

Comment

I just tell people I'm an underwater dynamite welder. I leave it at that.
                          Free Deke O'Mally!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dinosaur32 View Post
                            I'm retired and a practicing attorney, many of the attorneys I socialize with are in the same boat. It's a lot more comfortable in many cases.

I would never admit that in public, either
                            sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

Originally posted by Outshined
                              That is why I do not socialize with non police. Don't go to bars in my jurisdiction, or parties.
                              Same here......

And if it isn't the stupid cop questions, then they want to know if they can drop your name. I only socialize with other LEOs, I would rather have "jaundiced' views then listen to the infamous "he did it" finger point joke all the time, hell its gotten to point where you can't even eat in public anymore with someone disturbing your meal with that one.....

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3097 users online. 180 members and 2917 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X