300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Serrated or not?

In your experience, is serrated better than a straight edge?

Specifically Im talking about the ka bar knife.

https://www.kabar.com/product/produc...%20Enforcement

and im taking about for defending yourself, not using the knife for daily use.

Comment

Originally posted by Outshined
      Why in the world would you need a k bar knife to defend yourself. And what difference would it make whether it is serrated or not?

Well, that one time I cannot get to my weapon, it might be nice to have another tool available.

And I wouldnt know if serrated makes a difference.....I dont know much about knives.

Comment

Originally posted by Outshined
        If you want to carry a back up weapon, make it a 380 or small handgun. Put it on your ankle or inside your shirt.
        Not all agencies allow you to carry 2 weapons while on duty.

Comment

2 weapons as in 2 guns.

Comment

Actually The K-bar TDI is a great weapon for defending a gun grab. Positioned properly it is nearly invisible and easy to get to. Serrated is fine.

A BUG is also a good idea.
            The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

When it comes down to it, if you're using the knife in a fight for your life, there's not gonna be much of a noticeable difference between a straight blade and a serrated blade.

People tend to put WAYY too much thought into things like this. First off, the serrated blade was introduced to "tear" at things, like a seat belt, or to "saw" at things. If a gun is on top of you pounding you, you're not going to be sawing into him, you're going to be STABBING him repeatedly, hopefully in places that are going to prove fatal. Whether or not the blade is serrated is going to be of little to no consequence.
              Originally posted by K40
              To me, open carry is the equivalent of the couple making out and groping each other at the food court in the mall. Yeah, they are probably legal, as long as they don't start getting undressed. But they are still social retards.
              ‎"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him." - Rooster Cogburn

Comment

If you are down to using a Kbar to save yourself, you are past screwed. Even if you used it, the Monday morning quarterbacks in the news are going to BBQ you as some sadistic crazed cop knifing the poor down trodden perp. You would be better off using a folding knife, that didn't "look" so bad.
                Ut humiliter opinor

Comment

Originally posted by ddurkof View Post
                  If you are down to using a Kbar to save yourself, you are past screwed. Even if you used it, the Monday morning quarterbacks in the news are going to BBQ you as some sadistic crazed cop knifing the poor down trodden perp. You would be better off using a folding knife, that didn't "look" so bad.

I couldn't disagree with you more. But I would have made the same statement at one point in time.

I don't carry the TDI. But I will probably get one in the future.

It is a purpose built tool. I won't go into how, where or why on a public forum. But used properly its a non issue.

If I have to I will chew out your throat if you are trying to kill me and thats my only option.

I thought it was gimmic to seperate more cops from their money until a DT instructor and friend showed me the big deal with this set up. I am in no hurry to buy 12 in case they sell out but I also understand that it actually has a purpose unlike some of the other things I bought in my youth.
                  The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

Why fellow officers are questioning your need for the K bar is beyond me.

If your life is on the line, you use whatever means necessary to survive, you don't worry about how it's going to be told by the media, or what your admin is going to say, or how you are going to have to write a very detailed OI, you just fight and you win.

Comment

Originally posted by ddurkof View Post

Within the the year or so an officer in Pittsburgh defended himself against an attempted gun grab using a knife. Not sure of all the details, but it does happen.

FWIW I carry a straight edge K Bar TDI. That's what was reccommended to me by an instrucor I had who I could best describe as the "Baddest Mutha in the Valley".

Comment

Originally posted by NY8739JR View Post
                        I dont know much about knives.
                        Then why would you choose one to defend yourself with?

Get some training in knife fighting. Its not rocket science, but you'd be amazed at how deadly you can be if you are mentally prepared to stick someone and have the training to be effective. I never trained as a knife fighter but did do some knife defense specific stuff. Its both frightening and humbling as to how often I was "killed" even knowing what was about to happen.

Also remember that the only time Doc Holliday had to flee a lynch mob was when he killed a man with a knife, even though it was self-defense according to witnesses. Fair or not, knife kills are viewed more dimly than shootings. I know, I know, carried by 6 or judged by 12 and all that but if you survive the encounter to eat prison time I still consider that a lose.
                        I miss you, Dave.
                        http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

You guys who are saying you don't need a Ka-bar, did you click on the link? He's not talking about a USMC Ka-Bar combat knife. This one is a bit smaller.
                          Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

http://www.officer.com/web/online/On-the-Street/Ka-Bar-TDI/21$34777

cut and paste, couldn't get it to link.

Comment

Get the straigt edge. It is easier to sharpen.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5052 users online. 281 members and 4771 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X