Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LA DEP
    replied
    I agree 100% with Grog on this one......

I would never resign under those circs....and if they DID fire me under those circs, then it would be taken to civil service; after civil service overturned the termination, then it would be taken to civil court.....with the Dept, the Sgt, the Chief and everyone else within spitting distance named as defendants.

That is the difference between your area, and an area that not only has unions, but also has civil service protection.....it isnt even remotely a firing offence to make the Sgt 'look bad' under any circs......even if you DID make him/her look bad.....

Leave a comment:

• SRT936
    replied
    Originally posted by miltownsrt6 View Post
    Wisconsin is an at-will employment state, so technically they could let me go for any reason. I don't believe I can go in front of the board, but I am definitely going to look into it. Thank you.
    Actually Wisconsin isn't an at-will state. An employer can't simply fire you for no reason, they must have cause. (There are exceptions, but they do not apply to the case you've presented.) Plus, if your a law enforcement officer, there are additional protections available to you under several chapters of the Wisconsin Statutes. Unfortunately, by resigning, you've pretty much barred the available recourses under the statutes.

Leave a comment:

• miltownsrt6
    replied
    Originally posted by PtlCop View Post
    I think, technically speaking, this should be in "Ask A Cop," as the OP isn't a cop. I'm just sayin.
    Actually technically I'm still certified for 2 more years.

Thanks again everyone for the advice thus far, I shall keep everyone updated.

And no, I have no interest being reemployed by that department.

Leave a comment:

• PtlCop
    replied
    I think, technically speaking, this should be in "Ask A Cop," as the OP isn't a cop. I'm just sayin.

I agree with Coach. If it's a battle worth fight, fight it as hard as you can. Even if you don't want to go back to work for them ever again.

Leave a comment:

• kcpd2528
    replied
    Departments give you the option to quit or be fired because they are hoping you will save them the trouble, not because they are trying to do you any favors. If they have anything on you, they will not give you the choice and will simply fire your @$$.

Leave a comment:

• coach1299
    replied
    Originally posted by miltownsrt6 View Post
    I didn't work for Milwaukee, if I did I would have a lovely union to protect me and could have fought this issue.

The only reason I decided to resign was I figured it still looked better than being terminated and I might have a sliver of a chance being rehired somewhere else.

There was some prior friction in the last few months but nothing with this SGT. and nothing half this serious. I was employed at this particular PD for 2 years and received good reviews. The chief himself even thanked me for being such a good employee last year. This year they have been on me about everything, I don't know what I did but I rubbed someone the wrong way.

Honestly, I didn't want to be there anymore that's why I accepted the resignation as I had a feeling things were moving in this direction. I just want the write-up removed from my record. It's like being kicked in the nads twice.

Another SGT. at the PD was supposedly looking into the matter. I am going to contact them this week and see what they found out and request a meeting with the chief.

Wisconsin is an at-will employment state, so technically they could let me go for any reason. I don't believe I can go in front of the board, but I am definitely going to look into it. Thank you.
    Okay I understand. You should get legal representation and have the issue brought to a trial or hearing regrdless of whether or not you return to work for them. This would set the record straight for future employment which seems to be what you want to do anyway. I know that attorneys are expensive but you're talking about your future and you need to fight this. Good luck!

Leave a comment:

• miltownsrt6
    replied
    Originally posted by coach1299 View Post
    Milton, please forgive me because I'd really like to help but there must be more to this story. No union reps, no dept hearing or trial, no civil service board. I never heard of even a probationary officer getting booted that easily. Is there prior friction and incidents that led to this culmination? Milwaukee doesn't strike me as a little podunk 5 man job in the boon docks. Again I'd love to help, but is there a little more to this?
    I didn't work for Milwaukee, if I did I would have a lovely union to protect me and could have fought this issue.

The only reason I decided to resign was I figured it still looked better than being terminated and I might have a sliver of a chance being rehired somewhere else.

There was some prior friction in the last few months but nothing with this SGT. and nothing half this serious. I was employed at this particular PD for 2 years and received good reviews. The chief himself even thanked me for being such a good employee last year. This year they have been on me about everything, I don't know what I did but I rubbed someone the wrong way.

Honestly, I didn't want to be there anymore that's why I accepted the resignation as I had a feeling things were moving in this direction. I just want the write-up removed from my record. It's like being kicked in the nads twice.

Another SGT. at the PD was supposedly looking into the matter. I am going to contact them this week and see what they found out and request a meeting with the chief.

Last edited by miltownsrt6; 11-01-2009, 09:30 PM.

Leave a comment:

• coach1299
    replied
    Milton, please forgive me because I'd really like to help but there must be more to this story. No union reps, no dept hearing or trial, no civil service board. I never heard of even a probationary officer getting booted that easily. Is there prior friction and incidents that led to this culmination? Milwaukee doesn't strike me as a little podunk 5 man job in the boon docks. Again I'd love to help, but is there a little more to this?

Leave a comment:

• ddurkof
    replied
    Grog is right, never, ever resign when you are in the right. Fight them and let them know that they are going to have a PR nightmare on their hands. I would get a statement from your former partner to give to future employers so that they can get an idea as to what happened. Good luck.

Leave a comment:

• grog18b
    replied
    You just found out what it's like to be a "fall guy".

If the Sgt was wrong, you never should have resigned, or accepted a bad letter. You should have stuck to your guns (so to speak) and requested a hearing on the matter at that time, providing your partner as a witness.

If you haven't watched "Band of Brothers" I recommend you do so, and pay particular attention to the incident where Lt Winters is accused of insubordination, and he requests trial by courts martial.

Never take punishment or accept blame for a mistake someone else made, regardless of their rank. Jerks come in every rank and walk of life. The sooner you learn to stand up to them, the better off you will be.

I don't know if there is much you can do now, since you already resigned and accepted the punishment. Live and learn. Or...

If you are truly interested in law enforcement, I recommend you schedule a meeting with the chief, and demand a hearing on the matter. Not the asst chief, the main man. You can bet the asst chief and the sgt are friends. You can also bet that the sgt and the chief are not, as he made the statement you made him look like an *** in front of him. Advise him this incident may have ruined your career path, and you have a witness that can set the record straight. Clear this with her FIRST and perhaps ask her to write a statement about it BEFORE you go in, so she can't change her mind, or be influenced once the sgt hears of your complaint. Make sure she is not the type of person that will cover her own "6" and leave you hanging in the breeze.

Were I ever accused of a wrong, I would never "be alright with having to resign..." Resignation is the sign of a quitter, and not the sign of a good Law Enforcement Officer. I would also not rest until I was completely cleared and things were made right with me.

Good luck.

My .02c.

Leave a comment:

• miltownsrt6
    started a topic Advice Needed

Advice Needed

I debated posting this for quite some time but at this point I really don't have much to lose so here goes.

I was working a 7p-3a shift with a partner when my SGT. calls me in and tells me to change into my bike uniform quickly. I do as told as report back to the SGT. He shows me a picture of a missing 20yr old autistic girl who functions at a 14yr old level. The only information we had is she told her mother she was going to the State Park. My SGT then gives me specific instructions to go to Geneva Meadows then take the bike trail to the State Park to look for her.

I do as told and come up with nothing. I radio my SGT. to inform him of my results and ask what his wishes were. He states "you checked the lake path?" I tell him no I went to Geneva Meadows to the bike trail and followed it to State Park. He tells me via radio this is not what he said and to check the Lake Path. So I go and do that. I finish my check and still come up with nothing.

I head in for lunch and my SGT. pulls in the garage behind me. He tells me that I made him look like an *** to the chief as he told him I was on the Lake Path when I clearly wasn't and I was in the complete opposite direction. I tell him sorry I was doing what I thought he had told me. He says well he never said that and further said it's done and over with.

It bothered me so I asked my partner in private what the SGT. had said, she confirms I did was what instructed. I then finished my night and let it be.

I was then off for a few days and receive a call from my Asst. Chief telling me he needs to meet with me today and to bring in my uniforms.

I report to work and am told I either resign or am being fired. I choose to resign for obvious reasons. I also received a write up for insubordination. This is the part that really bothers me. So I tell the SGT. and Asst. Chief at this meeting they need to speak my partner that night as I did what was instructed. To put it simply, they didn't care.

So now here I am unemployed and I don't think I have any chance of being hired with the insubordination write up on my record. The problem is I was a part time officer so I was not union protected and have no recourse.

I still want to be a cop as I feel I was pretty good at it and I thoroughly enjoyed the work. I have a feeling if I apply to other PD's I won't make it very far as they are going to take my previous PD's word over mine.

I thought of a couple ways to fight this, including having other PD's contact my partner that night, but she still is employed at my previous PD so I don't want to cause her grief. I then thought maybe I should have her type up a letter for me that I could provide to other PD's.

I am fine with having to resign that won't kill me; it's the write-up that kills me. Not only did I do what was told and was punished, it probably ruined my career. Furthermore I was not insubordinate; even if I had misheard him I didn't intentionally go against his orders.

I am really stuck and was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions or tips because I honestly don't know what to do.

Thanks in advance.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6313 users online. 363 members and 5950 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X