300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old School vs. "New" School

Myself and a very salty co-worker were having a discussion today about how things have changed in law enforcement, and how my co-worker always describes himself as being "old school" (the guy is the best damn cop i've ever known).

What do you see as the major differences in how the job is done now than how it used to be? I am a young officer, and one of the things I hate most is watching some of our veterans retire, as I feel as though they are a dying breed?

What do ya'll think?

Originally posted by Thin Blue Line View Post
    Myself and a very salty co-worker were having a discussion today about how things have changed in law enforcement, and how my co-worker always describes himself as being "old school" (the guy is the best damn cop i've ever known).

What do you see as the major differences in how the job is done now than how it used to be? I am a young officer, and one of the things I hate most is watching some of our veterans retire, as I feel as though they are a dying breed?

What do ya'll think?
    I think the biggest change in LE has been necessitated by a change in society. 20 years ago people didn't sue for the things they sue for now. 20 years ago a cop could go hands on, kick some serious @ss and not have to worry about being sued for it nearly as much as they do now.

This has caused departments to place a larger emphasis on verbal skills and on training their officers in how to verbally deal with combative people, as opposed to always going hands on. That's not to say that todays officers are any "softer" than the old school guys. Quite the opposite. The officers now who are going to last 20 years on the street are as tough as the guys who have already put 20 years on. The ones 20 years ago who didn't cut it aren't going to cut it today.

The other change I've noticed is that departments are looking for more scholastically accomplished officers. Take an informal poll at your agency and ask how many people over the age of 40 have a college degree as compare to your newer officers.

Those are the two biggest changes I've seen.
    Originally posted by K40
    To me, open carry is the equivalent of the couple making out and groping each other at the food court in the mall. Yeah, they are probably legal, as long as they don't start getting undressed. But they are still social retards.
    ‎"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him." - Rooster Cogburn

Comment

Originally posted by Outshined
      I am old school also. The biggest difference I see is that I put up a sign up for working tomorrow night, halloween, I wrote my name in first and my 21 year Sgt. wrote his name in under mine. So....I had to assign three more officers, all under 30 to work. They are complaining up and down that they should not have to work overtime.
      We're quite the opposite, our younger guys want to soak up the overtime, our older guys it's like pulling teeth to get them to do more, as most of them see it as a case of "i've already done my time on ___________ (insert overtime detail."
      Originally posted by K40
      To me, open carry is the equivalent of the couple making out and groping each other at the food court in the mall. Yeah, they are probably legal, as long as they don't start getting undressed. But they are still social retards.
      ‎"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him." - Rooster Cogburn

Comment

Old school cops seem to have a way with finding stuff, while the new guys have a heart attack if they can use the MDT to run a tag (hoping to find a suspended driver.) They can use their instincts and knowledge to make the good arrests, not rely on machines to tell them to do it.
        Being a good street cop is like coming to work in a wet suit and peeing in your pants. It's a nice warm feeling, but you're the only one who knows anything has happened.

Comment

Originally posted by Outshined
          Amen to that. Good post. Our power went out last week, and my 26 year old officer called me with a domestic arrest. He said, "Chief, the power is out and I need to do an information on assault, what do I do, let him go?" I said go to the cabinet and hand write the information with a pen.

"What?, I have no idea how to do that, I went in and did it for him.

I have part time officers from other agencies that cannot hand write a UTT.
          That's ridiculous..all you gotta do is fill in the blanks!
          Originally posted by K40

Comment

Our rookies all seem to think they deserve weekends off after about 2-3years on the dept.

I'm no salty vet either (8years in current agency) but when I first came on we WANTED to work the weekends. We NEVER took time off either.
            Two people can keep a secret if one of them is dead.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief Wiggum View Post
              Our rookies all seem to think they deserve weekends off after about 2-3years on the dept.

I'm no salty vet either (8years in current agency) but when I first came on we WANTED to work the weekends. We NEVER took time off either.
              Same here.. Comin on seven years here.. I still work 2p-12a, and enjoy working the weekends.. One thing good passed down to me is that my two front windows are rolled all the way down, unless it's a rain storm. Besides that, hot or cold, they're down..

Comment

What do ya'll think?
                I hope the feeling is wrong. I go with 31 years 01-01-10. I have a lot of life planned.

Seriously though, ever since I was hired, it wasn't long before I attended a retirement dinner for an older trooper. I hated to see him go, now 30+ years later .... there have been a lot go I hated to see go and now some are asking me to stay too.

Someday .... it'll be you.
                "That's right man, we've got mills here that'll blow that heap of your's right off the road."

"Beautiful Daughter of the Stars."(it's my home now)

>>>>> A Time for Choosing <<<<<

Retired @ 31yr 2mo as of 0000 hrs. 01-01-10. Yeah, all in all, it was good.

Comment

Originally posted by t150vsuptpr View Post
                  I hope the feeling is wrong. I go with 31 years 01-01-10. I have a lot of life planned.

Seriously though, ever since I was hired, it wasn't long before I attended a retirement dinner for an older trooper. I hated to see him go, now 30+ years later .... there have been a lot go I hated to see go and now some are asking me to stay too.

Someday .... it'll be you.
                  My hat's off to you!!! That's a long damn time!! I just wanna do 30, and I'm done... Got two retirement accounts going for me so I don't have to work once I hit that age.. Only got 24 years, 1 month, 09 days, 11 hours, 47 minutes and 34 seconds..

Comment

Seams like the old school guys don't want to adapt and the new guys know it all already. Neither one is correct and each one can be used in different aspects. I get a kick out of watching the "old school" guys finger pick one key at a time on the key board and I am sure they laugh at my rookie *** for the stupid things I do. Live and learn. Be safe and be humble.

That said we live in a modern world and old school police tactics will land your *** on youtube (if you know what that is, lol) or the nightly news if your not smart.
                    Any views or opinions presented by this prenomen are solely those of a burlesque author and do not necessarily represent those of a LEA or caementum couturier.

nom de plume

This is the internet- take all information with a grain of salt. Such could be valid and true or could be typed just for playing devils advocate.

Comment

What do ya'll think?
                      I'm retired now, but I can remember my first days of patrol in June of 1983 like it was yesterday. I was assigned to a training unit with FTO's that had a lot of time and experience. Some of their advice was the best advice that I ever received, and also some of the worst. Then some guys had a mixture of both good and bad, and yet others taught some things that might of been good in the 60's, but not so good ( or well excepted I should say) in the 80's. Overall I would have to say that they really knew their stuff. I put a lot of weight on what type of person they were. If they were a loud mouth drunken blow hard (and we had plenty of those), I would be less likely to listen, but if he was a good guy at heart, then I would be more inclined to listen. They didn't do too much by the book anyway, and that was alright because the academy took care of the book stuff, but I saw this as the perfect opportunity to take whatever good I could get out of these old timers and combined it with the book stuff. I also miss the old timers. I think a lot of them were great cops. I'm glad I'm not on the job anymore because they don't give the officers the latitude to do the job anymore IMO. Now it seems like cops actions are picked apart to a point that they'll find fault regardless of what you did. It's hard to be a good cop with that kind of scrutiny breathing down your neck 24/7. I believe it results in lesser quality overall police service because it causes a lot of officers to turn their heads. I think it's a great idea to listen to the old timers, but if they start talking trash make sure you put your filter on the highest setting.

Comment

The technology is the biggest difference I see. When I started almost 20yrs ago I had my gun, my handcuffs, and a flashlight. If you went hands-on you better be a bigger [email protected]## then the guy you were trying to arrest or have your friends close by. No tasers or OC spray. Now I laugh when I see some belts that would make Batman jealous.

I see young guys that don't want to work nights, weekends, or holidays. When I was new we had to beg to get on nights. I wanted to arrest drunks, disorderlys, druggies, and kick ***. But that was "back in the day"
                        "Lay there and bleed awhile before you feel some real pain."

"Have a cup of coffee, a pall mall, and relax!"

Comment

Originally posted by Sarge048 View Post
                          The technology is the biggest difference I see. When I started almost 20yrs ago I had my gun, my handcuffs, and a flashlight. If you went hands-on you better be a bigger [email protected]## then the guy you were trying to arrest or have your friends close by. No tasers or OC spray. Now I laugh when I see some belts that would make Batman jealous.

I see young guys that don't want to work nights, weekends, or holidays. When I was new we had to beg to get on nights. I wanted to arrest drunks, disorderlys, druggies, and kick ***. But that was "back in the day"
                          Generational differences. Generation Y doesn't care about work in the sense that work is their life. That group is more interested in working to earn a living, occupy their times, possibly make a difference, and please themselves. Sure, they want to do good and advance, but they're more interested in getting off and living than working.

Comment

Originally posted by Sarge048 View Post

But you didn't have to be so nice in the good old days. You didn't need all that fancy stuff because you were allowed to do what you had to do and the job got done. A lot was resolved in the street without paperwork. Not anymore!!!

Comment

Your absolutely right coach. A lot of things were resolved at the street level. I was more concerned with trying to solve the people's problems. Now it seems that they think the only way their problem can be resolved is by the court system. Then when it doesn't meet their satisfaction they are disgusted with the whole system. The perp pays his fine at the window and the victim is still without their property for an example.
                              "Lay there and bleed awhile before you feel some real pain."

"Have a cup of coffee, a pall mall, and relax!"

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6808 users online. 365 members and 6443 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X