300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Department issued slugs

Does anyone work for a department that issues or allows slugs for patrol shotguns? If so, what's the feedback on them? Are there any policies that dictate when slugs vs shot is to be used?

My department only allows shot and something today got me thinking about it.

Feel free to PM me answers.
    I miss you, Dave.
    http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

We are issued both. No to the policy; officer discretion.
    sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

Standard issue on WHP - or at least they used to be
      The All New
      BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
      Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
      - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Comment

Can not be carried in the magazine as a routine practice. Loading them up on a call is individual discretion.
        Today's Quote:

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
        Albert Einstein

Comment

We are issued both. No policies with what you put in... I have it loaded in the following order: Double-00, Slug, Double-00, Slug. You need to shoot a slug round. It's so accurate. We have to qualify slugs at the 50-yard line. That's how accurate it is if you're a decent shot..

Comment

Kinda the same answer as above.. We are crusier ready with double 00 but four slugs on the side saddle... standard rule is combat load the slug on say active shooter but beyond that we use double 00 or car 15 for other engagements If you need a policy feel free to pm me and I will see what I can send you ref our P&P.

Comment

Originally posted by Smurfette_76 View Post
              We are issued both. No to the policy; officer discretion.
              Same here. Most of our officers prefer the AR and generally leave the 870 or 1187 in the car. We are fortunate that we have the option of either.
              Good.........bad..........I'm the guy with the gun - Army of Darknesssigpic

Comment

We have both. Since we began to issue rifles, the shotguns tend to stay in the vault, which is a shame, because it is still a viable weapon. There is no policy regarding type of ammo or when it may be deployed.

I just requalified yesterday, and we used both slugs and buckshot.
                Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

Originally posted by streetshark394 View Post
                  Same here. Most of our officers prefer the AR and generally leave the 870 or 1187 in the car. We are fortunate that we have the option of either.

Our 870s don't have slings and it becomes an Officer safety issue to maintain both the shotgun and the handgun. The only option I see is to disable it if need be and leave it behind. A sling would solve a lot of issues but apparently THAT makes too much sense.
                  sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

We carry both 00 and slug. Officer preferance on load out. I carry it 00-slug-slug-slug. Smerf, how dare you try to make sense!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Smurfette_76 View Post
                      Our 870s don't have slings and it becomes an Officer safety issue to maintain both the shotgun and the handgun. The only option I see is to disable it if need be and leave it behind. A sling would solve a lot of issues but apparently THAT makes too much sense.
                      We're allowed to hang what we want on our shotguns. Fore grip light, mag extension, sling, etc.

No slugs, though. I'm thinking it would be a cost effective alternative to rifles, since we are always short on patrol rifles.
                      I miss you, Dave.
                      http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

We issue both 00 and slugs. Officer discretion when to use either. But there is a suggested range on buck in SOP. 20 yards for buck and 50 for slugs. It is a suggestion only.

We use the tac 8 buck and Most can keep all 8 on a silhoutte at 40 yards. Great stuff. Plus slings are mandatory.
                        The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

Yes, we have a lot of slugs in patrol.

We also carry slugs and 00 buck for our shotguns. The officer can grab an ammo pack with 00 only or both 00 and slugs, it is up to the officer.
                          I have the heart of a child..................................No really, it is in a jar on my desk.

Comment

O ya?? We're also issued ninja stars... I keep two on my belt.. Had to use them once, but I don't want to bring it up..

Comment

The department I retired from last year replaced 00 buckshot with rifled slugs! Kinda hard to understand since each unit also was equipped with a Colt Commando (AR-15). The "theory" was that since officers are responsible for each round sent downrange, buckshot presents more civil liability. Last time I checked the shotguns were still in the cars, but it looks like the writing is on the wall.
                              "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4908 users online. 275 members and 4633 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X