300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foot Patrol

How many of you guys walk a beat, or is that still done? Bicycles seem to be more of the "in thing."

The reason I ask is I'm curious how much area (miles, blocks...?) a foot patrolman is supposed to cover.

I work a foot post in Manhattan and by me its not really how far you have to cover, but how many times you cover the area you have.

You could have a 2 block stretch on an avenue and still get a lot of walking done during your tour. I guess it depends on the person really.
    "There's only two kinds of people who walk slow in this city... Us and them."

Glock 26
    Glock 19
    HK 45

Comment

I just got selected for a new downtown walking beat/unit. We really don't know what to expect, but they also want us bike certified, so guess we'll see..

Comment

We have one walking unit left in the city. He drives a car but does a lot of foot patrol during that time in a beach area.

I did about an hour a day of foot patrol while working a beat. Now I'm on my bike, which is much better in every way than foot patrol, and in many ways better (more effective) than a car.

Comment

We don't have any regular foot beats, but most beats have places where foot patrol is still done. I like to do foot patrol in shopping centers and get to know the store employees and owners. We do foot patrol on the beaches, too.
          Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

We have foot beats on the Metro Rails (subways, light rail). We also have them at Universal City Walk and various patrol stations during certain times of the season.

Comment

At least once a night I pick a area ( apts, problem street, etc...) in my beat which has been having issues and do a foot patrol with a partner. You come up on intresting things you wouldn't see patroling in the vehicle.

Comment

Originally posted by Feb2nd1979 View Post
                At least once a night I pick a area ( apts, problem street, etc...) in my beat which has been having issues and do a foot patrol with a partner. You come up on intresting things you wouldn't see patroling in the vehicle.

+1, I team up with a partner and we pick different areas to walk through, IE.....projects, bad apts, dark foot traffic corners at o'dark 30. We call it fishing the stock (like fishing in a stocked pond ) guaranteed to catch something good. Walking up on crimes in progress is priceless.
                Ignored: Towncop, Pulicords, TacoMac, Ten08

Comment

Originally posted by creolecop View Post
                  +1, I team up with a partner and we pick different areas to walk through, IE.....projects, bad apts, dark foot traffic corners at o'dark 30. We call it fishing the stock (like fishing in a stocked pond ) guaranteed to catch something good. Walking up on crimes in progress is priceless.
                  I love that! There are few things that make me love this job more than walking up on some guy tryin to break into a house or car. When he sees you and you guys look at each other, and he has that moment where his fight or flight sense is tryin to figure out what to do. It's great.

There are times you get this type of thing in a car, but not many. Bicycles and foot patrols are excellent in high crime areas.
                  Originally posted by K40
                  To me, open carry is the equivalent of the couple making out and groping each other at the food court in the mall. Yeah, they are probably legal, as long as they don't start getting undressed. But they are still social retards.
                  ‎"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him." - Rooster Cogburn

Comment

Well, yeah, I've worked downtown areas on foot at times albeit having been assigned to a car, done the mall thing, Walmart, seasonal, etc.

This came to mind because I walked a half-mile loop around a little, rural town last week, and I began to wonder how much area an officer on foot could cover including how many times the officer might revisit the same area in a given shift.

Comment

Originally posted by creolecop View Post
                      I started doing this with my partner...one night we did it 3 or 4 times, which really sucked. Because right as we reached the half way point, or the "point of no return" as it's sometimes called, we ended up with a priority call and hoofing it back to the cars.

We do happen upon stuff sometimes though

Comment

I'm required to do foot patrol every shift and make community contacts. Some officers hate that requirement, but you would be amazed at how much information and how many informants I get from that.

Comment

The malls here have details assigned. They walk.
                          Patrol drives/bikes. There is PWT. Park, Walk, Talk that is supposed to be done every once in a while if you cover a shopping district.

There are no dedicated foot patrols out in the street.
                          Went to Get a Cold Pop

Comment

I walk the beat a few times a month depending on our vehicle situation. Some times we don't have enough cars so someone has to hoof it.

Comment

I try to cover an area roughly four blocks by four blocks.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4402 users online. 263 members and 4139 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X