Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• End of the Dodge Charger

Fiat to kill Dodge, sell Italian cars in US

Four months after exiting a U.S.-funded bankruptcy reorganization, Chrysler Group is about to unveil a product roadmap that relies heavily on vehicles from Italian partner Fiat (FIATY) while abandoning many of the U.S. carmaker's own models.

The plan, due to be unveiled Nov. 4, involves the reintroduction of Fiat's premium, sporty Alfa Romeo brand to the U.S. starting in 2012, The Wall Street Journal reported this afternoon.

Chrysler also will introduce the 500, Fiat's tiny car that is popular in Europe, to Americans. It won't, however, attach the Fiat name to it.

Chrysler meantime is preparing to phase out many of its current models, particularly Dodge cars, the Journal said.

Fiat and Chrysler are working to create several new vehicles with Fiat technology for the U.S. market, including a midsize Chrysler-brand sedan to be released in 2012.

The sweeping changes, due to play out over the next two to three years, represent a big gamble for Chief Executive Sergio Marchionne, who has staked his reputation on the turnaround.

Marchionne, who successfully revamped Fiat, appears to be creating a vehicle lineup that stays true to Chrysler's blue-collar muscle-car and pickup roots while adding European-style vehicles to attract a new, more white-collar customer.
    "Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide."
    John Adams, April 15, 1814

The demise of Dodge was predictable because Chrysler introduced "Ram" as a brand. Dodge's products mimic Chrysler's and are superfluous.
    Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by DAL View Post
      The demise of Dodge was predictable because Chrysler introduced "Ram" as a brand. Dodge's products mimic Chrysler's and are superfluous.
      To be correct it's the other way around. Chrysler is the parent company so you don't have to get rid of a line to keep the vehicle going. You can pull the Charger under Chrysler without killing the vehicle, all it is a is name plate stuck to the vehicle.

Having worked for Chrysler for 3 years I can tell you that asside from the first 2 years of the Chrysler 300, Dodge is the workhorse of the company and sells the most vehicle. It's not even comparible.

The fact that they want to kill the main staple of the company and make these little european shopping carts shows me that this guy is more about expanding Fiat than he is making Chrysler strong again.

This guy has no idea what will be succesful in America and will fail misserably. We need someone who can build a company with identity and a platform design that can mature without taking away it's identity. An example is BMW. Have you ever seen a BMW anything and not known immediatly that it was a BMW? Their cars have matured over the years and still maintain their classic identity.

You say BMW is a luxary car and doesn't compare? Take a look at what any Chrysler car costs once it's been set up with some creature comforts like leather, entertainment system, better engine and tranny. It costs about the same as nicely equiped 3 series BMW's.

I wish Ford would pull their head out and modify the CVPI or the Taurus to have the actual Mustang engine and RWD. This is such an easy fix that it hurts my head wodering why they are so retarded to not have done this already. Why didn't they do this with the CVPI from the start? Why do we have the same engine as the Mustang but it's detuned to 250HP. The car weighs nearly 4,500lbs with all the equipment we carry, it needs the Mustang engine more than the Mustang does.
      Last edited by leesrt; 10-27-2009, 08:33 PM.
      Due to the Juvenile bickering and annoying trolling committed by members of this forum I have started an igore list. If your name is listed below I can't see you.

CityCopDC, Fire Moose, Carbonfiberfoot, Damiansolomon

Comment

Check your source before you post. Here is the actual quote from Allpar. The Charger is not being pulled. The report is dated 27 Oct 2009 (today)

According to the Wall Street Journal, which claims access to people who have seen Fiat’s plan for Chrysler, many of the recent rumors regarding current models are incorrect, and Chrysler will incorporate more Fiat Group products than expected.

Vehicles planned for the US, according to the Journal article, include a replacement for the Chrysler Sebring, based on a Fiat design. The PT Cruiser, Sebring, Avenger, Compass, Caliber, and Patriot will all have their final year in 2012, with even the popular Dodge Caravan ducking out; the Chrysler Town & Country will be Chrysler’s sole minivan, according to the article, though historically the Caravan has sold better. The Nitro will also be dropped.

Marketing for the Fiat 500 is unclear; the article claims it will not use the Fiat name but “will be marketed as the 500.”

Alfa Romeos to be sold in the US starting in 2012 include the MiTo subcompact hatch, a midsized sedan, and the Milano, all to be made in North America. Chrysler will start up a Sebring replacement and compact sedan in 2012 and a compact Fiat-based Jeep in 2013, they say.

To be kept are the Dodge Challenger and Dodge Charger.
        Under this plan, Dodge would be strictly muscle cars and trucks, while Chrysler would take over the “Chevrolet – Plymouth – Ford – Toyota” position as the “everycar” brand. No mention was made of plans to move Chrysler upscale, which were announced by the former head of the Chrysler brand shortly before he resigned.
        Again, where did you get your info because here's a direct quote from the Wall Street Journal..

The Wall Street Journal has apparently procured a little inside knowledge on the plan, and, if accurate, there are a few surprises. First, the expected: Chrysler will begin offering the Fiat 500 in its own U.S. dealerships as soon as possible; Alfa Romeo will make its long-awaited American comeback with an established dealer network and the majority of the Dodge and Chrysler lineups will be reworked atop Fiat platforms, save the rear-wheel drive architecture of the Dodge Charger/Challenger and Chrysler 300.
        Last edited by leesrt; 10-27-2009, 08:41 PM.
        Due to the Juvenile bickering and annoying trolling committed by members of this forum I have started an igore list. If your name is listed below I can't see you.

Comment

They've been saying for several years now that Chargers weren't going to be made, it has never proven to be true. I'm not buying it now. It's Dodge's most successful sedan, and their best selling sedan in years.
          Originally posted by K40
          To me, open carry is the equivalent of the couple making out and groping each other at the food court in the mall. Yeah, they are probably legal, as long as they don't start getting undressed. But they are still social retards.
          ‎"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him." - Rooster Cogburn

Comment

The original was from msnbc ( http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com...x?feat=1337558 ). Doing a little more digging I found this on the Wall Street Journal....

The Wall Street Journal has apparently procured a little inside knowledge on the plan, and, if accurate, there are a few surprises. First, the expected: Chrysler will begin offering the Fiat 500 in its own U.S. dealerships as soon as possible; Alfa Romeo will make its long-awaited American comeback with an established dealer network and the majority of the Dodge and Chrysler lineups will be reworked atop Fiat platforms, save the rear-wheel drive architecture of the Dodge Charger/Challenger and Chrysler 300.

Maybe there is hope for the Charger since the CV is going by the wayside.
            Last edited by biggesto; 10-27-2009, 09:24 PM.
            "Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide."
            John Adams, April 15, 1814

Comment

Yeah, I read something several months ago, if not early last year, that suggested Chargers would be phased out. Organizations publish new ideas all the time with some of them seemingly coming from out of nowhere.

Comment

Originally posted by leesrt View Post
                To be correct it's the other way around. Chrysler is the parent company so you don't have to get rid of a line to keep the vehicle going. You can pull the Charger under Chrysler without killing the vehicle, all it is a is name plate stuck to the vehicle.
                I know that. Chrysler introduced the Ram brand because it controls Dodge, and it is removing the Dodge name from Ram trucks. That suggested that Chrysler was going to do away with the Dodge brand.

Mechanically, there is no difference between a Dodge Charger and a Chrysler 300. For other products, I don't even notice a styling difference.
                Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
                Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by DAL View Post
                  I know that. Chrysler introduced the Ram brand because it controls Dodge, and it is removing the Dodge name from Ram trucks. That suggested that Chrysler was going to do away with the Dodge brand.

Mechanically, there is no difference between a Dodge Charger and a Chrysler 300. For other products, I don't even notice a styling difference.
                  There is a difference but I understand what your saying.
                  The suspension set ups are different as well as the transmission setups but yes, they are interchangeable.

Comment

Originally posted by leesrt View Post

Having worked for Chrysler for 3 years I can tell you that asside from the first 2 years of the Chrysler 300, Dodge is the workhorse of the company and sells the most vehicle. It's not even comparible.

The fact that they want to kill the main staple of the company and make these little european shopping carts shows me that this guy is more about expanding Fiat than he is making Chrysler strong again.

This guy has no idea what will be succesful in America and will fail misserably. We need someone who can build a company with identity and a platform design that can mature without taking away it's identity. An example is BMW. Have you ever seen a BMW anything and not known immediatly that it was a BMW? Their cars have matured over the years and still maintain their classic identity.

You say BMW is a luxary car and doesn't compare? Take a look at what any Chrysler car costs once it's been set up with some creature comforts like leather, entertainment system, better engine and tranny. It costs about the same as nicely equiped 3 series BMW's.

I wish Ford would pull their head out and modify the CVPI or the Taurus to have the actual Mustang engine and RWD. This is such an easy fix that it hurts my head wodering why they are so retarded to not have done this already. Why didn't they do this with the CVPI from the start? Why do we have the same engine as the Mustang but it's detuned to 250HP. The car weighs nearly 4,500lbs with all the equipment we carry, it needs the Mustang engine more than the Mustang does.

Chrysler hasn't been strong since well before their first government bailout. The only good products they make now are their diesel trucks and the Jeep Wrangler and Grand Cherokee. They didn't want to listen to the consumers - the fact that people want refined vehicles with nice interiors - and they kept making cars that had crappy plastic interiors that fall apart within 20,000 miles.

Comment

Originally posted by biggesto View Post
                      The original was from msnbc...
                      Well there's your problem right there. MSNBC ceased being an actual news agency years ago and spend most of their time reporting on things they'd like to be true or what the Dems tell them to say....
                      Originally posted by kontemplerande
                      Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

Why would Chrysler get rid of it's best selling vehicle? That doesn't make any sense.
                        Geaux Tigers

Comment

Looks like I better hurry up and snatch me a charger srt-8, looks like this car is going to be a classic 20 to 30 yrs from now

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6488 users online. 351 members and 6137 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X