300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ideas to combat car break ins

Has anybody had a particularly effective method of reducing car break ins with anything other than stakeouts? My agency doesn't have enough auto theft for the insurance companies to give us a bait car and we don't have a lot of dough, but maybe could scrape up some if there was a good idea we could implement. PM if you don't feel comfortable revealing your method to the public at large.
    Be dangerous, and unpredictable... and make a lot of noise. - John Bush, Anthrax

Contacting everyone you can. Get in everyones pockets you can. Write everyone that steps in the street not in accordance with your traffic code(same goes for bicycles).

Eventually, you'll grab the right person or the point will otherwise get across.

Strict enforcement. With common sense, of course.

Comment

Best is snagging the SOB's doing most of the crime. Another part is public education. Lock your car doors and don't leave anything in the car.

Nothing to steal and it will stop.
      The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by Monkeybomb View Post
        Another part is public education. Lock your car doors and don't leave anything in the car.

Nothing to steal and it will stop.
        Yes, yes, yes. I ask people, would you leave a thousand dollars in cash sitting on your front passenger seat? The answer is always no. Then why would you leave a thousand dollar laptop sitting on your front passenger seat?

We used to have these little tags that said something like "this property was checked by officer _______. " and were made to hang on door knobs/handles. They had fill in the blanks for why it was checked and how you could improve security. Maybe something like that would help educate folks.
        I miss you, Dave.
        http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

Start hitting the area with warrant sweeps, lots of them. Also you might want to put some bait out

Comment

I created a pamphlet attempting to educate the public not to leave ANYTHING in your vehicle. We just started placing them on cars in high criminal trespass areas but I am sceptical that it will actually reduce crime. PM me and I can send you a copy of the pamphlet.
            I have the heart of a child..................................No really, it is in a jar on my desk.

Comment

Wait until a vehicle owner kills somebody breaking into their car. Then broadcast it on the news.

Comment

Originally posted by iamacop View Post
                Wait until a vehicle owner kills somebody breaking into their car. Then broadcast it on the news.
                With an accompanying announcement that you're giving said vehicle owner another box of bullets!
                "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

Originally posted by JKralC104 View Post
                  Contacting everyone you can. Get in everyones pockets you can. Write everyone that steps in the street not in accordance with your traffic code(same goes for bicycles).

Eventually, you'll grab the right person or the point will otherwise get across.

Strict enforcement. With common sense, of course.
                  I agree with this and has worked for us.

I printed up a few pamphlets and when I had time would walk a few streets and would check for unlocked doors or items of value in plain view. If the door was unlocked, I'd toss the pamphlet on the drivers seat. The pamphlet explains how they could have just been a victim and steps to prevent it from happening.

Comment

I had a friend who lived on the top floor of my building who owned a new M series BMW when I lived in Brooklyn, NY. On certain weekends in my area a lot of people would come into the area around this time of the year at night. He left his mean looking pit bull in the car a few times on especially crowed nights when the weather was cool. The dog was a sweetheart but she did not look it one bit. The dog did not seem to mind sleeping in the car either.

Comment

There is no better protection than a trunk monkey!
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MmROefZT8I
                      “Every society gets the kind of criminal it deserves. What is equally true is that every community gets the kind of law enforcement it insists on.” - Robert F. Kennedy.

Comment

Originally posted by iamacop View Post
                        It's been tried! Unfortunately it did not deter the would be thief from doing it again. The colostomy bag wearing crackhead was at it again soon after getting out the hospital.

Comment

Yeah, how about not leaving any valuables inside your car? In plain view? With the door unlocked?

Comment

I have it on good authority that this guy's vehicle hasn't yet been forcibly entered.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

Originally posted by marty33 View Post
                              Yeah, how about not leaving any valuables inside your car? In plain view? With the door unlocked?
                              SHHH! You're using common sense.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2166 users online. 145 members and 2021 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X