300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big thank you to a certain "cop" from Tampa PD

I just wanted to thank the "cop" from Tampa PD who wrote my cousin a speeding summons a few days ago. My cousin is a Lieutenant (O-3) in the United States Navy, a bronze star recipient, and had only been in the United States for less than two weeks because he was serving in Afghanistan for the past 18 months. In fact, he was on his way back from the storage facility that was holding onto all of his stuff while he was overseas. The "cop" asked my cousin what all of the stuff in his truck was and he explained that he just got back from Afghanistan 10 days ago and was on his way back from picking up all of his stuff. Apparently that didn't phase this top "cop" from Tampa PD and he wrote my cousin a speeding summons. So to that Tampa PD "cop": Keep up the good work, you are making a real difference out there by banging the bronze star recipient who just spent 18 months of his life fighting in Afghanistan for you and your family's freedom. Your "welcome home" comment after handing him the summons was a nice touch to the whole encounter.

Oh and just to add to this, this "cop" wrote a summons to someone whose father as well as all of his uncles are on the job in New York City.
    Last edited by EnWhyPeeDee; 10-25-2009, 04:01 PM.

Been awhile since there was one of these threads.. Oh well I'll get the popcorn, here we go again.
    Seriously, the only reason I wanted to be a cop was so I could post anywhere on this forum.

Comment

Good lord, again?
      For every one hundred men you send us,
      Ten should not even be here.
      Eighty are nothing but targets.
      Nine of them are real fighters;
      We are lucky to have them, they the battle make.
      Ah, but the one. One of them is a warrior.
      And he will bring the others back.

Comment

Being a MP in the Army, I deal with people all the time just coming back from somewhere. I’ve been to a lot of those places myself. I have no problem writing those tickets. Medals get no weight in the decision process as to write or not, as does rank. Well actually rank does, I’ll write “O” grades every time, as well as senior NCO’s. Officers and NCO’s are supposed to set the standard in the military, not slide under it.

Comment

Originally posted by (S)Sgt Elmer View Post
          Dispatch the Whaaaaambulance.
          Thanks for your contribution to this thread...

Felt the need to edit your original reply that is posted above in quotes?
          Last edited by EnWhyPeeDee; 10-25-2009, 04:35 PM. Reason: Addition

Comment

Originally posted by arcop223 View Post
            Being a MP in the Army, I deal with people all the time just coming back from somewhere. I’ve been to a lot of those places myself. I have no problem writing those tickets. Medals get no weight in the decision process as to write or not, as does rank. Well actually rank does, I’ll write “O” grades every time, as well as senior NCO’s. Officers and NCO’s are supposed to set the standard in the military, not slide under it.
            First and foremost, thank you for serving and protecting myself and my family.

While I respect your view, I have given breaks to and will continue to give breaks to active military, retired military, and veterans who show proper ID. While their status in the military doesn't give them the right to break the law, it does afford them the opportunity to get professional courtesy from me if they are respectful and present themselves in a courteous manner.

Comment

So basically what you are saying is that anyone who has anything to do with law enforcement gets a free ticket to do what ever they want? I was in the military and if he really was a "true" leader and role model, he would acknowledge that he was speeding and take responsibility for his actions.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbot View Post
                So basically what you are saying is that anyone who has anything to do with law enforcement gets a free ticket to do what ever they want? I was in the military and if he really was a "true" leader and role model, he would acknowledge that he was speeding and take responsibility for his actions.
                I never once mentioned that anyone in Law Enforcement has a free ticket to do whatever they want. Personally though, I have not and won't write a summons to a cop or a cop's family member (retired/active). I won't even lock a cop up for DWI unless there is an accident with another vehicle and it is a must arrest situation. A ride home or have someone come and pick the cop up is fine with me as long as he/she is no longer driving.

My cousin was speeding, he wasn't out there robbing some store or assaulting someone. It's a BS vehicle and traffic law infraction. VTL is a very small part of law enforcement and is more of a money generator than anything else. I personally could careless about writing someone a summons for not turning on their directional when they turn. When I stop cars, I am looking for guns or drugs. The majority of the time I don't even bother writing one if the person is courteous and respectful to me. Warn and admonish. Discretion....use it.

Comment

Tell your cousin to slow down. That way the officer can focus on getting guns and drugs like you and not have to worry about the "speeding hero Lt".

Comment

This is the most ridiculous thread ever. Was the bronze star weighing down the gas pedal? His service and his bronze star have NOTHING to do with him violating the speed limit. I served, doesn't give me carte blanche to go out and speed. While he's "fighting for us" against foreign enemies over there, I'm here protecting his family against domestic enemies. Sounds pretty square to me.

Get over yourself, your cousin was speeding and was cited for it. Big friggin deal.
                    Originally posted by K40
                    To me, open carry is the equivalent of the couple making out and groping each other at the food court in the mall. Yeah, they are probably legal, as long as they don't start getting undressed. But they are still social retards.
                    ‎"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him." - Rooster Cogburn

Comment

Originally posted by EnWhyPeeDee View Post
                      I never once mentioned that anyone in Law Enforcement has a free ticket to do whatever they want. Personally though, I have not and won't write a summons to a cop or a cop's family member (retired/active). I won't even lock a cop up for DWI unless there is an accident with another vehicle and it is a must arrest situation. A ride home or have someone come and pick the cop up is fine with me as long as he/she is no longer driving.

My cousin was speeding, he wasn't out there robbing some store or assaulting someone. It's a BS vehicle and traffic law infraction. VTL is a very small part of law enforcement and is more of a money generator than anything else. I personally could careless about writing someone a summons for not turning on their directional when they turn. When I stop cars, I am looking for guns or drugs. The majority of the time I don't even bother writing one if the person is courteous and respectful to me. Warn and admonish. Discretion....use it.
                      He did, and he obviously felt that your cousin deserved a citation for his actions. Your posts are awfully anti-law enforcement.
                      Originally posted by K40
                      To me, open carry is the equivalent of the couple making out and groping each other at the food court in the mall. Yeah, they are probably legal, as long as they don't start getting undressed. But they are still social retards.
                      ‎"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him." - Rooster Cogburn

Comment

Originally posted by EnWhyPeeDee View Post

Consider this: apparently you weren't there, were you?

You are so willing to give a break to others, and yet you won't give credence to this officer? The double standards - weak though they may be - sure do illustrate a lot more about NYPD than I will bet your higher-ups would hope others would learn from a place like this.

I get the point: you are out there to catch the "real" bad guys (good for you! gee, thanks, Superman!) and others should get a ride. You have obviously never been schooled in the "broken window" philosophy of social order.

You say that others should use discretion, and yet you use none at all in judging an officer from away whose actions you were not a witness to! Spare me your false indignation - your cousin got caught and as the supposed leader that you pretend to illustrate him to be, he should own up to his being caught. I highly doubt a person of the character required to earn a Bronze Star really needs someone else to argue/whine his case for him on an internet forum.

As far as being related to an officer, being in the military, or whatever: Teddy K. was the brother of the president of the United States and he still drowned that girl. Did he deserve a break, too? Or weren't you there, either?

Let it go, let your cousin fight his own battles - as with a Bronze Star he certainly has shown that he can - and take your whining elsewhere. I will say this - if someone of any uniform was whining as much as you are here I would be staying a bit longer through the stop, finding every possible extra ticket to write you. Then at my first break I'd be calling your agency to find out if everyone there is as big a whiner as you or if they just happened to let one slip through the BI process and are now stuck with Capt. Whiney.

If you really want to buy it, you're going to have to own it.
                        The opinions expressed here are from the individual only and do not represent the view of any agency that the poster may be affiliated with

Comment

He used discretion. You weren't there. You don't know what was said or what happened. You of all people should know that. Of course, only NYC cops do real police work, right? pfft

Comment

Comment

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6330 users online. 336 members and 5994 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X