300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "TASER Issues Advisory"

I haven't seen this anywhere else yet... it came through our statewide e-mail list, so take it for what it's worth -- it's written by the AP. It seems to conflict with much of what TASER has said about the cardiac impact of TASERs.

Taser issues advisory
    Associated Press - October 21, 2009 9:24 AM ET

PHOENIX (AP) - Scottsdale-based Taser International is advising police agencies here and across the nation not to shoot its stun guns at a suspect's chest, saying it could pose an extremely low risk of an "adverse cardiac event."

The advisory was issued in an Oct. 12 training bulletin. It marks the first time that Taser has suggested there is any risk of a cardiac arrest related to the use of its 50,000 volt stun guns.

Taser officials said Tuesday the bulletin does not state that Tasers can cause cardiac arrest. They said the advisory means only that law-enforcement agencies can avoid controversy if their officers aim at areas other than the chest.

Civil-rights lawyers and human-rights advocates said the training bulletin is an admission by Taser that its guns could cause cardiac arrest.

Critics called it a stunning reversal for the company, which for years has maintained that its stun gun was incapable of inducing a cardiac arrest.
    http://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireStory?id=8878810

I see some policy re-writes around the corner...

ADDED: TASER memo and training bulletin: http://www.taser.com/training/Docume...20Warnings.pdf
    Last edited by Resq14; 10-22-2009, 12:14 AM.
    All Gave Some - Some Gave All

{"data-align":"none","data-size":"custom","data-tempid":"temp_14312_1475388990098_890","height":"65","title":"flower.gif","width":"72"}

I see a CYA from taser. Never thought they go this way but lawyers probably screwed this up and now police agencies are going to get sued left and right for two stupid darts that couldn't possibly fly in a straight line in actual use.

Comment

Again, center mass is the way to go. The darts normally split, so actually trying for an arm is gonna end terribly. If my agency changes policy, im probably going to go hands on a little more often....
      NEVER TURN YOUR LIFE AROUND. Most people that do end up shot stabbed or maimed in other violent ways....

Comment

Oh I agree it's completely CYA.

But you know how PD admins are... they will swallow CYA hook line and sinker, and I guess they kind of have to if the manufacturer is the one that opens the door to it.

I just hope our policy isn't changed to make it so that it is no longer a useful tool. I can see something annoyingly restrictive added like "TASER may only be used if deadly force is justified, and it is used under the coverage of a firearm or other deadly force."

I'm worried.

I'd like to read the actual training bulletin where this was brought up...
        Last edited by Resq14; 10-22-2009, 12:04 AM.

{"data-align":"none","data-size":"custom","data-tempid":"temp_14312_1475388990098_890","height":"65","title":"flower.gif","width":"72"}

Comment

Hahahahaha....well, looks like my taser will be collecting dust on my belt...
          It's better to be tried by twelve than carried by six...

Comment

here is the memo:

http://www.taser.com/training/Docume...20Warnings.pdf

It seems pretty reasonable and I hope no policy changes result...
            Last edited by Resq14; 10-22-2009, 12:14 AM.

Comment

I don't understand what the up roar is about. The message states we should aim a little lower to avoid the allegations that the taser caused a heart related issue.

In summary, because it would be hard to prove or disprove whether the taser caused a cardiac arrest it's easier to just avoid the issue by aiming a little lower.

We all know that someone with a weak heart will respond much better to being beaten with a baton or being shot by a gun than they would a 5 second electric shock.

I think everyone is reading to much into this.
              Due to the Juvenile bickering and annoying trolling committed by members of this forum I have started an igore list. If your name is listed below I can't see you.

CityCopDC, Fire Moose, Carbonfiberfoot, Damiansolomon

Comment

I'm just worried about overreaction at the administrative level.

Comment

A policy re-write for our agency is on the way.

Comment

Taser officials said Tuesday the bulletin does not state that Tasers can cause cardiac arrest. They said the advisory means only that law-enforcement agencies can avoid controversy if their officers aim at areas other than the chest.
                    less controversy than if their officers double-tap to center mass with their service pistols. that's the main thing those complaining overlook. the option for stopping an agressor from grappling is usually significantly more damaging to the perp.

Comment

Originally posted by 441A View Post
                      Again, center mass is the way to go. The darts normally split, so actually trying for an arm is gonna end terribly. If my agency changes policy, im probably going to go hands on a little more often....
                      You said it Bro. The damn thing is hard enough trying to hit center mass. An arm or leg shot is just about impossible. Alot of policy changes are coming. If your dept. policy is still, aim for center mass, you will be ok if you taze someone there. But if the policy changes, and you get a hit there, now your on your own. I do see alot more hands on coming from this.

Comment

What should have been covered in any refresher training or the newer modules is that TASER specifically says to not target the chest area OR "center mass". If that's the only area you have to target, then fine. Us it. But, there is very low muscle mass in the chest. Also, with the TASER, people tend to deploy the darts a little higher. We know the X26 is super light and the slightest movement will skew where your darts are going to land. Chest area is close enough to have possibilities of lodging a dart in the head/face/neck area. A 0.25% chance of causing Sudden Cardiac Arrest is a statistical 'zero'. Same thing TASER's been preaching all along. For those not good with decimals, that's a one quarter of one percent chance. Like someone else said, if you don't target the chest area, it only helps later on when litigation is brought in.

TASER's training says to "split the beltline" for NMI. That is, one probe above and one probe below the belt. And they prefer the back as a target so you engage all the large muscle muscle groups. This activates all the muscles in the body. While their SHOULD be no policy changes as a result of this newest bulletin, invariably administrators who are NOT instructors and therefore don't understand how the devices work will get a pucker factor of 10.

For those of you who think your policies will change to prohibit TASER deployments to specific areas, I recommend speaking with your TASER instructors and union/association/FOP people to get their take on it. Just like batons, there are particular areas you'd prefer not to strike, but they shouldn't be wholly off-limit.
                        NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

Comment

"Please kind sir....extend your pinky finger so that I may perhaps Taze you".
                          The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."
                          Ronald Reagan

Comment

Just did an "all-mdt" to my squad. Getting ready to call training div. to see if they have seen it.

Comment

Well guess you will just have to aim lower.... groin height should be cardiac safe.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4973 users online. 280 members and 4693 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X