Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Our department does charge for business alarms. After so many false alarms they are charged $100 each. We are also in the process of trying to reduce reports we have to take. We now have a civil report so that if someone has a civil complaint they have to come to the front desk and fill the report out themselves. An officer is only required to pull an incident report number and verify the persons ID. We are trying to add lost property, drive offs and other incidents to the list.

As far a s one comment about leaving someone in a dark parking lot in the middle of the night because they dont have cash on them we are proposing to add the lockouts to our machine we issue parking tickets from so that no money is handled by the officers and the person has two weeks to pay.

The trend in our area is charging for more nonessential services. I would be fine if we changed our policy to only do lock outs in emergency situations and that would be proposed as an option.

My department has 190 sworn in a town of 160,000. A typical night shift patrol has between 13 - 18 officers on the road. It is a strain on the limited resources we have we are always fighting to get more officers on patrol.

The other trend in our area is administrative tow fees for arrests. Our regular tow fee is $150. Many towns have added the administrative fee for no insurance, suspended plates, etc. Average fee is an additional $300. Some towns have gone as far as $500 for tinited windows or loud muffler. We are trying to find happy mediums.

Comment

Originally posted by PtlCop View Post
      I didn't belittle anyone. I pointed out a weak argument. There's a difference.
      You did belittle, you continue to do so, and the liability issue is NOT a weak argument. LADEP pretty well stated the case for my agency as well as his. If what you do, works well for you and your Department, that's great. Your Department''s policy simply does not have universal application. We're supposed to be colleagues here. We get enough "attitude" from some of our civilian posters. I'd certainly appreciate not having that same attitude from a colleague.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post
        You did belittle, you continue to do so, and the liability issue is NOT a weak argument. LADEP pretty well stated the case for my agency as well as his. If what you do, works well for you and your Department, that's great. Your Department''s policy simply does not have universal application. We're supposed to be colleagues here. We get enough "attitude" from some of our civilian posters. I'd certainly appreciate not having that same attitude from a colleague.
        Well, I'm sorry if you feel like I belittled you, that was simply not my intention. I think the liability argument is weak, you do not. We're allowed to disagree. Again, I did not intend for you to feel belittled.
        Originally posted by K40
        To me, open carry is the equivalent of the couple making out and groping each other at the food court in the mall. Yeah, they are probably legal, as long as they don't start getting undressed. But they are still social retards.
        ‎"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him." - Rooster Cogburn

Comment

Originally posted by erichard78 View Post
          Our department does charge for business alarms. After so many false alarms they are charged $100 each. We are also in the process of trying to reduce reports we have to take. We now have a civil report so that if someone has a civil complaint they have to come to the front desk and fill the report out themselves. An officer is only required to pull an incident report number and verify the persons ID. We are trying to add lost property, drive offs and other incidents to the list.

As far a s one comment about leaving someone in a dark parking lot in the middle of the night because they dont have cash on them we are proposing to add the lockouts to our machine we issue parking tickets from so that no money is handled by the officers and the person has two weeks to pay.

The trend in our area is charging for more nonessential services. I would be fine if we changed our policy to only do lock outs in emergency situations and that would be proposed as an option.

My department has 190 sworn in a town of 160,000. A typical night shift patrol has between 13 - 18 officers on the road. It is a strain on the limited resources we have we are always fighting to get more officers on patrol.

The other trend in our area is administrative tow fees for arrests. Our regular tow fee is $150. Many towns have added the administrative fee for no insurance, suspended plates, etc. Average fee is an additional $300. Some towns have gone as far as $500 for tinited windows or loud muffler. We are trying to find happy mediums.
          Sent you a PM

Comment

"Drive off" as in theft of gas? How is that a civil complaint?
            Originally posted by K40
            To me, open carry is the equivalent of the couple making out and groping each other at the food court in the mall. Yeah, they are probably legal, as long as they don't start getting undressed. But they are still social retards.
            ‎"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him." - Rooster Cogburn

Comment

I have worked at a department that performed the unlocks for people and one officer was jammed up over $70.00 worth of damage even with the waiver signed. Since the the woman couldn't get very far with the $$ complainant she filed a complaint against the officer, I believe, making up excrement against the officer. Did it go anywhere? No, but it did have an IA for the complaint. PITA for the officer, time wasted by the IA. I did have one woman complain that I took too long to get there, less then 5 minutes. Also there seems to an increase in these calls when it rains. I admit I am terrible at unlocking cars, it might be Freudian.
              Ut humiliter opinor

Comment

I did not say that we feel a theft of gas or "drive off" is by anyway a civil issue. Some people suggested that we make someone from the gas station come in and fill out a similar form due to two reasons:

1. The stations in our town have the ability to make the pumps "pay to pump" meaning there credit card must be approved first or they pay cash inside. They do not do this because they feel since Naperville is such a great place to live this sends the wrong image.

2. When we track the person down who stole the gas they refuse to press charges just want us to get the money for them. We are not a collection agency.

That being said we feel if it requires more work on their part they will do more to protect themselves from the drive offs or when we catch the guy be more willing to press charges.

Comment

Wow, What an amazing mindset!! These stores have the ability to prevent the drive-offs and don't use it. Sends the wrong message? Sends a "Y'all come to the Gas-skip artists. Then, they want the PD to act as a collection agency. Not criticising you Rich, but that is one&&^%$ up attitude on the part of the merchants.

Comment

I am also putting a proposal together to get funding to switch our current shotgun mounts to a universal mount that can accept both shotguns and rifles.
                    Weapon mount? We just toss them in the floor board or wedge them behind the headrest with a bottle of hand sanitizer. How is that for cost effective A few officers bought hunting style truck racks.
                    Any views or opinions presented by this prenomen are solely those of a burlesque author and do not necessarily represent those of a LEA or caementum couturier.

nom de plume

This is the internet- take all information with a grain of salt. Such could be valid and true or could be typed just for playing devils advocate.

Comment

Originally posted by just joe View Post
                      If you're going to charge for anything, charge for multiple false business and residential alarms.
                      x100 on that

I noticed that a nearby city has the fines posted - every violation that was the resulting accident has a 500.00 increase in the fine amount. Run a red light 135.00 - run a red light and crash 635.00
                      Any views or opinions presented by this prenomen are solely those of a burlesque author and do not necessarily represent those of a LEA or caementum couturier.

nom de plume

This is the internet- take all information with a grain of salt. Such could be valid and true or could be typed just for playing devils advocate.

Comment

We currently have on red light camera and have just added two more, those cameras are in the 30 warning period. I like the idea of the added fine for running a red light and causing a crash.

As for the comment about the rifle mounts, we currently use Big Sky mounts but are looking at Santa Cruz mounts. Santa cruz has a universal mount that can switch from shotgun to rifle easily. I am going to instal one today to test it out. Our current rack only accepts shotguns and per our G.O.s the rifles have to be kept in the trunk. I dont like this because if the situation comes when I need it I might not have the ability to run to my trunk and get it out.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4175 users online. 258 members and 3917 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X