300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Admin

We finally got a new chief. She starts sometime near the end of the month. She has 25 years in and was a Lt for one of the SO that my town is in. I have never heard anybody say anything negative about her, infact EVERYBODY at her former agency speaks very highly of her, including the brass. I have put in for another department and am almost certain that I will be offered the position. My current agency has a "negative" image with the surrounding communities. Most of the officers have been fired or were forced to resign from their former agencies, and most have been employeed by atleast 5 departments. My town is labled as the countys' "arm pit" and 17% of the population live below poverty. The department I have applied with is a "higher" class of people and typically dont have that much going on, but its bigger, and growing. I have been told by my former chief and my sisters husband that I should get out of the dept as soon as possible and that not many agencies in my area hire officers from my dept. Do I leave now with the opportunity to go to another dept, or do I stay and see if the new chief will straighten things out and make it a better agency.
    Striving to create a world in which I am no longer needed. 1*

It is obviously up to you. If you like the community and the officers that you work with know, I say stick it out and see if the new Chief can make things better. If not, you have nothing to lose by leaving. On the other hand, what if you get to the new department and hate everyone you work with and hate your new demographic?

Comment

Your agency has a rep. She's not going to be able to change it that fast. Every county/region has a place like that (least here in NC they do). Move on. Don't burn bridges, but move on.
      sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

It will take years to change the rep of your dept, assuming she does well and it changes for the better. So you need to be in it for the long haul.

Comment

Maybe you're in a position to move up in your current agency and help with the purging of the problem children?

Comment

Can't make the call for you, but it sounds like moving on might be a good move. You might not get another opportunity for awhile.

Comment

Do what's best for your future and career. Not what's best for now.
              -Stay safe

Comment

Originally posted by Smurfette_76 View Post
                Your agency has a rep. She's not going to be able to change it that fast. Every county/region has a place like that (least here in NC they do). Move on. Don't burn bridges, but move on.
                +1. Our sister agency here is still suffering from events that occurred 20-30 years ago. They've worked very hard to become a strong, professional agency but still the underpinnings of the "old ways" still rears its ugly head.
                Originally posted by kontemplerande
                Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6315 users online. 334 members and 5981 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X