300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question

Has anyone ever come across a postal worker speeding while on they are on duty and if so can we stop them and then ticket them? I have been told that they are exempt for traffic violations while on duty. Please advise if there is such an exemption and please direct me to the right U.S code. Thanks.

Originally posted by wolfiePO805 View Post
    Has anyone ever come across a postal worker speeding while on they are on duty and if so can we stop them and then ticket them? I have been told that they are exempt for traffic violations while on duty. Please advise if there is such an exemption and please direct me to the right U.S code. Thanks.
    I don't know the code, I'll research it though. They are exempt from CERTAIN violations such as driving off the paved roadway, etc. All speed limits are still applicable as far as I'm aware. I'll post when I find it.
    Invisible Signature.......FAIL

Comment

RDEP pretty well covered it, and I'll leave the detailed research to him. Basically, a Postal Vehicle, whether Govt owned, or contracted, is subject to all applicable traffic laws. Ie: speed, right of way, traffic lights, stop signs, etc. Rural route carriers are often permitted to drive on the "wrong side" of the roadway when delivering mail. Rather often their vehicles will have the controls on the "rider's side" of the vehicle. In some states, Rural Mail Carriers are permitted to carry a firearm while performing their Postal duties. Essentially, a Postal Driver is not exempt from any traffic laws which by their very nature, would apply to them. As a sidebar, and when I was working wrecks as a primary duty, I found that the Postal Service was very, very concerned that it's employees were operating Postal vehicles safely. Quite often, I would have a Post Office representative on scene with me, while I was investigating the accident. Never had a problem with them. They were submitting their own report to their agency.

Comment

USPS vehicles have no exemptions from the law. If you see them speeding, stop and write for your local or state speed laws. For example, in CA they would be cited for 22350 of the Vehicle Code for violation of the basic speed laws or 22349 for exceeding the maximum speed laws.
        Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

The only things they can do is things that are relevant to the job (driving off the roadway, stuff like that). With that said, I have never seen a postal worker (or UPS, or any other major parcel service) speeding or driving recklessly while in a work vehicle. I know at UPS you're in big trouble if you get a ticket in their vehicles, I'm sure USPS is no different.

Comment

Why you gotta **** with my mail delivery?

ZIP moves the mail!
            Free Deke O'Mally!!!

Comment

Yep I have stopped plenty of them. A few i would have written a ticket to. But I have yet to have one produce a registration. I have never been able to figure out what their vehicle was much less year etc. They all got a verbal.

Several have gotten tickets for at fault accidents though.
              The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

I'll have to find the relevant decision but here it is in a nutshell. Technically speaking you are forbiden from making a stop on a postal vehicle

Title XVIII
                § 1701. Obstruction of mails generally
                Whoever knowingly and willfully obstructs or retards the passage of the mail, or any carrier or conveyance carrying the mail, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than six months, or both.

However you are free to notify postal inspectors in your area who will willingly deal with the problem. In fact last time I spoke with a postal inspector he said they can actually charge them for the same offense federally for driving in a hazardous maner.
                Today's Quote:

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
                Albert Einstein

Comment

In TX, I'm only aware of the exemption of seatbelt law, WHILE delivering the mail. They still have to wear it if, for example, they are driving from one rural route to another.

SO, I don't know of a speeding exemption.
                  If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

---Jack Handey

Comment

Just an update the postal worker was in his own vehicle no markings at all and was clocked doing 47 in 35 so when the I tried to stop him he wouldn't pull over until he was at the post office.

Comment

Originally posted by mdrdep View Post
                      I'll have to find the relevant decision but here it is in a nutshell. Technically speaking you are forbiden from making a stop on a postal vehicle

Title XVIII
                      § 1701. Obstruction of mails generally
                      Whoever knowingly and willfully obstructs or retards the passage of the mail, or any carrier or conveyance carrying the mail, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than six months, or both.
                      Uh oh... You better tear down EVERY stop sign, traffic light, etc. and restrict ANY other vehicle from using any roadway since they might be going slower than a mail vehicle desires to.

Wait a minute. Maybe we should think logically here. The law to not obstruct mail operations wasn't intended to be applied to traffic situations. It was to protect the carrier from being harassed by any person who might be trying to refuse access to a certain area.
                      Last edited by RDEP; 10-12-2009, 01:11 PM.
                      Invisible Signature.......FAIL

Comment

Just an update the postal worker was in his own vehicle no markings at all and was clocked doing 47 in 35 so when the I tried to stop him he wouldn't pull over until he was at the post office.
                        Refusing to stop!

He would be in handcuffs!

Why is this even a question?

Comment

Two charges:
                          1) Unlawful Speed
                          2).Failure to obey direction(s) of a Police Officer or the charge appropriate
                          for your state.

Comment

If it was more than a couple blocks and they knew I was there, they would be in the jail. No questions asked. That would have been a warning from me that turned into an in custody arrest quickly.
                            The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

Exempt from seatbelt laws here, same as any other courier that must frequently exit their vehicle.

Vehicles actually owned by the USPS are exempt from having to register the vehicle and display license plates, but contract vehicles are not.

Otherwise, fair game if you're so inclined.
                              I miss you, Dave.
                              http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5063 users online. 277 members and 4786 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X