NEW Welcome Ad

Collapse

Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's official, Chevy Caprce to return to US market for police use...

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LA DEP View Post
    Bring back the old 'square back' Caprice, and throw in the LT1 engine.....and some better brakes......even though it still had better brakes than the old 'all go, no stop' Ford LTD2, the brakes still didnt last for more than a few hard stops......
    You wouldn't be able to get that cool sound from flipping over the breather cover if you dropped a fuel injected LT1 in it. Anything beats that raddyas5 Diplomat I was stuck with as a rook.
    sigpic

" 'Blessed are the Peacemakers', is, I suppose, to be understood in the other world, for in this one they are frequently cursed." - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by kcso View Post
      You wouldn't be able to get that cool sound from flipping over the breather cover if you dropped a fuel injected LT1 in it. Anything beats that raddyas5 Diplomat I was stuck with as a rook.
      Heh.....thats true.....

When you were knee deep in the crap, there was no sweeter sound that the snarl of those engines though.....

The Diplomat was a bit before my time.....we did have a few....everyone hated them
      The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

Well, the 'un neutered' Caprice with the LT1 engine had a listed top end of 150+.......some agencies put speed governors on the cars though.....

Ours topped out at around 130 or so.....so I heard anyway.....
        I thought the old Caprices were cali'd at 199 mph for top speed on the digital speedometer???
        Most people fail because they trade what they want MOST, for what they want at the MOMENT.

The heart is deceitful above all things and desperately wicked, WHO can know it?
        -Jeremiah 17:9

Is it any surprise that cops don't trust anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by In It To Win It View Post
          I thought the old Caprices were cali'd at 199 mph for top speed on the digital speedometer???
          They might have been....what I remember being told by our EVOC trainers was that the unneutered LT1 Caprice topped out at 150-160 or so.....and the LT1 Camaro topped out at 180 plus......ours had speed governors installed.

Way too much speed for an urban area.....we had guys stacking those Caparices' up left and right when we got them.....dont know how we didnt lose anybody.....
          The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

Well, the 'un neutered' Caprice with the LT1 engine had a listed top end of 150+.......some agencies put speed governors on the cars though.....

Ours topped out at around 130 or so.....so I heard anyway.....
            I heard the same thing

Comment

They might have been....what I remember being told by our EVOC trainers was that the unneutered LT1 Caprice topped out at 150-160 or so.....and the LT1 Camaro topped out at 180 plus......ours had speed governors installed.

Way too much speed for an urban area.....we had guys stacking those Caparices' up left and right when we got them.....dont know how we didnt lose anybody.....
              I know they would do at least 153

we'll leave it at that..................

Near the end of this month my dept. will be doing their annual testing. They have announced that the Dodge Charger, Dodge Magnum, Ford C/V, Chevy Impala, and Chevy Tahoe will be tested. The Carbon Motors E7 and Chevy Caprice will be on display (but not tested).

They will also be testing motorcycles from BMW, Harley, and Honda.

The testing will be open to L/E officers and fleet managers.

10/22/09 0900 to 1600 hrs in Fontana
              Today's Quote:

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
              Albert Einstein

Comment

I'll drive whatever we buy.... The gas is free....

Comment

No thanks, I'll keep my Charger. I'd be interested to see how the Caprice stacks up to it performance wise, but I'd never trade my beautiful baby in for that ugly thing.

Comment

Originally posted by kimb40
                    Yep, it's an Impala with a new name. Too dam small.
                    It has some styling of the Impala, but is MUCH larger, and is builton a completely different RWD platform with a completely different engine and interior. Nothing is the same between te two cars.

Comment

Originally posted by kcso View Post
                      I prefer the mid 90's Chevrolet Caprice LT1's. But unfortunately, those days are long gone. Newer officers have no idea what they missed.
                      +1!!! I wish I still had my 94 Caprice! Talk about ugly, they were, but it was the best police car I've had in my 26 years.

Comment

Those of you that are complaining about it, think about this.....

When the Crown Vic is done you can drive a Taurus or an Impala!! Yea not such a great thought after all.

GM did have one of the best patrol vehicles ever. 91-96 Caprice outperformed the CV of the times. There are still a few companies that refurbish them to keep some fleets going...http://www.geocities.com/onamarie.geo/chevyarticle.html (I know that's an old article, but I haven't looked for the other companies yet)

Give GM time.... they have been known to screw up other "announced" vehicles.

Personally, I still drive a 96 Cadillac Fleetwood (same underpinnings, drivetrain as Caprice, slightly longer) The CV is a gutless POS to me. But it's what I get to drive on shift, so I'll do what I can to enjoy it. We have new Chargers coming, but I certainly won't be getting one of those.

For some reason when you ask the close-to-retirement folk... they say "man that was an ugly car", but they always smile when thinking of those great shifts they had in that "upside down bathtub".
                        Last edited by 10-74 S8; 10-13-2009, 11:27 AM.
                        Quote of the week: "I was going how fast? And that's a school zone?"

Comment

Originally posted by 10-74 S8 View Post
                          The CV is a gutless POS to me.
                          Hopefully Ford keeps going with the crash proven CV because the anemic 281 is gone and there is a sweet new 302 replacing it.

2015 - 2020 - 2011 powertrain to be revealed at L.A. Autoshow - Didn't see it here, thought I'd give everyone the head's up... According to Autoblog Ford will reveal the 2011 Mustang powertrain at the LA Autoshow this year....
                          sigpic

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Trooper4985's official theme song

Comment

Hmmmmmmmm, wasn't involved in LE when the Caprice was popular, but I think I'd like to stick with my charger.

Comment

[QUOTE=10-74 S8;2020385]

The CV is a gutless POS to me.

Ha!! You obviously weren't around in the eighties...Try a Diplomat with a 318 that would cut off every time you turned right at speed, or a CV with the 302that wouldn't get out of it's own way.

The CV is a great patrol car, at least it has been for us. Most of our cars are hot seated, and the majority of our 06's are in the 90-100K range and still running fine. They are roomy, comfortable, and you can see well out of them. I will miss them when they are gone.

If the government will allow Chevy to produce this car, I'm more than willing to drive it...it looks great, and if the pics are accurate, seems to have plenty of room in it. They just need to put the gearshift on the column, which I'm sure they will do.
                              Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

Eh, I'd rather our dept just buys more tahoes.

Although I guess that's the advantage of being short, even an impala is fine for me

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4706 users online. 266 members and 4440 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X