NEW Welcome Ad

Collapse

Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's official, Chevy Caprce to return to US market for police use...

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last edited by GrayState; 01-25-2013, 07:26 PM.

Comment

Five photos from Edmunds.com

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
      Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

Comment

Maybe I'm just stupid on a Monday here, but I'm having trouble finding out what the actual length difference between this and the Crown Vic is. One of the things I hate most about the Crown Vic is the length. Might as well be driving a late 80's Cadillac Deville 4-door, I think.

Comment

From the video it looks like there is plenty of room in the front.
            Looks like plenty of room in the back as well. Way more room than the Impala. Interesting divider shield.
            The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by kcso View Post
              As I sit here looking at the dashboard of my Crown Vic, I think to myself, "I hate this car". Then I look at the pictures of this Caprice/Impala/Commodore hybrid and I say to myself "I hate that car too". Then, just as I thought that, a city cop drove by in his Tahoe and I thought "I hate that guy".
              HAHAHA!!! Good one. Reading that made my night.
              Anything worth shooting is worth shooting 3 or 4 times.

M-11

Comment

Originally posted by In It To Win It View Post
                No cruiser will ever match the room, the vette engine, the handling, and style of the 9C1 from '93-'96.
                Not only can it happen...is has.
                The room: The total interior volume of the two cars are virtually identical (literally within 1-2 cubic feet of each other). We'll call this a wash.
                The engine: LT1 had 260 HP. LS2's 355 HP cover it by nearly a hundred. No comparison.
                Handling: The old Caprices did handle well. However, have you driven a G8? This car will handle better, end of story.
                Style: Who cares. Police cars are not there to look pretty. They are a tool used to perform a job. The capability with which they do so is all that matters. That being said, I'm not a huge fan of the styling of the new car (although it could grow on me). I did like the styling of the old Caprice though.

Many lament the passing of the old Caprice. Compared to the Crown Vic, I can see where some want the old Cap back. However, this new Caprice looks like the real deal. Only time will tell though.
                Anything worth shooting is worth shooting 3 or 4 times.

M-11

Comment

I don't get where anyone is saying the old Caprice was a good looking car and the new one is ugly. Personally I think the old Caprice was one of the ugliest cars ever made. It may have worked, but it was ugly. Either way, the new car does have hints of the old car in it, namely the rear roof line.

As for those saying nothing will ever match it, there is a thing called 15 years old technology. While your memory of the old car may be great, I can bet that if you drove the two for two back to back shifts, you would hate the old compared to the new.

Comment

Originally posted by crazynova View Post
                    I don't get where anyone is saying the old Caprice was a good looking car and the new one is ugly. Personally I think the old Caprice was one of the ugliest cars ever made.
                    I guess you just had to be there. Maybe the best way to explain it is like rescuing a mutt from the pound. It may be ugly, but it'll be one of the most loyal and dependable dogs you will ever have.
                    sigpic

" 'Blessed are the Peacemakers', is, I suppose, to be understood in the other world, for in this one they are frequently cursed." - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by kcso View Post
                      .................. May be a good replacement for city cops, but for county and state I'm not so sure. That low front end rake concerns me in the event of a high speed accident or when striking large animals on the roadway............................
                      The front end is designed that way to comply with relevant design rules concerning regard to collisions involving pedestrians i.e. reduce trauma to pedestrians.

Regarding high speed crashes, that is why designers factor in safety features such as crumple zones, collapsible steering columns, seatbelts, airbags, etc to protect or minimise trauma to persons inside the car in the event of a high speed crash. Those safety features are there to minimise the forces generated by a collision being transmitted to the occupants of the car.

As far as large animals, well there are numerous dead kangaroos and the odd cow or other large animal on the side of the road which didn't survive the crash but the occupants of the car did.

To reiterate, it is a good patrol car, either for city, country town or highway duties.
                      If at first you don't succeed, remove all evidence of your attempt.

Comment

Originally posted by crazynova View Post
                        I don't get where anyone is saying the old Caprice was a good looking car and the new one is ugly. Personally I think the old Caprice was one of the ugliest cars ever made. It may have worked, but it was ugly. Either way, the new car does have hints of the old car in it, namely the rear roof line.

As for those saying nothing will ever match it, there is a thing called 15 years old technology. While your memory of the old car may be great, I can bet that if you drove the two for two back to back shifts, you would hate the old compared to the new.
                        I have to agree with you. The old Caprice looked like a beached whale. The only good things about it were the engine and the interior room.

Today's cars are much improved over older designs, especially when it comes to safety. They are also more efficient and more reliable -- and more expensive.

Comment

If you remember, when the Magnum came out, it also showed floor shifter and such. So maybe that will change on the Caprice when the production model comes out .

If that 6.0 runs like the 5.3 in my truck, look out, that thing is going to be bad.

The old Caprices where pretty awesome, I’ve drove 91 and 94 caprices. 90, 92, 93, 97, 98 and 2001 CVPI, 92 Taurus’s, 92, and 93 Luminas, and 01 to current Impalas. All had some good features. The 94 Caprice was fast, maybe too fast. 95 and 96 where de-tuned compared to the 94. If you drove them, you could tell the difference. My favorite so far has been the 01 CVPI
                          Last edited by arcop223; 10-06-2009, 12:45 PM.

Comment

I'm curious what the top speed will be. I can't seem to find that information anywhere.

Comment

Bring back the old 'square back' Caprice, and throw in the LT1 engine.....and some better brakes......even though it still had better brakes than the old 'all go, no stop' Ford LTD2, the brakes still didnt last for more than a few hard stops......
                              The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

Originally posted by jthorpe View Post
                                I'm curious what the top speed will be. I can't seem to find that information anywhere.
                                Well, the 'un neutered' Caprice with the LT1 engine had a listed top end of 150+.......some agencies put speed governors on the cars though.....

Ours topped out at around 130 or so.....so I heard anyway.....
                                The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5123 users online. 284 members and 4839 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X