NEW Welcome Ad

Collapse

Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's official, Chevy Caprce to return to US market for police use...

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

like others have said, looks like the impala which was a POS. They should only offer the V8 because those of us that work for cheap ***** agencies will be stuck with the underpowered V6

Comment

Looks just like an impala to me..... Not a bad looking car but I do prefer my crown vic but I also hate change. The floor mounted shifter is a bad bad bad idea. It works out ok with the touch screen only MDT but I bet 90% of agencies have laptops that have a screen and keyboard. Try doing a car stop, approaching the vehicle, the vehicle takes off on you, you run back to your vehicle get in and try and shift that thing in drive with the laptop covering the shifter. I bet the laptop breaks from you punching the thing getting it out of the way..... :-)

Comment

Even if it is just going to replace Impala, and looks exactly the same... who cares? Although not the roomiest of cars, my Impala handles much better than the CVPI I used to drive did (hopefully going to RWD won't change the handling too much). It also has less mechanical issues, in 4 years and 60K miles the only need was a new battery and new brakes. My only complaint with my Impala is that it needs more power.

Now my question that I didn't read in the press release is if they're going to continue the Impala or if this will replace it.

Comment

A lot of talk about Impalas here but remember, this car has more room than your Crown Vic does.

Comment

Impala on steroids. No cruiser will ever match the room, the vette engine, the handling, and style of the 9C1 from '93-'96. For instance: www.capricecars.com. Those are sweet cars. I couldn't imagine going from the vette 350 to an underpowered 4.6 v8 in the Vic. How embarassing! They should've just kept it the same, and came back out with it. I checked the specs on the old caprices and they STILL were better in the majority of categories then were the cruisers of today! Long live the true Caprice!
            Most people fail because they trade what they want MOST, for what they want at the MOMENT.

The heart is deceitful above all things and desperately wicked, WHO can know it?
            -Jeremiah 17:9

Is it any surprise that cops don't trust anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by crazynova View Post
              [url][img]
              This photo shows the rifle rack in the back seat area. Any thoughts on putting a cage in there? Something we are talking about is having to put a wagon on the street to handle transports for the arresting officer. Means you have 2 officers out of service on the arrest.

Comment

Edmunds.com says it is a Holden Caprice with the V8 from the Holden Commodore SS (which I believe was used in the Pontiac G8):

DENVER — Bob Lutz said yes, Fritz Henderson said no, but it looks like somebody in the General Motors hierarchy relented and decided after all that General Motors should offer a new Chevrolet Caprice police package based on the automaker's rear-wheel-drive Zeta architecture.

So, in effect, the Holden-based Pontiac G8 sedan will live on — as the 2011 Caprice police car, which carries over sheetmetal and underbody components from the long-wheelbase Australian Holden Caprice, including a version of the massive 6.0-liter V8 that powers the high-performance Commodore SS.

The official announcement of the Chevrolet Caprice Police Patrol Vehicle was made Sunday at the annual convention of the International Association of Chiefs of Police here. GM said the Caprice PPV can be ordered next year (order code 9C1) for delivery in early 2011.

GM said the Caprice PPV will be available with a choice of V6 and V8 engines, including a flex-fuel 355-horsepower 6.0-liter unit with cylinder-cutoff technology that will have 0-to-60-mph acceleration in less than 6.0 seconds and class-leading top speed. The V6 will be offered at the beginning of the 2012 model year.

Other police-car-specific hardware includes heavy-duty suspension, standard 18-inch steel wheels, oversize four-wheel disc brakes with heavy-duty pads, police-calibrated stability control system, high-output alternator and heavy-duty coolers for engine oil, transmission and power steering.

We're assuming the usual assortment of lights, sirens, bells and whistles will also be offered.

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
                Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

I want to want one. I really do. But sweet poo on a stick, that things ugly. Marginally better in black and white, I suppose.
                  I miss you, Dave.
                  http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

Need to put the shifter on the column.

Comment

I agree with most of ya'all about putting the shifter on the column. Putting it on the console I think is rediculously retarded and obviously wasn't thought out by a REAL cop.

I couldn't care less about the looks of it, although driving around in a Charger that looks aggressive would certainly be preferable for me. My dept will never buy the Chargers but this Caprice would almost certainly be what we would get. That said, if it's ugly but has a V8, has comfy seats, and is smaller in dimensions than the awful Crown Vic, I'll be a happy man. Heck, I'd almost take a slower car with comfier seats... Maybe...

Comment

I agree with the seats. I HATE the seats in the Crown Vics. They are horrible. At least for me even though the seats in a Charger are a bit more narrow, they are much more comfortable to me. I'm interested in seeing how much more room this new Caprice has. They say it has 4 more inches of legroom then the Vic.

Comment

As I sit here looking at the dashboard of my Crown Vic, I think to myself, "I hate this car". Then I look at the pictures of this Caprice/Impala/Commodore hybrid and I say to myself "I hate that car too". Then, just as I thought that, a city cop drove by in his Tahoe and I thought "I hate that guy".
                          sigpic

" 'Blessed are the Peacemakers', is, I suppose, to be understood in the other world, for in this one they are frequently cursed." - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I like it.

Video link to Caprice PPV: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDGq_8bFVxQ

My first solo patrol car was a '92 Caprice. So I have soft spot for the Caprice. After my '92 was turned in I drove LT-1 Caprices for several years. I missed the power, room, digital speedo, cruise control, and handling (especially when compared to the '96-'97 CVPI). But I also remember wishing for better headlights when working midnights.

IMO one of the worst moves GM ever did was discontinuing the Caprice and turning their back on the police market. The reason they did so at the time is because GM was selling every full size ext-cab pickup and SUV they could build. I can remember guys up here were waiting up to 3 months for their new Chevy/GMC trucks. Well the Caprice line down in Texas could quickly be re-tooled to build trucks & SUVs so that sealed it's fate. It's nice to see GM back in the police market with a V8 RWD sedan.

"The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life." - Teddy Roosevelt

Disclaimer: The opinions I express here are mine and mine alone. They are not intended to reflect the positions/opinions of any other known person(s) or organization(s).

Comment

I really like this car. I'm a big fan of the G8 GT and I'd like to have one. Unfortunately I can't see my wife driving it day and day out considering we can have snow covered roads here 5 months out of the year.

[/QUOTE]
                              "The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life." - Teddy Roosevelt

Disclaimer: The opinions I express here are mine and mine alone. They are not intended to reflect the positions/opinions of any other known person(s) or organization(s).

Comment

Originally posted by phillyrube View Post
                                This photo shows the rifle rack in the back seat area. Any thoughts on putting a cage in there? Something we are talking about is having to put a wagon on the street to handle transports for the arresting officer. Means you have 2 officers out of service on the arrest.
                                I get the impession that the divider right behind the guns is the cage. It's much further back, because the cabin is much larger and roomier than the CVPI.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5142 users online. 292 members and 4850 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X