NEW Welcome Ad

Collapse

Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's official, Chevy Caprce to return to US market for police use...

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Double post.
    Last edited by crazynova; 10-05-2009, 03:42 AM.

Comment

Double tap
      sigpic

" 'Blessed are the Peacemakers', is, I suppose, to be understood in the other world, for in this one they are frequently cursed." - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

It's a commodore.
        sigpic

" 'Blessed are the Peacemakers', is, I suppose, to be understood in the other world, for in this one they are frequently cursed." - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Optional front-seat-only side curtain air bags allows a full-width rear-seat barrier for greater officer safety.

Two trunk-mounted batteries, with one of them dedicated to powering various police equipment.

The front seats are sculpted to “pocket” the equipment belt, which greatly increases the comfort for a great range of police officer sizes. The foam density of the seatback and cushion insert surfaces are designed to conform to the shape of an equipment belt’s various items, too, allowing the officer’s back to rest properly on the seatback surface.

The Caprice’s 6.0-liter V-8 is rated at an estimated 355 horsepower (265 kW) with an estimated 384 lb-ft of torque. It is backed by a six-speed automatic transmission that is performance-calibrated for police duty. Additional, police car-specific powertrain and vehicle system features include:

Engine oil, transmission and power steering coolers

Standard 18-inch steel wheels with bolt-on center caps

Large, four-wheel disc brakes with heavy-duty brake pads

Police-calibrated stability control system

Driver information center in the instrument cluster with selectable speed tracking feature.

All sounds great.
          Any views or opinions presented by this prenomen are solely those of a burlesque author and do not necessarily represent those of a LEA or caementum couturier.

nom de plume

This is the internet- take all information with a grain of salt. Such could be valid and true or could be typed just for playing devils advocate.

Comment

They will have to change the shifter to the column or dash.
            Other than that it looks good.
            Due to the Juvenile bickering and annoying trolling committed by members of this forum I have started an igore list. If your name is listed below I can't see you.

CityCopDC, Fire Moose, Carbonfiberfoot, Damiansolomon

Comment

Ladies & Gentlemen, apart from the interior fitout, this appears to be very similar in appearance to the Holden Commodore sedan (Holden is the Australian GM subsiduary) which we use as a General Duties and Highway Patrol car.

The V6 goes like a cut snake and it sticks to the road like the proverbial baby 5h1t to a blanket. Our Traffic Branch are the only ones who use the V8 versions. The front seats have ample room, so who gives a toss whether or not the backseating Grub has sufficient leg room?

I would love to have purpose built seats to cater for our duty belt, however our beancounters (penny pinchers) have decreed otherwise. The same goes for the onboard computers, and other work related gizmos, etc. Although I can't see our politicians allowing us to have M16s or other longarms in our patrol cars as an every day item.
              Last edited by Bushranger; 10-05-2009, 08:43 AM.
              If at first you don't succeed, remove all evidence of your attempt.

Comment

caprice

Originally posted by JPSO Recruit View Post
                Looks exactly like an Impala to me, I'll keep my vic.
                My thoughts EXACTLY. I thought when they said Caprice is back we would see something a little bit bigger than the SAME OLD THING.

Comment

Thank God I'm about to get an '010 Crown Vic. I'm not going to have to worry about driving one of these ugly POS. The new Vic should carry me out to 20 and out!!! (If that's the plan).
                  Why are there so many babies on O.com? Creole, you and your buddy JPSO Recruit help me out on this one....

* "Preach always, if necessary, use words!" St Francis of Assisi

* Luke Chapter 6, Verses 27-36

Comment

Originally posted by Bushranger View Post
                    Ladies & Gentlemen, apart from the interior fitout, this appears to be very similar in appearance to the Holden Commodore sedan (Holden is the Australian GM subsiduary) which we use as a General Duties and Highway Patrol car.
                    Good stuff comes from the Land Down Under, but I am still skeptical about this car. May be a good replacement for city cops, but for county and state I'm not so sure. That low front end rake concerns me in the event of a high speed accident or when striking large animals on the roadway.

I prefer the mid 90's Chevrolet Caprice LT1's. But unfortunately, those days are long gone. Newer officers have no idea what they missed.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by kcso View Post
                      Good stuff comes from the Land Down Under, but I am still skeptical about this car. May be a good replacement for city cops, but for county and state I'm not so sure. That low front end rake concerns me in the event of a high speed accident or when striking large animals on the roadway.

I prefer the mid 90's Chevrolet Caprice LT1's. But unfortunately, those days are long gone. Newer officers have no idea what they missed.

My agency had one of these Caprice's that looked like a bathtub turned upside down. The ONLY thing I liked about it was the motor. I clapped when they stopped making them, knowing I wouldn't ever had to sit behind the wheel of one.
                      Why are there so many babies on O.com? Creole, you and your buddy JPSO Recruit help me out on this one....

* "Preach always, if necessary, use words!" St Francis of Assisi

* Luke Chapter 6, Verses 27-36

Comment

In Australia we have been using virtually the same car (VE model Holden Commodore) for the last couple of years. We have used previous models of the Commodore for decades. Aside from what it looks, it is a fairly large vehicle and even the V6 model has a fair bit of grunt.

This is the VE Commodore Omega as commonly used by General Duties (i.e Patrol) police in Australia:

Attached Files
                        Last edited by Benno; 10-05-2009, 10:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by towncop View Post
                          I clapped when they stopped making them, knowing I wouldn't ever had to sit behind the wheel of one.
                          That's too bad, y'alls must of have been POS. I hated the fender skirt models but they didn't compare to the 94-95's. I've never driven another patrol car that could 5hit and git and hug corners like my 94. Goodyear got fatter wallets during that time.
                          sigpic

Comment

Here's the Chevy Caprice in B & W:

Comment

We still have Caprices in our fleet 94-95 ones! I like the new one but the shifter needs to be on the tree...We use toughbooks and I dont see how that is going to work.

Comment

Just to throw some truth and honesty in here. The 95 Caprice was possiblly the best police car ever made. I wanted to start a MUTINY when they gave me a 99 Crow Vic. That thing was a slow poor handling POS.
                                The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4951 users online. 274 members and 4677 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X