300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Admin Changes

I work for a small 9 man dept. Our former chief left for a career change, Wednesday was his last day. About two weeks ago we were made aware that the police commissioner who is a board member and retired police officer will be our interim administrative chief until we get a permanent one next month. Yesterday the first was his first day. He called a meeting and announced that a regular patrol officer with no current rank would become the acting sergeant, and "be an extension of me when I am not here." He had three pages of "changes" he wanted to make, an hour into his first day. He changed everyones schedule and in more ways that one ****ed in everyones cornflakes. I knew that the former chief could be gone at any time, but I thought the transition would be much more smooth. Anybody have advice on how to deal with admin changes, personnel changes and changes in general that you dont necessarily agree with?
    Striving to create a world in which I am no longer needed. 1*

Roll with it. Nothing you can do for now. It will change in a month. Keep your head down and see what happens.
    The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

Take your own signature to heart. Improvise, adapt, and overcome. I've been through many changes with my unit commanders and a lot of them want to reinvent the wheel everytime.
      Today's Quote:

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
      Albert Einstein

Comment

x2!

Originally posted by Monkeybomb View Post
        Roll with it. Nothing you can do for now. It will change in a month. Keep your head down and see what happens.
        ''Life's tough......it's tougher if you're stupid.''
        -- John Wayne

Comment

Smile and wave, smile and wave. In the grand scheme of things it doesn't change anything. There will be many things like this that happens in a career and for you to step up to the change and just "handle it" will get you through it. If you get into the gripe sessions that will be coming it will just affect your morale and do nothing to change the situation. Good luck.
          Ut humiliter opinor

Comment

It's only a month, maybe the permanent one will be better. I'm sure you're not going to say where you work, but I was in Black Mountain just east of Asheville earlier this year... and it was awesome. If I could I'd leave now to move there.

Comment

Originally posted by IAO View Post
              He called a meeting and announced that a regular patrol officer with no current rank would become the acting sergeant, and "be an extension of me when I am not here." He had three pages of "changes" he wanted to make, an hour into his first day.

What not to do when assuming command.

Wanna bet your new Sgt is a buddy of his that has been feeding him gripes about the dept.? Nothing you can do, just roll with it and above all else, keep your mouth shut and do not complain about it. It has taken me a few years to learn that little trick. Just do your Japanese tourist imitation, smile and nod, smile and nod.

Comment

Most of the management college course I have taken - so to not rock the boat when first taking a new position. Take the time to learn the new role and slowly and properly makes changes. If the new guy had three pages of changes -- then you might be in for a rocky road.

If the guy is new to the role - then you might be able to offer or sneak in some persuasive tips or suggestions. Ie let him think it was his idea even though you gave it to him. Be careful and don't demand because he might feel threatened or questioned by it.
                Any views or opinions presented by this prenomen are solely those of a burlesque author and do not necessarily represent those of a LEA or caementum couturier.

nom de plume

This is the internet- take all information with a grain of salt. Such could be valid and true or could be typed just for playing devils advocate.

Comment

Same as everyone else has said,put up with it,and KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT,in a dept. that small,I hate to say it,but dont trust anyone(as far as verbaly),smile and nod alot.
                  Sleeping Giant. They're not fat and happy anymore. They are hungry and increasingly angry. That is not a good recipe for a "Puppies and Rainbows America".

Comment

You have no idea what his angle is. He may have a personal agenda, or he might have been told by higher ups to make some changes and/or fix some stuff. Typically when a new manager yanks the rug out from under everyone, there's a reason for it, even if some of the changes sound crazy. It could be several things. Or, he might just be a *****. You don't know yet.

Since you do not yet know what his angle is, it is in your best interest to STFU and just deal with it for now. Resist the urge to openly scrutinize his decisions. Act like you don't care. Stick your neck out, and you might get it lopped off.

Comment

Easy for me to say, hard for you to do, try to roll with it. Sounds like you're new Guy has an agenda. Apparently yours is not a Civil Service agency. That's not a crticism, just an observation ,as it regards the appointment of the Sergeant you mentioned. That would have been pretty difficult to do in a Civil Service agency. Basically, your new Chief has not acted in an illegal manner. Until he does, you're pretty well bound to follow his orders. Hope things work out for you.

Comment

My old department, with about 20 sworn, had a suddent change in leadership when the Chief crashed his patrol car and had to take a medical retirement.

I still talk to some of the guys and I get the feeling that some of the officers still have not accepted the new Chief. Loyalty to the former Chief is still very strong.

Keep your head low and roll with the flow. It won't be easy. Save yourself.
                        ROLL TIDE!!!

Comment

What everyone else said.

You can't do a thing about it. You are simply a number and can be replaced so close your mouth, grin, grind your teeth, say yes sir and hope that reality grabs him by the cheeks and slaps him hard in the face.
                          Moooooooooooo, I'm a goat

Comment

Times like those that I love Civil Service Protection, a strong contract and a good union.
                            Being a good street cop is like coming to work in a wet suit and peeing in your pants. It's a nice warm feeling, but you're the only one who knows anything has happened.

Comment

It could always be worse! You could for Wellford, SC PD and that idiot Mayor Sally Peake!
                              Strong Body, Sharp Mind And Good Tactics!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6256 users online. 312 members and 5944 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X