Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What does your agency do with officers in multiple OIS's?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    Forum Member

replied
    I guess if you work for a big dept they have options, not so if you work with a small town or municipality. I know of one officer in our dept. who was in 4, he is now a Detective.

I know of another one who has 2, he went back to patrol and then to a special assignment. So no punitive moves here.

Leave a comment:

• hooknbook
    Forum Member

• hooknbook
    replied
    two with SDPD and you get moved...

Leave a comment:

• LT Dangle
    Banned

• LT Dangle
    replied
    When I get my 1st OIS, it will be the last. I am going out on 100% medical.

Leave a comment:

• Tat2d Cop
    Forum Member

• Tat2d Cop
    replied
    Originally posted by sawtac View Post
    7 weeks?!?! That's insane! Unless the Officer is having problems dealing with it, he needs to go back to work ASAP. If it's a good shoot, keeping the officer off work for 7 weeks sends a negative message to the officer, the department, and the public. 3 days, 5 days, 7 days max. As long as the Officer is ready, put him back on the streets where he's needed.
    I wish it was 7 weeks here... It's been upwards of 4 months for some officers in my department. I think most of them are off for 2-3 months on average though.

Leave a comment:

• creolecop
    Forum Member

• creolecop
    replied
    Originally posted by sawtac View Post
    7 weeks?!?! That's insane! Unless the Officer is having problems dealing with it, he needs to go back to work ASAP. If it's a good shoot, keeping the officer off work for 7 weeks sends a negative message to the officer, the department, and the public. 3 days, 5 days, 7 days max. As long as the Officer is ready, put him back on the streets where he's needed.
    I agree thats nuts. Starts inadvertantly making the officer feel like he done something wrong. Like you my only worry was that I would have to shoot someone else again so soon. I was on the last day of my shift before my 3 days off, and was 4 hrs from getting off. It was quiet and everything was "good in the hood" as they say, LOL!. Long story short went to a shots fired report (actually my shift sgt first heard them) pinpointed the location, found a guy high as hell on PCP shooting a gun in the backyard for fun, he pointed and end of story. I stayed for about 2hrs went home and 2 days later was told everything was cleared. Our investigators deemed it a good shoot, our chief investigator went and met with the DA ran the investigation down to him, DA said good shoot, end of story, close the book and get back to work.

Here only if the DA feels something with the shoot wasn't right would it go to a grand jury. If you shoot someone here and it goes to a grand jury, you need to worry then. That means something with the shooting the DA doesn't feel comfortable with and therefore wants to pass the buck to a grand jury. Anything shy of an irresponsible shooting where you clearly screwed up, you won't see a grand jury. The DA may or may not want to see you. If it's clear enough to all involved the shooting was justified you won't even see him on the matter he'll be read the facts from the investigation and close the book on it.

Leave a comment:

• sawtac
    Forum Member

• sawtac
    replied

Leave a comment:

• crazynova
    Forum Member

• crazynova
    replied
    Originally posted by creolecop View Post
    It wasn't bad when I had to go after my shooting. All he wanted to do really was talk about how I felt. Though our session was short when he realized I had 3 combat tours to Iraq and Afghanistan at the start of the wars with the 82nd Airborne Division as an infantry soldier. He said, well this must have kinda felt like a day at the range for you We laughed and I explained I wish it didn't have to happen but that I refuse to allow myself to feel bad about the life decisions others make no matter the magnitude of those decisions. I explained as a cop I merely react to a suspects decisions when it comes to deadly force. He said you sound like your head is on straight and that there was no reason to hold me back from work. I was actually off like 3 days and it was my normal 3 days off. I never even missed work. I didn't have to go through another whole psyc test and eval, just talked to the doc.
    Thats kind of cool that you only missed 3 days. Out here, if the OIS is fatal, the officer goes on admin leave until the Coroner's inquest where a jury is selected like a trail and everyone involved goes through the shooting. The jury then rules it either justified, excusable, or I think negligent. The time between OIS and the inquest is normally around 7 weeks.

Leave a comment:

• sawtac
    Forum Member

• sawtac
    replied
    After my first OIS (2002) I spent about an hour with the shrink. Reminded me a Frasier Crane. After my second one (4 months ago) I spent about 10 minutes with a 24 year old Doogie Howser wannabe. I told him my biggest fear was having to shoot someone else soon after I went back to work. I had to take 5 days (mandatory). He suggested to my Sheriff I take a month. Needless to say, shooting took place on a Sunday, I made my weekend shift.

Leave a comment:

• creolecop
    Forum Member

• creolecop
    replied
    Originally posted by ShantyIrish View Post
    The shrink part is what scares me.....

In my opinion, most shrinks could use a shrink...
    It wasn't bad when I had to go after my shooting. All he wanted to do really was talk about how I felt. Though our session was short when he realized I had 3 combat tours to Iraq and Afghanistan at the start of the wars with the 82nd Airborne Division as an infantry soldier. He said, well this must have kinda felt like a day at the range for you We laughed and I explained I wish it didn't have to happen but that I refuse to allow myself to feel bad about the life decisions others make no matter the magnitude of those decisions. I explained as a cop I merely react to a suspects decisions when it comes to deadly force. He said you sound like your head is on straight and that there was no reason to hold me back from work. I was actually off like 3 days and it was my normal 3 days off. I never even missed work. I didn't have to go through another whole psyc test and eval, just talked to the doc.

Leave a comment:

• ShantyIrish
    Sheepdog

• ShantyIrish
    replied
    Originally posted by creolecop View Post
    had range qualification today and I asked our patrol commander who was there qualifying also. He said, nothing would happen if all were cleared shootings which if your still around means they were. Also since we have to be cleared by a shrink before returning back to work then if the officer is up to it he'll stay where he is.
    The shrink part is what scares me.....

In my opinion, most shrinks could use a shrink...

Leave a comment:

• LA DEP
    Molon Labe

• LA DEP
    replied
    Originally posted by mdrdep View Post
    Not always, there's a Lt. at Century who was in about 10 of them as a deputy there. Of course I think he only hit one person........
    The main 'issue' seems to be more when the incidents are hits and esp. fatalities.....also, the amount of time in between each OIS can be a factor; 10 over several years isnt as much of an issue as 2-3 over a couple of years.

They dont seem to be as hard on it as they were in the 90s.....could be wrong though

Leave a comment:

• mdrdep
    An Obvious problem

• mdrdep
    replied
    Originally posted by LA DEP View Post
    It depends on alot of different factors......but, if you get into more than 1-2 in a short period of time, they will probably put you inside somewhere for awhile.

I was told (unofficially) after my second fatal OIS that I would probably have to 'look for a new home' if I was in another one.

Of course, that has opportunity written all over it...."Really, I get to PICK where I want to work if I cap one more?......hmmmmmmmmm:
    Not always, there's a Lt. at Century who was in about 10 of them as a deputy there. Of course I think he only hit one person........

Leave a comment:

• creolecop
    Forum Member

• creolecop
    replied
    had range qualification today and I asked our patrol commander who was there qualifying also. He said, nothing would happen if all were cleared shootings which if your still around means they were. Also since we have to be cleared by a shrink before returning back to work then if the officer is up to it he'll stay where he is.

Leave a comment:

• JPSO Recruit
    License and Registration!

• JPSO Recruit
    replied
    Originally posted by ShantyIrish View Post
    If they're all good shoots, then nothing happens, no punitive transfer. Or, in actuality, you may be promoted or transferred to a good detail: k9, swat, narco...

if you are an active guy and continually prove yourself in DPF situations, by using sound judgement and proper tactics, then there will be rewards.
    Same with us, as long as they are all legit.

Leave a comment:

• LA DEP
    Molon Labe

• LA DEP
    replied
    It depends on alot of different factors......but, if you get into more than 1-2 in a short period of time, they will probably put you inside somewhere for awhile.

I was told (unofficially) after my second fatal OIS that I would probably have to 'look for a new home' if I was in another one.

Of course, that has opportunity written all over it...."Really, I get to PICK where I want to work if I cap one more?......hmmmmmmmmm:

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5109 users online. 265 members and 4844 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X