Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What does your agency do with officers in multiple OIS's?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does your agency do with officers in multiple OIS's?

What does your agency do (if anything) to officers who have been involved in multiple shootings over their career. Generally here, after 4 or five shootings (sometimes even less) the officer is transferred. Usually to be an active detective or in some position hidden so they don't cause a stir in the media... and can't get into any more. This is no matter how justified the shootings were. We have maybe a half dozen officers on our large department involved in that many shootings.

Does your department do that? If so where do they send the officers?

We have the majority of our OIS guys on the SWAT team so I guess they go to the full time SWAT team, LOL!

Seriously thats a good question for me to ask at work. I have been in one, and came one more pound of trigger pressure away twice from having more. My closest came 7mo after my first and I was sooooo thankful that it ended without me firing a shot (would in a heartbeat if had to, not shy) because all I could think was how it would look after having 2 in a 7mo period. I figure if everything was good to go with the investigations then after 4 you'd probably be tranfered off the streets. Some kind of support function or at best theft detective, they wouldn't want you going after people with nothing to loose
    Ignored: Towncop, Pulicords, TacoMac, Ten08

Comment

After your 5th, you get a toaster
      LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO DRINK CHEAP BEER!

Comment

If they're all good shoots, then nothing happens, no punitive transfer. Or, in actuality, you may be promoted or transferred to a good detail: k9, swat, narco...

if you are an active guy and continually prove yourself in DPF situations, by using sound judgement and proper tactics, then there will be rewards.
        Went to Get a Cold Pop

Comment

They'd probably give me 3 or 4 more pounds of trigger pull.

M-11
          “All men dream...... But not equally..
          Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;
          but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
          for they act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible.....”

TE Lawrence

Comment

It depends on alot of different factors......but, if you get into more than 1-2 in a short period of time, they will probably put you inside somewhere for awhile.

I was told (unofficially) after my second fatal OIS that I would probably have to 'look for a new home' if I was in another one.

Of course, that has opportunity written all over it...."Really, I get to PICK where I want to work if I cap one more?......hmmmmmmmmm:
            The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

Originally posted by ShantyIrish View Post
              If they're all good shoots, then nothing happens, no punitive transfer. Or, in actuality, you may be promoted or transferred to a good detail: k9, swat, narco...

if you are an active guy and continually prove yourself in DPF situations, by using sound judgement and proper tactics, then there will be rewards.
              Same with us, as long as they are all legit.
              In Memory of A Fallen Hero

Comment

had range qualification today and I asked our patrol commander who was there qualifying also. He said, nothing would happen if all were cleared shootings which if your still around means they were. Also since we have to be cleared by a shrink before returning back to work then if the officer is up to it he'll stay where he is.

Comment

Originally posted by LA DEP View Post
                  It depends on alot of different factors......but, if you get into more than 1-2 in a short period of time, they will probably put you inside somewhere for awhile.

I was told (unofficially) after my second fatal OIS that I would probably have to 'look for a new home' if I was in another one.

Of course, that has opportunity written all over it...."Really, I get to PICK where I want to work if I cap one more?......hmmmmmmmmm:
                  Not always, there's a Lt. at Century who was in about 10 of them as a deputy there. Of course I think he only hit one person........
                  Today's Quote:

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
                  Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by mdrdep View Post
                    Not always, there's a Lt. at Century who was in about 10 of them as a deputy there. Of course I think he only hit one person........
                    The main 'issue' seems to be more when the incidents are hits and esp. fatalities.....also, the amount of time in between each OIS can be a factor; 10 over several years isnt as much of an issue as 2-3 over a couple of years.

They dont seem to be as hard on it as they were in the 90s.....could be wrong though
                    The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

Originally posted by creolecop View Post
                      had range qualification today and I asked our patrol commander who was there qualifying also. He said, nothing would happen if all were cleared shootings which if your still around means they were. Also since we have to be cleared by a shrink before returning back to work then if the officer is up to it he'll stay where he is.
                      The shrink part is what scares me.....

In my opinion, most shrinks could use a shrink...
                      Went to Get a Cold Pop

Comment

Originally posted by ShantyIrish View Post
                        The shrink part is what scares me.....

In my opinion, most shrinks could use a shrink...
                        It wasn't bad when I had to go after my shooting. All he wanted to do really was talk about how I felt. Though our session was short when he realized I had 3 combat tours to Iraq and Afghanistan at the start of the wars with the 82nd Airborne Division as an infantry soldier. He said, well this must have kinda felt like a day at the range for you We laughed and I explained I wish it didn't have to happen but that I refuse to allow myself to feel bad about the life decisions others make no matter the magnitude of those decisions. I explained as a cop I merely react to a suspects decisions when it comes to deadly force. He said you sound like your head is on straight and that there was no reason to hold me back from work. I was actually off like 3 days and it was my normal 3 days off. I never even missed work. I didn't have to go through another whole psyc test and eval, just talked to the doc.

Comment

After my first OIS (2002) I spent about an hour with the shrink. Reminded me a Frasier Crane. After my second one (4 months ago) I spent about 10 minutes with a 24 year old Doogie Howser wannabe. I told him my biggest fear was having to shoot someone else soon after I went back to work. I had to take 5 days (mandatory). He suggested to my Sheriff I take a month. Needless to say, shooting took place on a Sunday, I made my weekend shift.

Comment

Originally posted by creolecop View Post
                            It wasn't bad when I had to go after my shooting. All he wanted to do really was talk about how I felt. Though our session was short when he realized I had 3 combat tours to Iraq and Afghanistan at the start of the wars with the 82nd Airborne Division as an infantry soldier. He said, well this must have kinda felt like a day at the range for you We laughed and I explained I wish it didn't have to happen but that I refuse to allow myself to feel bad about the life decisions others make no matter the magnitude of those decisions. I explained as a cop I merely react to a suspects decisions when it comes to deadly force. He said you sound like your head is on straight and that there was no reason to hold me back from work. I was actually off like 3 days and it was my normal 3 days off. I never even missed work. I didn't have to go through another whole psyc test and eval, just talked to the doc.
                            Thats kind of cool that you only missed 3 days. Out here, if the OIS is fatal, the officer goes on admin leave until the Coroner's inquest where a jury is selected like a trail and everyone involved goes through the shooting. The jury then rules it either justified, excusable, or I think negligent. The time between OIS and the inquest is normally around 7 weeks.

Comment

7 weeks?!?! That's insane! Unless the Officer is having problems dealing with it, he needs to go back to work ASAP. If it's a good shoot, keeping the officer off work for 7 weeks sends a negative message to the officer, the department, and the public. 3 days, 5 days, 7 days max. As long as the Officer is ready, put him back on the streets where he's needed.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2820 users online. 157 members and 2663 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X