300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Police Misconduct stat question

I am a Sheriffs Deputy in CA. I am trying to put together a spreadsheet showing the number of US sworn officers compared to the number of legitimate/ illegitimate complaints of police misconduct for 2007 or 2008.

Does anyone know where I can find the statistics of misconduct in the US?

You probably won't find one. There's no nationwide reporting requirement for complaints like there is for criminal activity. It would likely be too difficult to compile as some departments would call a complaint unfounded while another would find fault with it due to different policies and procedures.
    Originally posted by K40
    To me, open carry is the equivalent of the couple making out and groping each other at the food court in the mall. Yeah, they are probably legal, as long as they don't start getting undressed. But they are still social retards.
    ‎"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him." - Rooster Cogburn

Comment

In addition, most states probably do not require that all complaints be investigated.
      Last edited by DAL; 09-21-2009, 11:08 AM.
      Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
      Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

Jeebus! A sisyphean task if there ever were one...

Comment

Originally posted by MESA View Post
          I am a Sheriffs Deputy in CA. I am trying to put together a spreadsheet showing the number of US sworn officers compared to the number of legitimate/ illegitimate complaints of police misconduct for 2007 or 2008.

Does anyone know where I can find the statistics of misconduct in the US?
          You would probably have better luck going with the numbers from your own agency. From what I remember in stats class is that 1500 subjects (or whatever) is needed to get a fairly accurate gauge on what is going on for the whole. Obviously the more the better and accurate the survey is, if you could manage to sift through all the complaints at your SO you could probably find some really interesting trends.

Comment

You're not going to find what you are looking for. Go with the stats from your own agency. Some agencies that know you might also share their info with you.

Comment

Your task is a lot more complicated that you think. Even examining the "records" for only one agency, as employees have certain privacy rights. Additionally, complaints can be from external (citizens) or internal (agency personnel) sources. Some complaints can involve serious, even criminal allegations. Others might only be about minor, administrative violations (ie: failing to show up for a scheduled court appearance or overtime assignment).

When the investigations are completed, most agencies' don't classify their dispositions as being "legitimate or illegitimate." My department classified complaint dispositions as follows:
              1) Sustained (The violation occurred.)
              2) Not Sustained (There was insufficient evidence to prove or disprove the allegation of misconduct.)
              3) Unfounded (The violation/incident didn't occur.)
              4) Exonerated (The incident occurred, but the actions were found to be reasonable and not in violation of department policy.)
              Last edited by pulicords; 09-21-2009, 10:02 AM.
              "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

I am glad I don't have to research that one

I have done statisitcs and research projects for many years. You have under taken a task that most officers could not perform.

Officers by department is easy - FBI UCR stats on the web.

Complaints

Option 1: You could try individual requests to each dept.

Option 2: Request somone like NIJ to research it

Option 3: A few years back some departments undertook a study on reasons for traffic stops and racial profiling. You might be able to find some old studies that address the issue you raise.

What is the point of your research?

Comment

Look for something like this:

http://policecomplaints.dc.gov/occr/..._Force_DOJ.pdf

and see if it gives you what you need.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5629 users online. 319 members and 5310 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X