Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Must be just a different mentality

must just be a different mentality
    Last edited by beachcop05; 09-19-2009, 01:49 AM.

What was the ticket for? My only problem with your post is this part..."We have a lot better things to be doing out there than citing other officer's family members."

While i agree discretion should be used, being an officers family member is not an exempt from the law...in all cases.

Comment

Read some of the *ahem* "discussions" regarding PC between the folks from the West Coast and the North East vs the folks from the South East.

That being said, there are more than a few here in SoCal that would cite her too......and not just the friendly faces wearing the tan pants with the blue stripes.
      The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

As I have said here before, do what you want on your stops. Don't expect a break. Especially for a family member. Where does it stop? Sister? Cousin?
        For the cops out there: You are an adult. If you want to write someone, write them. If you don't want to write someone, then don't write them.

"Jeff, you are the best cop on this board"-Anonymous Post

Comment

I'm all for professional courtesy, EXCEPT where teenagers and driving are concerned. Penalty Assessment each and every time...

Teenager gets 1 ticket, no more driving. Period. Done. Then you don't have to worry about insurance rates anymore. They watch the license go through the shredder...

Problem solved.

I know, it's so difficult, and inconvienent to ride a bicycle as a teenager, I know, I know....

I rode a bike 12 miles to work each way to work after school when I was 15, 16, 17 YOA....
          Be safe pulling back into the thread...
          http://infidelswithhonor.com/

Comment

In NC, the charging officer cannot dismiss a ticket, only the DA or ADA can handle those types of things. I charged an LEO's daughter with speeding one time, and had no idea her dad was a cop, as she was very mature and did no name dropping. Her dad called me later (he was from another state) and asked if I could work something out for her. I told him she was a class act and that I would make sure to tell the DA about it and see what they could do about it. She still had to plead to a moving violation, it's all up to the DA.
            At least in my county, the officer better have a good reason to ask for a voluntary dismissal.

But, once the cite is issued, it can't be dismissed by the officer.

Comment

Originally posted by Dep D View Post
              I'm all for professional courtesy, EXCEPT where teenagers and driving are concerned. Penalty Assessment each and every time...

Teenager gets 1 ticket, no more driving. Period. Done. Then you don't have to worry about insurance rates anymore. They watch the license go through the shredder...

Problem solved.

I know, it's so difficult, and inconvienent to ride a bicycle as a teenager, I know, I know....

I rode a bike 12 miles to work each way to work after school when I was 15, 16, 17 YOA....
              I hear you on the teenager thing, my sister's not a teenager though, in her twenties.

Comment

Originally posted by beachcop05 View Post
                My little sister goes to school in North Carolina and recently received a ticket. She's still on my parents insurance and they're concerned about their rates going up. So I contacted the officer who cited her, explained I'm a fellow officer from CA, and asked if there was anything that could be done at least about the insurance issue, not affecting the insurance. He did nothing to help out.

Let me just be clear, I'm not criticizing anyone or any agency, I know he's got his job to do and I appreciate that. I'm just wondering there must be a different mentality in that part of the country regarding professional courtesy.

I would have dismissed the ticket in heartbeat if I cited a fellow officer's family member, along with most of the guys I work with. We have a lot better things to be doing out there than citing other officer's family members.
                Once I issue the cite, I cannot dismiss it, unless I write a report saying that I was mistaken. I did that once -- and it was because I was mistaken about signal timing. I would not lie because someone is a family member of a police officer.

If I called, I would have asked about programs such as traffic school, and no more.
                Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
                Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by beachcop05 View Post
                  I hear you on the teenager thing, my sister's not a teenager though, in her twenties.
                  Ok, I know people have different financial situations. Could the parents help with half of her INITIAL cost premiums for one year, and then she's on her own for any additionals with new PA's as a grown 20 something?

I know it doesn't help now, but just a thought....
                  Be safe pulling back into the thread...
                  http://infidelswithhonor.com/

Comment

How am I supposed to know that you are a cop in CA? You could be anybody. Im just saying
                    Striving to create a world in which I am no longer needed. 1*

Comment

Originally posted by IAO View Post
                      How am I supposed to know that you are a cop in CA? You could be anybody. Im just saying
                      No I totally agree. That's why if you wanted to you could call my dept to confirm.

Comment

Once the tickets in, I never see it. I couldn't pull it if I tried. It gets shipped to the courts and its their baby after that.
                        The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

beachcop,

Bad attempt on your part. I can't believe that you actually called across country to another Dept and tracked the Officer down and asked him to dump the ticket. Talk about misuse of your position.

If I were that NC Officer, I would have told you off and hung up. You expect such special treatment for cops, and she isn't even one, she just happens to have a brother who is. What's next, dismiss any and all citations for anyone who is remotly connected to a cop?

Geez.
                          Free Deke O'Mally!!!

Comment

Was it written on e-citation?

edited: actually, despite your assurance that you're not, you actually ARE criticizing him. And I quote "He did nothing to help out." and " We have a lot better things to be doing out there than citing other officer's family members."

So. How about the fact that WE might have better things to do but her speed mandated a stop. I don't know. YOU don't know. Neither of us were there, but please don't come on this forum and talk down to another Officer because you didn't get what you wanted.

We CAN'T dismiss tickets once they've been sent in. If it was a paper ticket and hadn't been turned in yet, he 'might' have been able to help you. E-citations are transmitted instantly and there's NOTHING he can do. Now, I'm sure that over there in big bad California y'all do have other things to worry about, but sweetheart, you ain't IN California when you're here in North Carolina. We don't know how y'all do things and quite frankly, if we did, it still wouldn't change things for us. So, I say to you what I tell motorists when they've given me the "catch the real criminal" line....

Stop driving like an *** and I can focus on the real criminal.

Sorry for the rant....I'm sick to damn death of all the whining about a cop writing a family member. How did so many pusses get related to the blue line, I'll never know.
                            Last edited by Smurfette_76; 09-18-2009, 09:51 PM.
                            sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

I do not get the family member arguement.

I personally feel that my sister desevers nothing based off of my job.

I've ran across several "family members" and when I confront the officer I get the "she's the black sheep should of wrote her" speach.

If your actions warrant a ticket...it warrants a ticket. I have not wrote police officers or their husbands/wives.

I have wrote a police officer's girlfriend and he showed up on the stop. She had a ton of issues then FTA'd leading to a warrant.

In my book not withstanding an serious violations...husband/wives of police, E.R. Doctors/nurses, paid firefighters/medics, and any other upstanding citizen is usually getting a warning.

Kids, brothers, sisters, aunts, cousins, grand parents...etc. are a case by case.

I would not in a million years call across country reference to a ticket.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3054 users online. 145 members and 2909 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X