300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions of Scent Line-ups?

Does your agency use them? Your thoughts on them?

C&P:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...n/6625764.html

DALLAS — Texas advocates for the wrongly convicted are going after a sheriff's deputy who says his trained dogs have sniffed out bad guys in more than 2,000 scent identification lineups.

The Innocence Project of Texas says it will release a report next week that exposes scent identification as junk science that's led to an untold number of wrongful convictions. The group argues that scent lineups should be inadmissible in court, and it dismisses what Fort Bend County Sheriff's Deputy Keith Pikett does as “dog whispering.”

Pikett also faces two federal lawsuits from men implicated in the dog handler's scent lineups. Charges were later dropped in both cases.

Pikett's attorney said his client believe the scent IDs are accurate.

Interesting. A few years back, I handled a murder investigation that included a "scent line-up" during my follow-up. While the K9 made a "hit" on the suspect evidence (ignoring the others), the lack of documented training and scientific backing made using that evidence problematic according to at least one judge.
    "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

I met Pikett in a training school earlier this year and he seems to be a stand up, no BS kind of officer who is very knowledgeable about his dogs. I don't know how reliable a scent line up is, but I would trust Deputy Pikett.
      Last edited by ddurkof; 09-18-2009, 07:46 PM. Reason: spelling error
      Ut humiliter opinor

Comment

Im not too sold on the idea.
        NEVER TURN YOUR LIFE AROUND. Most people that do end up shot stabbed or maimed in other violent ways....

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4895 users online. 324 members and 4571 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X