Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice on SWAT/SRT

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Advice on SWAT/SRT

    ...................
    Last edited by fordman318; 03-29-2010, 12:22 AM.

  • #2
    "I chose to surround myself with those who have the drive, desire, and skill set to shine when others would fall."

    Comment


    • #3
      You're a cop, trying to get a spot on the SWAT team. You don't need to give them the I dont want to work 8-5 stuff... you're already a cop they know that. You need to tell them why you want to be on their team. Is it because you've always wanted to have a bigger impact on the big situations? Is it because you enjoy the team work and you want to evolve further in your career? Is it because you want to get off the road twice a month to train?

      Comment


      • #4
        .............
        Last edited by fordman318; 03-29-2010, 12:22 AM.

        Comment


        • #5
          Tell them:

          "I hate Sleeping."

          "There is way too much room in my trunk."

          "I need to squat on a fire escape in the rain more often."

          M-11
          “All men dream...... But not equally..
          Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;
          but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
          for they act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible.....”

          TE Lawrence

          Comment


          • #6
            "You're a highly motivated officer, you feel you've built a solid foundation on patrol, which you wish to build upon in a team environment."
            Went to Get a Cold Pop

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by ShantyIrish View Post
              "You're a highly motivated officer, you feel you've built a solid foundation on patrol, which you wish to build upon in a team environment."
              That seems like a pretty good answer. Whatever you do don't slam your current assignment. Unless you are applying for a full time SWAT position most SWAT officers work in their primary assignment with SWAT as a collateral. I've heard a ton of stories of people who had various problems in patrol answer oral board questions by saying they would be totally dedicated to their SWAT assignment in spite of their problems with their primary job.

              Comment


              • #8
                Spin the words your own way, but tell them the you are aware of what SWAT does and this excites you. Being part of a specialized team is your goal.

                Be prepared to let them know that you understand the impact the assignent will have on your family, and both you and your family are willing to accept this.

                Good Luck

                Comment


                • #9
                  You can incorporate the NTOA message of saving lives and reducing the potential for violence that might help.

                  You might want to also talk about being a part of something more than yourself.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by M-11 View Post
                    Tell them:

                    "I hate Sleeping."

                    "There is way too much room in my trunk."

                    "I need to squat on a fire escape in the rain more often."

                    M-11
                    Almost choked on my coffee with that one. Nothing like giving the new guys the dirty truth about tactical work...
                    Originally posted by kontemplerande
                    Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Sac Law Man View Post
                      Spin the words your own way, but tell them the you are aware of what SWAT does and this excites you. Being part of a specialized team is your goal.

                      Be prepared to let them know that you understand the impact the assignent will have on your family, and both you and your family are willing to accept this.

                      Good Luck
                      Well....just don't let on exactly how much it does excite you though....lol

                      I couldn't let that one slide, sorry...lol
                      Went to Get a Cold Pop

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        As a member of a State SWAT team, focus on team work. Being a cop is one thing, but being a member of a tight team that works on the team concept and having such a tight team bond that you trust your team members without question...that's where it is at.
                        "In God we trust, all others we run NCIC"

                        Comment

                        MR300x250 Tablet

                        Collapse

                        What's Going On

                        Collapse

                        There are currently 4679 users online. 211 members and 4468 guests.

                        Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on Yesterday.

                        Welcome Ad

                        Collapse
                        Working...
                        X