300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• California Vehicle Code iPhone App

Hi everyone ~ I've been working on a project and wanted to let the forum readers know about it:

Its the 2009 Vehicle Code for your iPhone or iPod Touch. I've designed the program from the standpoint of a police officer on patrol, needing quick access and search capabilities for the Vehicle Code. It has the full text of the code, including Appendix A (Other Laws) and Appendix B (List of Violations). There is a lookup by Section Number function, a full-text search, and section bookmarking. We are also donating 10% of our proceeds to the CA Peace Officer's Memorial Foundation. The 2010 Vehicle Code will be a free-update when it is made available. We also plan on adding the A-Z Topical guide in a forthcoming update. The App is only $6.99 for a limited time.

For more information, screenshots, or to leave a comment, please visit: www.csredding.com

Thanks for your time!

Chris Smyrnos
    Redding PD

That is awesome! Are you going to go for Penal, H&S, etc as well? Anything in the future for the Blackberry? Great idea on the 10% donation. Thats always a plus.
    Semper Fidelis

Comment

Originally posted by beastie_3 View Post
      That is awesome! Are you going to go for Penal, H&S, etc as well? Anything in the future for the Blackberry? Great idea on the 10% donation. Thats always a plus.
      We plan on branching out to other codes if we make our money back with this App. I chose to start with the vehicle code because it was what I referenced the most when I was working patrol and DUI. No plans for a BlackBerry App at this point, but we'll see what the demand is. Thanks for the comments.

Chris Smyrnos
      Redding PD

Comment

I have it, I love it, I use it! I have the Penal code and Vehicle code for California...

I don't know if it is the same app you made though...

Lots of the deputies in my department are downloading it. It updates yearly too!
        http://www.truepolicestories.net - my website of all my stories as a police officer. Please read it and become a member!

Comment

Originally posted by Xerious View Post
          I have it, I love it, I use it! I have the Penal code and Vehicle code for California...

I don't know if it is the same app you made though...

Lots of the deputies in my department are downloading it. It updates yearly too!
          Good to hear! My web site with more information: www.csredding.com

Or the direct iTunes link: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/M...327604464&mt=8

I know there are other apps out there; however I think ours has some features specific to Law Enforcement that the others do not... like the Quick Lookup feature, or the List of Violations Appendix. In addition, we donate 10% of our proceeds to the CA Peace Officers Memorial Foundation. So I would appreciate it if you spread the word for the CSRedding version. :0)

BTW... Which Northern CA SO do you work for? In a previous life I was a dispatcher in Nevada County.

Chris Smyrnos
          Redding PD

Comment

Oregon has one with all the codes.. its great.

Comment

Originally posted by SPD358 View Post
              Oregon has one with all the codes.. its great.
              We'd eventually love to be able to put out all the codes but our goal was to make a good app first, get feedback from guys in the field, and then add more content if there is enough demand for it. All of the other Vehicle Code apps I used were too simple and made it too hard to browse/search for what I needed to find quickly, so we decided to develop our own.

Chris Smyrnos
              Redding PD

Comment

New update coming soon!

For those of you that bought the App, thanks! I just finished importing the 2010 Vehicle Code into the App so it should be live pretty soon. I'm working with my developer on a few changes, namely:

Faster Quick Section lookup
                Custom ordering of bookmarks
                More relevant search results
                A-Z Topical Index

The 2010 code update is coming first and the feature update should follow shortly. Thanks to all of you who bought our program (these updates will be free). Also, don't forget that 10% of our proceeds go directly to the CA Peace Officer's Memorial Foundation. Please spread the word at your agency if you like our App. Thanks again,

Chris Smyrnos
                Redding PD
                www.csredding.com

Comment

I think I saw that on the Apps store..isnt it like 40 bucks ??

Comment

Originally posted by nataliej429 View Post
                    I think I saw that on the Apps store..isnt it like 40 bucks ??
                    Nope... $6.99

Chris

Comment

Or if you have internet access on your phone (IPhone or in my case a droid) just go to the state site:

www.leginfo.ca.gov and you can look up any law in the State of California, for free.
                      Today's Quote:

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
                      Albert Einstein

Comment

Want one for GA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by mdrdep View Post
                          Or if you have internet access on your phone (IPhone or in my case a droid) just go to the state site:

www.leginfo.ca.gov and you can look up any law in the State of California, for free.
                          That website is actually the precise reason I set out to create this application in the first place. While it does have the code for free, good luck trying to find something without knowing the EXACT section you are looking for (and even then its not easy to find). From the main page, you have to zoom in and hit a teeny tiny check box for the code you want to search. Then, when you do enter your search phrase, it does not take to you specific sections... it shows you a list of section ranges, which are the only links to click on. These results do not have any summaries and you have to scroll through many pages of free-text to try and find the section you are looking for.

Further, the search mechanism uses an OR operator for each block of section ranges -- basically it will not search specific sections for the text you are looking for -- rather it searches the entire range block (I think its divided up by article or even chapters) and then only gives that range as a result. So yes, you can always go to http://leginfo.ca.gov and look up the codes for free, but we feel we have a better way of doing it, and to me, and hopefully to our customers, its worth the $6.99 we charge.

Chris Smyrnos
                          Redding PD
                          www.csredding.com for more info

Comment

Chris I'll agree with that. I just wanted some of the younger cops to realize there is a free site out there and what you are providing is convienence/ease.
                            Today's Quote:

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
                            Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by mdrdep View Post
                              Chris I'll agree with that. I just wanted some of the younger cops to realize there is a free site out there and what you are providing is convienence/ease.
                              No worries... I just wanted to give some more background information on why we even set out to do this in the first place.

Chris

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5180 users online. 293 members and 4887 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X