Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bootleg DVD's

Bootleg DVD's

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Question about Bootleg DVD's

We seized a bunch of them from a guy selling them out of his front yard. Is there someone specific that we should contact with the MPAA or maybe the FED's?

Any info would be appreciated.

In Texas, we would just file Trademark Counterfeiting, which is a state charge... I think the Feds would only care if it is a large manufacturing ring...like warehouse size.

Comment

Out here we use the MPAA all the time, they will provide expert testimony at trial too. But I don't have a contact for you for the eastcoast. I found this on their website though:

http://www.mpaa.org/ReportPiracy/ReportPiracy.aspx
      Today's Quote:

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
      Albert Einstein

Comment

In my experience, you will find that a number of investigators from the music and movie industry are ex or retired Feds. They always seem more than happy to help out.

Comment

I get mine at the swapmeet....good copies too

Comment

From the OTHER thread you started about the same thing:

Ok, I found the contact name and number. I never got a PM with the OP's email addy, so here it is publicly....this is THE go-to guy for your investigations.

Jim Orr
            Anti-Piracy Trainer & Investigator
            Recording Industry Association of America
            Motion Picture Association of America
            714-231-5398

Update....Jim has seen this thread, and is waiting for you all to call him. Yes, he replied to my email in about 10 minutes on a Saturday. He is INCREDIBLY responsive to LE Agencies.
            sigpic
            Originally posted by Smurfette
            Lord have mercy. You're about as slick as the business side of duct tape.
            Originally posted by DAL
            You are without doubt a void surrounded by a sphincter muscle.

Comment

Originally posted by FJDave View Post
              Anti-Piracy Trainer & Investigator
              Recording Industry Association of America
              Motion Picture Association of America
              LOL, yeah let a private investigator in on it so his multimillion dollar client can sue the guy that caught with the movies.

I would say call ur local FBI office, if they have no advice that would be as far as I would go with it.
              "What the problem is?"

Comment

Dude, they help with CRIMINAL PROSECUTION and CRIMINAL INVESTIGATION. They train cops on how to detect the bogus stuff, catalog, it, and take it to trial. They are a GREAT resource for CRIMINAL INVESTIGATORS. (notice how I said nothing about civil litigation?)
                sigpic
                Originally posted by DAL

Comment

99% of cops don't know a darn thing about counterfeit music or movies, they wouldn't know a counterfeit item if it bit them on the butt. It is vital to use the experts in the recording industry as they can teach you how the products are made and packaged. In my major case years ago with millions of items seized there is no way I could have completed my investigation without the help of 3 investigators from the recording industry (RIAA).

Counterfeit music and movies is big money, and it does take money out of the pocket of the recording artists.
                  Retired LASD

Comment

Originally posted by ExghettoPopo View Post
                    Bootleg DVD's

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Question about Bootleg DVD's

We seized a bunch of them from a guy selling them out of his front yard. Is there someone specific that we should contact with the MPAA or maybe the FED's?

Any info would be appreciated.
                    FBI.

Its a federal offense.

MPAA is a civilian group that goes around and sues people like that but have no regulatory power.

Comment

Originally posted by wirefire2 View Post
                      FBI.

Its a federal offense.

MPAA is a civilian group that goes around and sues people like that but have no regulatory power.
                      You have ZERO reading comprehension....for a Marine, too.
                      sigpic
                      Originally posted by DAL

Comment

Thanks everyone for the advice. This wasnt a MAJOR operation. We got about 200 DVD's from a guy selling at a yard sale.

We will be in contact with the MPAA this week to cover all bases.

Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by iamacop View Post
                          In Texas, we would just file Trademark Counterfeiting, which is a state charge... I think the Feds would only care if it is a large manufacturing ring...like warehouse size.
                          Same in Florida. It can be a felony depending on how many items, and we seize the cash as proceeds of criminal activity - and hold it for evidence and later forfeiture.

Comment

FJDAVE, Jim Orr hooked us up. He gave us a different felony charge to add that we didn't see. He's even going to have some training materials sent our way.

Thanks again for the info.

Comment

Here in Texas they sell bootleg DVDs in convience stores. I have never pressed the issue with them since I really doubt that even the Feds would care unless it was on a much larger scale.
                              Last edited by TXDSX; 09-11-2009, 03:43 AM.
                              Conduct every traffic stop extending the olive branch of peace; while having a tactical plan to kill everyone inside the vehicle. - Gordon Graham

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4677 users online. 273 members and 4404 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X