Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Watch your mouth.

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Watch your mouth.

    Hypothetical scenario. Hypothetical...

    ER nurse asks "What is she in for?" pointing to a handcuffed suspect.
    Officer answers "She robbed someone."

    Contained scene. By stander asks "What's going on here?"
    Officer answers "Some guy beat up his wife." while asking for the by stander to move on.

    Really? Did you see her rob someone? Did you see the guy beating up his wife?

    If the subject is someone you know who is rich enough to have a personal lawyer who'd sue you for slandering, would you say it?

  • #2
    Originally posted by GrayBlue View Post
    Hypothetical scenario. Hypothetical...

    ER nurse asks "What is she in for?" pointing to a handcuffed suspect.
    Officer answers "She robbed someone."

    Contained scene. By stander asks "What's going on here?"
    Officer answers "Some guy beat up his wife." while asking for the by stander to move on.

    Really? Did you see her rob someone? Did you see the guy beating up his wife?

    If the subject is someone you know who is rich enough to have a personal lawyer who'd sue you for slandering, would you say it?
    WTF?? Maybe im up to early...what are you talking about?

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by BlacknWhite View Post
      WTF?? Maybe im up to early...what are you talking about?
      LOL. +1

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by GrayBlue View Post
        Hypothetical scenario. Hypothetical...

        ER nurse asks "What is she in for?" pointing to a handcuffed suspect.
        Officer answers "She robbed someone."

        Contained scene. By stander asks "What's going on here?"
        Officer answers "Some guy beat up his wife." while asking for the by stander to move on.

        Really? Did you see her rob someone? Did you see the guy beating up his wife?

        If the subject is someone you know who is rich enough to have a personal lawyer who'd sue you for slandering, would you say it?
        Sir, have you been drinking tonigt?

        Yes, i'd say it, and have...even about professional athletes i've arrested. I've never been sued for it either.

        If they're in handcuffs and under arrest, then I believe that they're guilty of whatever it is I have them under arrest for and could really care less if they get butthurt over being called out for being a spade, when they are in fact a spade.
        Originally posted by K40
        To me, open carry is the equivalent of the couple making out and groping each other at the food court in the mall. Yeah, they are probably legal, as long as they don't start getting undressed. But they are still social retards.
        ‎"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him." - Rooster Cogburn

        Comment


        • #5
          I'll bite this one.

          I firmly believe in what I'll call "The Need to Know Principle".

          The bystander doesn't need to know anything and will be told to move on. The nurse needs to know that her patient is possibly a danger to her. She gets told what he is being charged with.

          And if the robber wants to sue me for being concerned about the safety of the medical personnel ------- So Be It!

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by GrayBlue View Post
            ER nurse asks "What is she in for?" pointing to a handcuffed suspect. Officer answers "She robbed someone."

            Contained scene. By stander asks "What's going on here?"
            Officer answers "Some guy beat up his wife." while asking for the bystander to move on.
            #1 The E/R nurse is allowed to know a little, as she has to prioritize treatment. The better answer to the first question is, "Robbery." Nothing more needs to be said in regards to the crime. I was at Cedars-Sinai once, with the victim of a vicious rape. The nosey, pushy, catty E/R nurse asked me what happened in the rape. I told her, "when I know you'll be the one attending to her, I'll discuss it." Sure enough, she wasn't.

            #2 "We're investigating a domestic violence...what did you see? Can I get your name and info?" That usually gets them moving on.

            In regards to the challenge, "Did you see it?" My usual answer is, "No, but I have arrested thousands of people whose crimes I did not personally see them commit. I'm allowed to, per the penal code of ______, you have a nice day, sir."
            Last edited by Kieth M.; 09-05-2009, 04:31 PM.
            "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

            Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

            Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

            Comment


            • #7
              I have found that "I don't know, I'm just helping out another officer," works quite well. Throwing in "did you see it" also helps get rid of them.
              Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
              Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

              Comment


              • #8
                You had enough probable cause to effect an arrest...how is that slander if you tell someone what you arrested someone for?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by EnWhyPeeDee View Post
                  You had enough probable cause to effect an arrest...how is that slander if you tell someone what you arrested someone for?
                  Saying that someone did something is different from saying that the person has been arrested on the charge.

                  I think that invading the privacy of the victim is a bigger concern.
                  Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
                  Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    What somebody has been arrested for is disclosable public records. You can just leave it at that. The nurse may need a few more details if it goes to his injuries.

                    +1 on asking nosey bodies if they saw what happend. Also a video camera in the ghetto is a great way to get the lookie lous away from your crime scenes. Just point it at people and they start to run away like it was some sort of friggin ray gun
                    Today's Quote:

                    "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
                    Albert Einstein

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Slander must be untruthful, and you must KNOW that it's untruthful...and spread it anyway. If you've arrested somebody, you better firmly believe that they did it, enough to be able to say to someone "this guy robbed somebody" and really believe that he did it.

                      This is a pointless question. If you've made an arrest and you don't believe the person actually did it, then you've got bigger problems than slander.
                      Originally posted by K40
                      To me, open carry is the equivalent of the couple making out and groping each other at the food court in the mall. Yeah, they are probably legal, as long as they don't start getting undressed. But they are still social retards.
                      ‎"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him." - Rooster Cogburn

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I have no idea what you are talking about. Do you mean you are making stuff up or are they really under arrest for what you are telling people. If they are being charged with it, it is public record.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by PtlCop View Post
                          Slander must be untruthful, and you must KNOW that it's untruthful...and spread it anyway. If you've arrested somebody, you better firmly believe that they did it, enough to be able to say to someone "this guy robbed somebody" and really believe that he did it.
                          I would not be worried about slander, but I do not believe your statement of the law is correct. Only when the defamed person is a public figure must actual malice, which is either knowledge of falsity or reckless disregard for the truth, be shown. That is why TV stations and newspapers say "allegedly."
                          Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
                          Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by mdrdep View Post
                            What somebody has been arrested for is disclosable public records. You can just leave it at that. The nurse may need a few more details if it goes to his injuries.

                            +1 on asking nosey bodies if they saw what happend. Also a video camera in the ghetto is a great way to get the lookie lous away from your crime scenes. Just point it at people and they start to run away like it was some sort of friggin ray gun
                            Man, you ain't kiddin'! It works like a citronella candle in mosquito season!
                            sigpic
                            Originally posted by Smurfette
                            Lord have mercy. You're about as slick as the business side of duct tape.
                            Originally posted by DAL
                            You are without doubt a void surrounded by a sphincter muscle.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by just joe View Post
                              I have no idea what you are talking about. Do you mean you are making stuff up or are they really under arrest for what you are telling people. If they are being charged with it, it is public record.
                              I think that what is being discussed is the difference between stating that someone has been arrested on suspicion of robbery and saying that he committed a robbery. Stating that someone has been arrested, if he has been arrested, is a truthful report of a public proceeding and so is absolutely privileged under defamation law, whereas stating that someone actually committed the crime is not -- unless he has been convicted.
                              Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
                              Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 4395 users online. 286 members and 4109 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X