300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retirement question

Does anyone know what the website is for our LEO Benefits? Not the one given by our state but I guess the federal benefit?
    "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The MARINES don't have that problem." ....Ronald Reagan

Federal benefit? If a state, county or municipal LEO is entitled to Federal Retirement Benefits, I am not aware of it. Show me too! I have been lacking for the past 17 years.

The only federal benefit I know of is Social Security at age 62 if you have accumulated an ample number of quarters - 40. Then they will reduce that by 66% unless you have been "Donating" to SS for thirty years.

Then, at age 65 you have to accept medicare - but, that is the horse of a different color.
    Last edited by SgtCHP; 09-02-2009, 09:54 AM.
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

Originally posted by SgtCHP View Post
      Federal benefit? If a state, county or municipal LEO is entitled to Federal Retirement Benefits, I am not aware of it. Show me too! I have been lacking for the past 17 years.

The only federal benefit I know of is Social Security at age 62 if you have accumulated an ample number of quarters - 40. Then they will reduce that by 66% unless you have been "Donating" to SS for thirty years.

Then, at age 65 you have to accept medicare - but, that is the horse of a different color.
      +1 Thats it. Social Security.

You might be thinking of Federal DEATH benefits if a PO is killed in the line of duy.

But there are no federal retirement benefits.
      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

No, there is a seperate benefit we get and it is federal funded and you loose it after you are eligible for Social Security and it's called LEO. I just want to locate the web site.
        "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The MARINES don't have that problem." ....Ronald Reagan

Comment

No such thing!!!
          "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm" -George Orwell

"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing diapers." - Blues Brothers

Comment

Maybe you'd get a plaque from Barry O......but nothing else....
            Went to Get a Cold Pop

Comment

Originally posted by Nightshift va View Post
              No, there is a seperate benefit we get and it is federal funded and you loose it after you are eligible for Social Security and it's called LEO. I just want to locate the web site.
              There's no such thing. I have numerous family members who are retired (my father and my uncles).

Comment

Originally posted by SgtCHP View Post

Heck and some of us won't even get that. We don't pay into SS with my city.
                "Rollin and Patrollin the Wild Wild West of Bham"

Comment

Originally posted by stillamarine View Post
                  Heck and some of us won't even get that. We don't pay into SS with my city.
                  How is that possible? I thought it was a requirement.

Comment

In Virginia we have LEO, but it's not a federal benefit. As a sworn police officer or firefighter we get 33% of our computed benefit added, until eligible for social security.

Comment

With LASD I never paid social security, Just my safety retirement. The only social security I ever paid was 3 years in the Army, so I will never get social security benefits.
                      Retired LASD

Comment

Originally posted by boomhower1820 View Post
                        How is that possible? I thought it was a requirement.
                        Many large governmental organizations have private pension plans that meet certain requirements and the employees are exempt from Social Security taxes.

In Iowa any police department in a city over 10,000 can join the statewide retirement system that is exempt.
                        http://www.mfprsi.org/

The Iowa Department of Public Safety (State Police) also have a seperate plan that is exempt

The rest of us state employees contribute to IPERS----which is not SS exempt.............so I get both .

Another notable exception to Social Security taxes is the National Railroad Retirement Trust.. Railroad employees nationwide do not pay into Social Security.

http://www.rrb.gov/mep/nrrit.asp
                        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

Comment

Originally posted by Nightshift va View Post
                          Does anyone know what the website is for our LEO Benefits? Not the one given by our state but I guess the federal benefit?
                          Originally posted by phillyrube View Post
                          In Virginia we have LEO, but it's not a federal benefit. As a sworn police officer or firefighter we get 33% of our computed benefit added, until eligible for social security.
                          a google search on the terms Virginia LEOS supplement found this document
                          http://www.varetire.org/Pdf/Publications/myVrsGuide.pdf
                          I think if you read the first page it might give you the information that will allow you to find the info you are asking for.
                          Last edited by Iowa #1603; 09-04-2009, 04:11 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4989 users online. 263 members and 4726 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X