300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off-Duty insurance coverage

Does anyone here have a Dept. Policy or contact information in reference to how your agency deals with their Officer's working part-time jobs as Police Officers, and being covered by insurance & Workers Comp.

I have heard that some State Agencies make the other employer provide coverage in case something happens to the Officer, and some make the individual Officer take care of their own insurance & Workers Comp.

Our City Manager has just clarified to us that if we are working as a "Police Officer" on a part time job for a private employer, then they will not cover us for any liability claims or Workers Comp claims if we're injured.

Does anyone have any good info on this topic?

Thankyou.

We are required to have off duty liablity insurance to work anything not paid by the city. It's offered through the FOP and like 200 and some change a year.
    "Rollin and Patrollin the Wild Wild West of Bham"

Comment

Originally posted by MGD45 View Post
      Does anyone here have a Dept. Policy or contact information in reference to how your agency deals with their Officer's working part-time jobs as Police Officers, and being covered by insurance & Workers Comp.

I have heard that some State Agencies make the other employer provide coverage in case something happens to the Officer, and some make the individual Officer take care of their own insurance & Workers Comp.

Our City Manager has just clarified to us that if we are working as a "Police Officer" on a part time job for a private employer, then they will not cover us for any liability claims or Workers Comp claims if we're injured.

Does anyone have any good info on this topic?

Thankyou.
      Pretty common requirement with entities that permit Off-Duty employment as a Police Officer. Don't find yourself in a situation where you're working for a private entity, get hurt, and aren't covered. The stance of your City, as stated by your City Mgr, is very common. Get coverage from the FOP, or some one. As the commercial says. "Don't leave home without it".

Comment

Thanks for the responses.

Comment

Here's how it usually works

If I work an overtime assignment for my department and get sued, my department is obliged as a matter of law to defend me. If I get hurt, they are obliged to pay my medical bills. If I am injured and can never work again, I get a disability retirement.

OTOH, if I work an off duty job for a private employer and get sued, he has no obligation to provide me with a legal defense. If I get hurt, he will claim I was an independent contractor and refuse to pay my medical bills. If I am injured and can never work again, my department will medically terminate me without a pension or benefits, just as if I had been injured in an off duty car accident.

I would limit any extracurricular law enforcement work to overtime assignments with your own department.
          Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

I understand the concept of the on duty vs. off duty liability stuff......but we're a small Dept. and we really only get to work the local high school for football/basketball games and the big Fair that is 2 weeks long. We are essentually made to work the Fair.....but it's considered off-duty employment.

I was just curious as to whether anyone on here has a Dept. that has a specific policy addressing this and whether or not they might have an example of that policy. I have located on the internet that the Arizona State Patrol makes the off-duty employer provide the liability/worklers comp for the State Troopers. They also have to provide the State Patrol a copy of their insurance coverage and sign an agreement that they will cover the Troopers.

I was just seeing if anyone here has something similar in their Dept.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12119 users online. 476 members and 11643 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X