300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    I don't mind DUI's....I'm a traffic-oriented guy... the paperwork is DEFINATELY a PITA though.

1. Establish a driving pattern if possible, instead of my cheezy PC that I usually get (plate lights out, no front plate etc.)
    2. Establish alcohol or narcotics U/I symptomology
    3. Ask the 20 PRE-SFST questions.
    4. Conduct SFST's. (Nystagmus, walk and turn, one-leg-stand), complete CHP202c SFST card.
    5. Ask for voluntary PAS (If refusal, refer to #6)
    6. After PAS test, or PAS refusal, arrest for DUI.
    7. Offer blood or breath test (Intoxilyzer/E-PAS)
    8. If they choose blood, transport to hospital for blood draw (30 min-1hr)
    9. Otherwise, transport to station for booking, breathalyzer.
    10. If drug use suspected, obtain urine sample.
    11. Released on citation to appear, if high BAC, transport to county jail (45min-1.5hr.)
    12. Complete DUI crime report, complete CHP202 DUI Form, complete DMV APS (Admin Per Se) and serve to driver prior to release.
    13. Total time from arrest to completion: 2-3 hours.

Leave a comment:

• JSD73
    replied
    I can't speak for anywhere but in Texas of course you can bypass the DUI laws. I do it all the time, especially when we are busy. That's why God made traffic laws....you can arrest for damn near anything.

Leave a comment:

• ryker
    replied
    I wonder if in some states you could bypass the DUI charge and go for a wreck less driving charge. Or simply stack up the traffic violations.

-Failure to maintain lane
    -Open container
    -Public intoxication
    -Driving too fast for conditions (ie a drunk shouldn't be at any speed great than 0mph)

That is at least 4 charges and about 600.00 in fines, trip to jail, car towed, several points on his drivers records and increased auto insurance.

Leave a comment:

• Sheepdog110
    replied
    Since nobody else has mentioned it yet...

"Saw drunk, arrested same." -JD Buck Savage

Paperwork = Done

Here is a reference: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJbuyC9KaJg

If only that's all it took to do a DUI. Someone else mentioned that they were second on DUI arrests. So am I, and, to my knowledge, I haven't lost any of them yet. I had excellent teachers. That time will come, I'm sure, and it's crap that the system now looks at it as "what did the Officer screw up" instead of "did the suspect commit this crime or not."

Keep your heads up guys. It makes a difference, regardless of how you choose to deal with it. It's all about keeping the roads safe.

Leave a comment:

• J_Mann
    replied
    DUI is the single most complicated traffic offense. Some guys love them, some guys hate them. I personally love them. You can sleep well at night, because you at least save his life, probably more. If it gets kicked, it gets kicked. You did your job, he's off the road. Case closed.

Anyone else out there do the multiple charge thing for dui?

Example:

Charge 1 would be your "operated a motor vehicle >.08, etc..."

Charge 2 would be "operated a motor vehicle under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs"

I found that if my breath test gets kicked for some odd reason, my prosecutor will still get the, what we call "A1a" or general operating under the influence charge.

Thoughts/comments?

Leave a comment:

• ryker
    replied
    To the OP. Sure the drunk driver might not serve much jail time but it starts the chain.

With most states requiring numerous DUI's before the punishment racks up it must start with the first one.

Also time served in jail might be minute but they still must hire a lawyer, attend trials, get a record that could effect employment even if not guilty, risk of community service and increased car insurance.

I too don't understand why DUI's require so much paperwork hassle. I can charge a person with a felony assault charge with 90% less hassle. Perhaps MADD could be used to lobby on behalf of improving the process.

I know that it would be hard for me to bother with a DUI at 4hrs before shift change. Knowing it will take about 2hrs to process and about an hour to hand write the reports.... We have to include all details in the hand written reports including the direction of travel of patrol car and suspects car. Route taken when following suspect. What was observed by the car. etc etc etc

Leave a comment:

• Ralph8119
    replied
    Does this mean you won't stop another D.U.I. or is it you won't take the arrest?
    In any case I and others here know with all the crap you'll do your job 101% my best and as they say one day at a time brother!

Leave a comment:

• Fugitive Hunter
    replied
    I locked a guys keys in his car trunk the other day, doesnt say in my policy I have to arrest him. I guess I still had the same effect without doing all the BS DUI paperwork. Then went out and got a child molester on a Failure to Register Class 4 felony. That was really gratifying. To each his own.

Leave a comment:

• creolecop
    replied
    Originally posted by Kieth M. View Post
    Next time, if a big wig calls, just tell him, "Your friend was not only DUI, but I'm afraid he had a nekkid, oiled up, 17 y/o male hustler with him...." You will probably find youself speaking to a dial tone.
    Keith, LOL, you crack me up....Believe it or not since this post was made, the legislature passed some revisions to the DUI laws. They put some more teeth in them that went into effect Sept 1st. So we'll see what ways are found to skirt them now. The penalties are actually stiffer for refusing to blow rather than blowing drunk. Previously it was better to refuse if you know you are drunk. Also if you are caught driving suspended as a result of a DUI it's "SUPPOSE" to be an automatic 30days in jail. They said the biggest hurt before was the suspension but that it wasn't stopping folks from driving, well no ****. Though I'm sure somehow that won't apply so black and white. However, I have given reconsideration to doing DUI's again since they passed these new penalties. It's weird because out of no where they started saying on the news the legislature were about to vote on several new laws and I heard about this, then it seems like after hearing about it in 3 weeks it was passed and we got briefed on the new laws.
    Last edited by creolecop; 09-05-2009, 07:09 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Kieth M.
    replied
    Next time, if a big wig calls, just tell him, "Your friend was not only DUI, but I'm afraid he had a nekkid, oiled up, 17 y/o male hustler with him...." You will probably find youself speaking to a dial tone.

Leave a comment:

• CruiserClass
    replied
    Originally posted by Kycop28 View Post
    1. You got him off the road-Prob SAVED a life
    2. He will need an Attorney even if he wins- He wasted $
    3. Hopefully you towed his car-More $
    4. Embarassment-Priceless
    5. If he does it again, the media could find out due to his connections
    6. If he injuries someone next time-Media will KNOW he got popped b4 but then nothing happened due to a pity mistake-PRICELESS Embarassment
    7. You+Court=OVERTIME
    8-You did your job, I know the frustration but look at all the video tributes of people who lost their family member to a DRUNK, looka t it this way, you just prevented one less life form being taken=Satisfaction.
    Kind of how I look at it. Thanks to the hours I work I don't get a lot of DUIs on regular patrol, but I work a lot of DUI enforcement details. I get overtime. You get a towed car, a trip to processing in a wagon, and a lawyer bill. Even if you win, did you?

Leave a comment:

• Mcop1115
    replied
    One thing I learned early on is

YOU CAN BEAT THE RAP BUT NOT THE RIDE!!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• tripledouble
    replied
    Every state is different. We all have a lot of paperwork and steps to arrest a DUI/DWI driver.
    I try to hook up as many as possible (I haven't stopped that many this year unfortunately). Paperwork is a non-issue, it's part of the job.
    Here, DUI/DIP arrestees stay in jail until they are sober. Even if the court suspends time and fines after a conviction, their auto insurance premiums will go up and they get that arrest added to their driving record.

Leave a comment:

• powerstroked
    replied
    Heres your motivation! When you pull one off the road just think of the mother, father, children, or your partner had less of a chance of getting hit by a drunk driver. I love hunting DWI's I even pull OT just so I can hunt city wide. Do I want convictions? Hell YES! But I work in Travis county very liberal. But just the other day I took a guy off the road that was driving with 6yo kid while drinking brown liquor from a 32oz Styrofoam cup. I got his blood and it is a Felony here to have someone in the vehicle under the age of 15. Will it stick? I hope so but if it doesn't then I just save that little boys life.

Leave a comment:

• Echo5Charlie
    replied
    First, good job on getting this guy off the street. YOU are the one that messed up on the paperwork. Learn from it, don't make the same mistake the next time. I also made a simple checklist to make sure I got everything filled out correctly. It helps because we all know there is a ton of paperwork that goes with DUI arrests. It may his first one in a long time, but how many times has he driven while under the influence without getting caught? How many lives did you possibly save by getting him off the street? If you weren't paying attention that night, you could have been the one hurt/killed. Learn from your mistake, and stay vigilant. Keep going after the DUI's, it's the only way you will learn what to do. Ask questions of the guys that do a lot of DUI's in your department, they will help I'm sure.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4246 users online. 258 members and 3988 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X