300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Sad Day For The NYPD IE IAB

This Letter was posted by a dear friend on police link, I thought you´d all post your feelings on how the NYPD are treating their retired officers!

Apprently a 10-13 Club in Arizona received a letter from IAB, telling them that they had to stop using the NYPD Logo (patch). Here is their response:

June 25, 2009

City of New York

One Police Plaza Room 1406

New York, NY 10038

Attention: Lieutenant John McGovern

Police Impersonation Investigative Unit

11-40 45th Road

Long Island City, NY 11101

Re: Cease and Desist Letter May 5, 2009

Dear Lt. McGovern:

I am in receipt of your letter of May 5, 2009. Frankly, I am very surprised at the time, energy, effort and expense that The City of New York is dedicating to this trivial matter.

Your squad must have a 100% clearance rate to spare you valuable time on this petty matter.

Our organization has about one hundred members whose combined service to the City of New York is well over 1500 years. Many of them served at ground zero as both active and retired members. What do we get as thanks? Your letter!

As retired members we ask very little of our former employer, and usually get little or nothing in return. Our pensions and health care shrink against inflation. Our former employer however, will mail us questionnaires about our special skills so we can be called into service during an emergency. To date, the NYPD refuses to train or allow members to qualify at their range in compliance with the Law Enforcement Safety Act. They even threaten members with arrest should they be found in possession of a firearm in the city. Despite the fact members have qualified in other states pursuant to local law. It appears that New York City Police enforce and obey only the laws they like.

This club along with ALL other line organizations has used the NYPD shield, patch and logo for many years with the permission of the City of New York. As stated above, our members have over one thousand years of service to the city. We have "EARNED" the right to use these logos and patches. I myself have worked in some of the most dangerous places in the city; I cannot ever recall seeing any members of IAD at any 10-13, shootings, and robberies in progress or riots. I have seen them arrive later, when the danger was over. That way they could make sure everyone had their hats on.

I believe that the alleged violations of the New York City Administrative Code are a non-issue in the State of Arizona. Any alleged violations of Federal Trademarks associated with the logos are also a non issue. We are a non profit organization; we do not sell our cards or shirts for profit. We do not even sell them to non members.

So, in conclusion you can take your cease and desist letter and shove it where the sun don't shine.

Yours truly,

Richard Stone

Arizona 10-13

President
    Take care and stay safe!
    Ralph8119
    A Little Something Else For Those 60's & 70's Music Lovers On Line!
    sigpic
    http://www.myfreenetradio.com/listen70s.asx

A Cool Website On History In Photos Of The New York City Police Department!
    http://www.policeny.com/home.html

Policelink!
    http://policelink.monster.com/member/Ralph8119

Inside The New York City Police Academy!
    http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/html/pr/videos.shtml

IAB couldn't find a collar in a shirt factory. Going after retired MOS for using the shield and patch...disgraceful
    Last edited by EnWhyPeeDee; 07-19-2009, 01:52 PM.

Comment

My Grandma wants to way in on the first posting of this thread to IAB´s Boss´s!

Proud Member 10-13 club!!

Last edited by Ralph8119; 07-23-2009, 07:37 PM.
      Take care and stay safe!
      Ralph8119
      sigpic

Policelink!

Comment

It's amazing how IAB has the manpower to spend time on nonsense like this. The Ret. P/O let them know that IAB's efforts were well received. Nice to let these retired Officers know that their service to the city is appreciated.

Our Dept. won't let retired P/O's qualify on any city ranges either. You have to got to the Ill. State Police range to qualify when retired.

Comment

.....Deleted......
          Last edited by EnWhyPeeDee; 07-19-2009, 04:53 PM.

Comment

Unreal.

- V

Comment

Originally posted by ChiTownDet View Post
              Our Dept. won't let retired P/O's qualify on any city ranges either. You have to got to the Ill. State Police range to qualify when retired.
              This is the first time I've heard of such policies. It's pathetic.
              "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

Originally posted by pulicords View Post
                This is the first time I've heard of such policies. It's pathetic.

Very sad and disappointing, but not surprising!
                Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Comment

A small part of me can see the cities point of view with not offering qualifcation opportunities to retired LEO's to allow them to carry undert he LEOSA. I can see where there could potentially be a liability issue there, and city attorneys (not police chiefs) being wary of retired officers, of any age, physical ability, mental sharpness, etc, being allowed to carry under the act with their city name attached to it. Part of me can see that being an issue for some cities. So it's hard for me to get on them about that. The rest of the letter...complete BS, and that's one of the best comebacks i've read in a long time.

Almost as good as the Plymouth Neon complaint letter...

http://www.flinksnorph.com/chrysler.html
                  Originally posted by K40
                  To me, open carry is the equivalent of the couple making out and groping each other at the food court in the mall. Yeah, they are probably legal, as long as they don't start getting undressed. But they are still social retards.
                  ‎"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him." - Rooster Cogburn

Comment

I can buy an NYPD hat with their patch on any street corner in NY and they go after their retirees? Of course this is the agency that invented IA spies to work the ranks with officers.

I am so glad I work for an agency whose IA dept consists of one Sgt.
                    Last edited by Garbage Man; 07-19-2009, 06:07 PM.
                    Originally posted by FJDave
                    GM, you have just set the bar that much higher for the rest of us in our witty, sarcastic responses. I yield to you! Good job, kind Sir!

District B13
                    "We are not cops nor Feds." yet he still poses as an officer Hmmmm

Grant us grace, fearlessly, to contend against evil and to make no peace with oppression.--WWII memorial

"I have loved justice and hated iniquity, therefore I die in exile."

Pope Gregory V II

Comment

IAB is usually made up of cops who could never do police work and are despised by the other coppers on their squad. Thus they get the perfect job to pay everyone back. When I worked back East they use to plant stuff in officers cars to see if they would log it at the begginging of their shift. The policy of searching your back seat before shift.They couldnt make an arrest to save their lives and only screw the hard working cops while the cops who really are dirty get away.

Comment

Enough said!!!

We ride for those who died!

RIP SgtCHP!

Comment

Originally posted by PtlCop View Post
                          A small part of me can see the cities point of view with not offering qualifcation opportunities to retired LEO's to allow them to carry undert he LEOSA. I can see where there could potentially be a liability issue there, and city attorneys (not police chiefs) being wary of retired officers, of any age, physical ability, mental sharpness, etc, being allowed to carry under the act with their city name attached to it. Part of me can see that being an issue for some cities. So it's hard for me to get on them about that. The rest of the letter...complete BS, and that's one of the best comebacks i've read in a long time.

Almost as good as the Plymouth Neon complaint letter...

http://www.flinksnorph.com/chrysler.html
                          HR 218 states a retired Officer is required to shoot the same course of fire as active Officers shoot. As a firearms instructor, I can state that there are many currently employed active Officers that have difficulty with the above mentioned abilities. The documentation required is Dept. ID and badge and a compliance card, signed by an instructor. All it states is pass/fail on the standard course of fire and the date and card number. HR 218 has been in effect since July of 2004, unfortunately many states have no standardized cards or procedures to run people (retired) thru the course. FDLE started sending out numbered compliance cards to FDLE instructors some weeks back.

HR 218 is the Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act. Federal Law. It gives active and retired Officers the right to carry their weapon nationwide, subject to restrictions.(certain private property, etc) It does NOT give anyone the right to be a free-lance Policeman and make arrests or detain subjects out of state. Besides protecting myself and family, the only time I would intervene is if I came across an Officer needing assistance, otherwise, be a good witness. The fact the law has been in effect for 5 years now and no reports of misuse have surfaced is a good thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike 842 View Post
                            HR 218 states a retired Officer is required to shoot the same course of fire as active Officers shoot. As a firearms instructor, I can state that there are many currently employed active Officers that have difficulty with the above mentioned abilities. The documentation required is Dept. ID and badge and a compliance card, signed by an instructor. All it states is pass/fail on the standard course of fire and the date and card number. HR 218 has been in effect since July of 2004, unfortunately many states have no standardized cards or procedures to run people (retired) thru the course. FDLE started sending out numbered compliance cards to FDLE instructors some weeks back.

HR 218 is the Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act. Federal Law. It gives active and retired Officers the right to carry their weapon nationwide, subject to restrictions.(certain private property, etc) It does NOT give anyone the right to be a free-lance Policeman and make arrests or detain subjects out of state. Besides protecting myself and family, the only time I would intervene is if I came across an Officer needing assistance, otherwise, be a good witness. The fact the law has been in effect for 5 years now and no reports of misuse have surfaced is a good thing.
                            Right, I understand EXACTLY what the LEOSA, but thanks for explaining it to me as though I were a child.

What I'm saying is, the department could obviosuly retain SOME liability if an incident goes bad, so I can see what some cities won't sign off on it. That's all i'm saying.
                            Originally posted by K40
                            To me, open carry is the equivalent of the couple making out and groping each other at the food court in the mall. Yeah, they are probably legal, as long as they don't start getting undressed. But they are still social retards.
                            ‎"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him." - Rooster Cogburn

Comment

And my thread was only to show how much blood too shed for your department!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                              Take care and stay safe!
                              Ralph8119
                              sigpic

Policelink!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6276 users online. 346 members and 5930 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X