Collapse

Leaderboard

Collapse

Leaderboard Tablet

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who's your agency's 'frequent-flyer' victim?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who's your agency's 'frequent-flyer' victim?

It can be either a person or a business.

Ours is Home Depot...we have a team of turds who will (most recently) buy a boxed cabinet or sink....fill the empty space in the box with power tools, and buy the boxed item. Of course the zonker will go off, but they routinely dismiss it as just the failure of the checker and out the suspect goes with an $89 cabinet containing $1200 in hidden power tools. Then they return the cabinet for a refund!

Another scheme was filling a shopping cart with rolls of copper wire, and covering all the wire with packaged plastic tarps. The suspect told the clerk, "I have XX tarps." Too lazy to count the tarps or examine the cart contents, she charged him maybe $100 and out he walked with $2500 in wire.

Just the other day, the staff discovered many power tools and a couple of chain saws in the garden area, where suspects had attempted to throw the goods over the fence but they landed on the fertilizer bags. Personally, I don't think I'd want to be "catching" a boxed chain saw, but that's just me.

The odd thing is, Home Depot does very little in the way of loss prevention/apprehension (at least to my perception). I don't know what their deal is, here. Glad I'm not a shareholder.

Of course, you don't have to use the real names of people or businesses, a general description will suffice.
    Last edited by Kieth M.; 06-06-2009, 08:47 PM.
    "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

We have a few gas stations that get robbed all the time. Just the usual. some guy walks in with a gun and demands money. However one one our privately owned ones dont get robbed to often since they are better armed that the robber.
    Making the streets safer, one donut at a time

Comment

Check cashing places. They cash checks for any moron who can fog a mirror, then want to swear out warrants on those who cash bogus or stolen checks.

I'm actually on a first name basis with the owner of one particular check cashing joint... its gotten to the point where Randy puts his warrants and complaints in such perfect order that a case from his check cashing place is like a canned conviction. Now we're just trying to get him to tip off the cops on the front end.

Comment

Wal Mart for me

Comment

Originally posted by nolo View Post
          Check cashing places. They cash checks for any moron who can fog a mirror, then want to swear out warrants on those who cash bogus or stolen checks.
          We'll take an outright forgery from those guys but not an account-closed or NSF check. The city attorney told them rubber checks are part of the cost of doing business, the police were not their collection agency.

Comment

Kroger for shoplifting, gas stations for robberies, thug/strip clubs for fights and huge civil disturbances. The we have our frequent familys that dont get along with one another. Then we have our frequent crazy lady. The condo next to hers is selling for a whopping $30,000.

Comment

I would have to say Walmart and our Sears store at the local mall. Both have pretty agressive loss prevention programs. To echo Kieth's story when I was a detective I worked a pretty big forgery case where a guy was bombing checks at Lowe's and Home Depot to buy expensive power tools, which he would then pawn for cash. I was able to recover a signficant portion of the property. I had to pull teeth to get Lowes to come get their stuff and then they refused to prosecute the guy. I couldn't believe it he probably got well over 10k worth of merchandise from their store alone.

Comment

"GPS Junkie" is the big rube (individual/person-type) in my area. As far as a business-type, take your pick of any store with a pharmacy.

"GPS Junkie" is short-sighted and oblivious to his/her surroundings. GPSJ, for short, is fascinated by Tom-Tom and can't drive 3 miles to the mall without him. GPSJ finds it necessary to leave Tom-Tom on display in the car while shopping. GPSJ is repeatedly shocked to return to his/her vehicle to find windows smashed and Tom-Tom missing.

The pharmacies are getting slammed with Rx frauds. A few rings of scammers are bringing in stolen/forged Rx slips for the usual (Vicodin, Oxy, etc.)

Despite "public education" efforts, GPSJ, being the oblivious person he/she is, continues to be victimized (I never thought it would happen to ME). The pharmacies, at least, know what to look for, and many of the fraud rings are being disrupted. Some are coming from 50-100 miles away to operate.
                Those who stand for nothing often fall for anything.

Comment

Macy's. But the cases and reports are good so I can't complain.

We have several slummy motels that have their nasty once a week heroin OD death case.

There was a Walmart here that got rid of their loss prevention for a couple years. After they tallied up the losses it was well into the seven figure range. They have them back now. We have a program where the stores can fill out the crime cases and send them to records with having an officer just come down look them over and issue a cite for minor petty theft. Takes ten minutes from start to finish. Fry's is great with that.
                  Last edited by nobodyjr; 06-07-2009, 11:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kieth M. View Post
                    It can be either a person or a business.

course the zonker will go off, but they routinely dismiss it as just the failure of the checker and out the suspect goes with an $89 cabinet containing $1200 in hidden power tools. Then they return the cabinet for a refund!

Another scheme was filling a shopping cart with rolls of copper wire, and covering all the wire with packaged plastic tarps. The suspect told the clerk, "I have XX tarps." Too lazy to count the tarps or examine the cart contents, she charged him maybe $100 and out he walked with $2500 in wire.
                    They do that around here too. Walmart started putting tie downs on the large bins/containers as people would fill them and the teller would just scan them through or they would go throught the self check out. Now the bad guys just bring there own tie downs and put them on after filling them.

They also go "fencing". They take a LCD TV or other electronics and cover it with clothes in the cart. Go over to the lawn and garden section and when no one is looking the simply toss the equipment over the fence and come back later in the hours of darkness and retrieve the items... And we were wondering why everyone has nice TVs in their homes

Comment

Definitely Wal Mart.

Comment

Wal-Mart. Deff. dirt bag city. I wont set foot in the place off duty.

Most of our stop and robs dont get robbed much anymore. The gangbangers have figured out that if they protect the store, the owner will protect them ie. not reporting running into the stores during foot chases or ducking inside when they see a unit patrolling and moving security cameras to give them a little blind spot so we cant see much during tape reviews of crimes. Ive seen some guys get their a** handed to them by the local thugs after trying to rob "their" store.

GPS Junkie has family here also, and the dirt bags are now smashing windows of any car with the suction cup markings on the windows because they know its probably in there somewhere.

Other than that, sounds like we have the same problems as anyone.
                        NEVER TURN YOUR LIFE AROUND. Most people that do end up shot stabbed or maimed in other violent ways....

Comment

And oh yeah. Cant forget the out of the area contractors. A large home rehab grant has some of even our poorest neighborhoods looking decent. It also has some of the contractors thinking they can leave tools around during breaks and stuff, in these "nice" looking areas. WRONG!! They eventually figure out neighborhood looks can be deceiving.
                          NEVER TURN YOUR LIFE AROUND. Most people that do end up shot stabbed or maimed in other violent ways....

Comment

The worst ones out here are the Circle K's with shopliftings/ beer runs, i.e. dude runs in, grabs a 30 pack of beer, and runs out. We get several a night, and the stores REFUSE to lock their beer cases or move the beer away from the doors....
                            1*

Ten dash eight!

Comment

When I worked the downtown precinct, I remember numerous calls to office buildings where female employees had their purses stolen from their desk drawer. It always seemed to be the lower right hand drawer. It happened day after day.
                              The views/opinions expressed here are solely mine. I'm retired and I don't care. I truly do not want to offend anyone, but if you are thin skinned and have no sense of humor, you better find another line of work. Therefore, I don't have to be politically correct and I will exercise my freedom of speech, until it's taken away. May God bless all retirees. We've done our duty and earned our peace.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4406 users online. 211 members and 4195 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X