No announcement yet.

Need some Help guys...... Really Lost.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some Help guys...... Really Lost.

Just want to get some advise from you all who may know what I am talking about since my family is struggling to undertsand my motivations. Here is the sit rep I have been in LE for nearly 9 years now and love every minute of it. I was patrol for a while then K-9 for 6 and 1/2 years and now within the last 6 months took a job as a Special Agent. So this is my problem..... I am not really feeling the whole Special Agent thing and really really miss being in unifrom and being on the road. I truly want to be back in K-9 again and working a dog too. I am almost certain my heart lies back in K-9 and being on the road. This investigation stuff is interestinng but, my heart is not in it like it was when I was K-9.

So you all are probably wondering why did I leave.... well that was in an effort to try and save a failing marriage and have some kind of a normal life with normal hours. In addition I was kind of being told that my education was being wasted by not doing investigations full time (I have a masters in Criminal Justice) So thats why I applied and when offered I accepted. Needless to say my marriage still fell in to the craper and now I really miss
    K-9. So do I give up the Special Agent gig and try and apply for another uniformed spot and hope I can get back into K-9 one day or do I give this a try?????? My family thinks I am nuts for wanting to be back in unifrom on the road working K-9. Any advice??

Tough one man, me personally when I went into LE I never imagined or desired to do anything but uniform work. I can tell you that I have had several buddies of mine leave here to pursue Fed Jobs,, Air Marshalls, Secret Service, Ect.. and almost everyone of them with the exception of 2 wanted to come back to the PD in less than a year after completing their schooling and seeing what the job entailed. Most of them said it was much more paper work than actually kicking in doors and getting the bad guys. I'd say do what makes you happy.
    "I would rather live one day as a Lion, than a thousand years as a Sheep."

Comment

Do you have kids?

If so do whatever is best for them to be with their father?

If your marriage falling into the crapper means you are single again and no kids, do what you want to do?
      Do your best, do what is right

Comment

I'd give it a few more months to be sure. The longer you do it, the more intense will be either your drive to return to dog duty or, to remain where you are.

Time is your friend here. I agree you should put that MAster's to work but I also understand being happy in your work is paramount.

Good luck. Give it more time, bro.
        The All New
        BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
        Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
        - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Comment

It really doesn't matter what any of us say. What matters is what you want out of your LONG term career.

The grass is not always greener, BUT usually doing something you really don't "want" to do is going to give you better long term results in the end...

Adversity tends to mold you into a better person if you handle it with grace and determination...

Sounds like a lot going on in your life, and you probably needed this new outlook whether you wanted it or not.

This is your chance. Gets some child molestors off the street, or whatever specific dirtbags you have a passion to catch off the street.

Go do it man!!!! Kick some @ss, take some name!!!!

The past is the past. Drop it, and move forward with your head held high, and your cuffs in your hand....
          Be safe pulling back into the thread...
          http://infidelswithhonor.com/

Comment

Follow your heart, go back to local LE. I can't tell you the look of envy I see on the faces of Agts. when we took down drug houses, or suspects they wanted. Of course the headlines always read they did it but what mattered is knowing that you are the point of the spear, not them.

15+ years of this career field and going federal appears to be the worst thing you can do to a proactive human being in this line of work.

Comment

I would give your current gig at least a year, it takes that long to really understand the job. During that time really check out where you would want to go to if you go back to uniformed patrol, look at different departments and positions, there is a ton of possibilities all waiting.
              Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Comment

Give the SA job some time, typically the worst time in most SA's careers is the first two years when you are on probation and they don't give you big cases. Things get better after two years, so I'd say give it at least two years before you make your decision.

Is pay and benefits a concern?

You can't beat the excitement of patrol and being a first responder, so after two years if you are dying to go back, I'd go back...

Comment

I started out as a Dog Handler. Itired of the way the Militart treats their digs like Equipment avd Cross trained away from LE. 7 years down the road, I'm in an 1811 slot as well. I too miss roadwork, but I am using the next few years to shore up my training qualifications, finish another degree, and get my Mil Retirement.

This will put me at 37 when I retire, college done, no debts, kids college paid for, with multiple instructor certifications.

Then, I'll apply to a local/state dept, where I can be a patrolman again. Maybe an FTO eventually, or K-9 again.

my point is that I will be financially and edumacationaly set when I go back to patrol. I will be able to concentrate on the job, without having to scrap for promotions, or do school off duty.

your mileage may vary.

M-11

ps typing with one hand on oxycodone, gimmie a break
                  Last edited by M-11; 04-11-2009, 08:32 AM.
                  “All men dream...... But not equally..
                  Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;
                  but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
                  for they act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible.....”

TE Lawrence

Comment

Originally posted by k91376 View Post
                    In addition I was kind of being told that my education was being wasted by not doing investigations full time (I have a masters in Criminal Justice) So thats why I applied and when offered I accepted. Any advice??

Have you considered going with a state investigatory agency, there you would “put your masters degree to work” and get much more of “street police work” than you will with the Feds. Many will hire you with your experience directly; Georgia Bureau of Investigations, California Bureau of Investigations, Florida Dept. of Law Enforcement, SC State Law Enforcement Division, are great agencies among many to choose from. Texas Rangers is a bit more work to get into but…

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/directo.../jobduties.htm
                    http://ag.ca.gov/cbi/
                    http://www.fdle.state.fl.us/Content/home.aspx
                    http://www.sled.sc.gov/
                    http://gbi.georgia.gov/02/gbi/home/0...769509876B9A38
                    Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Comment

Just wanted to say thanks to all those who have responded so far. I appreciate all the advice and hearing from folks who know and understand my situation better then the average person (ie Family). I really think following my heart and doing what makes me happy is the best thing. Especially after all thats happened. No kids from the marriage so its just me and my dog to worry about. Makes it a little easier on me. With that said, who knows how long before I can get back in uniform and K-9 though. Thanks for all the advice so far guys.

Comment

Surprisingly, no one here has focused on the one think that meant the most to me... your marriage.

It really sickens me that so many people bail out of their their marriages and on their family when things get tough (generally speaking... I am not referring to you since you are obviously concerned about the issue). Doing what is necessary to fix that issue comes first. Once that is resolved, then it is time to make a decision on whether or not to make another career move.

My marriage was in the crapper a couple of years ago too. I thought there was no saving it. A friend of mine gave me a book called "The Love Dare". It is actually a 40 day "challenge" for you to follow. Everyone I know who has done this and taken it SERIOUSLY and did it WHOLE HEARTEDLY make drastic improvements in their marriages. Mine is happier now than it ever was. I would suggest giving it a try. I saw a copy at Wal-Mart the other day so it should be easy to find. I "Dare" you to try it.

I understand your work delima aslo. I made the mistake of going into CID several years ago. I hated every second of it (except for the 8-5 M-F hours). I belong on the street and always will, so I am back out here doing what I was meant to do. Maybe you are the same. Give it enough time to make a fair evaluation. Fix your family issues first, then decide.
                        When did the eyes of Justice turn away from facts and evidence in a case and focus on the talent of the defense attorney and his abilities to suppress such facts and evidence?

Comment

Originally posted by M-11 View Post

your mileage may vary.

M-11

ps typing with one hand on oxycodone, gimmie a break
                          You Sir, are an animal. Enjoy the drugs!
                          The All New
                          BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
                          Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
                          - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Comment

Uniform patrol for 5 years, then went in to the detectives. Loved it! Had a blast! Overtime out the wazoo! But I always maintained I was a uniform patrol guy on temporary assignment...and I was out there doing uniform stuff, backing up officers, responding to calls....when it got to the point we had so many new officers on the job, I was afraid I would be mistaken for a bad guy....so I took the sergeant's exam, and now back in Uniform Patrol, back where I belong. I just turned down a spot for a detective sergeant. I'd rather be out and about with my "kids!"

Comment

Eh. Maybe I'm different that others here, but once I've made up my mind, it's done. Staying longer doesn't change anything FOR ME and that's covered everything I can think of in my life. I don't suggest that for everyone...for me, it's ideal. I personally go with my gut instinct and I haven't been wrong yet. But hey, maybe their way is better and you wait it out. Personally, I'd view it as not wasting another second on what makes me unhappy.

Good luck to you, though
                              sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10364 users online. 396 members and 9968 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
                              X