X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pujolsfan146
    replied
    Originally posted by Machine View Post
    Outstanding supervision. Instead of trying to lead troops, attempt to ding an evaluation. Every think that the guys who are avoiding coming to work, are sick of dealing with dingdongs like you?

How do you deal with this pattern Einstein? I work a 6/3. Any day that I may call in sick has a 66% chance of being in conjunction with a RDO or a weekend.

I bet the majority of troops with over 5 years on the job who become malingerers, do it after having repeated negative experience with you mopes who are supposed to be leading. The real venal thieves are you donks who make boss and then attempt to "lead" by (please pick up on the implied sarcasm) picking up on patterns.

How about talking to the guy and figuring out how many times he's been screwed over and taking care of him.
    Wow. Nice first post. Now go take your meds.

Leave a comment:

• wirefire2
    replied
    For the supervisors: document, document, document, document. Then when they screw up big you just open the file of shame.

Leave a comment:

• PhilipCal
    replied
    There is some "poetic justice" some times, and I've seen it happen. It's rather similar to the "boy who cried wolf" one time to many. Had a troop who called in sick on a regular basis. He'd been counseled/disciplined for abuse of sick leave. Finally, he needed about a month of sick leave,(major surgery), and had to use annual/ and even some Leave without pay.

Leave a comment:

• RoadKingTrooper
    replied

I bet the majority of troops with over 5 years on the job who become malingerers, do it after having repeated negative experience with you mopes who are supposed to be leading.

The real venal thieves are you donks who make boss and then attempt to "lead" by (please pick up on the implied sarcasm) picking up on patterns.
    LOL, Great reply! You obviously know this from an "inside" view.

Didn't make it as a Cop Huh? Too bad, you were probably a Supervisors nightmare

Leave a comment:

• j706
    replied
    I have the same problem. Mine is a Sgt who is my relief. I work 3rd and he is on 1st. Always sick,late,dogs sick or car won't start-anything and everything. Big fat gut. unshaven, will not wear body armor. In reality it is probably better that he doesn't show up 1/2 of the time A fine example for all.

Leave a comment:

• skigoggles
    replied
    Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
    Of course I know the sick leave rules. And I notice a whole lot more than the line staff think I do. Actually most of the abusers don't care what I notice--------they could care less
    The rules are pretty strict but it is also necessary to be able to prove abuse. Every supervisor on here will tell you that it is not as easy as one might think its.
    Do I suspect abuse----------many times------------can it be proved so I don't it thrown back in my face when I discipline----------not so much.
    Oh yea----------as soon as I go out trying to catch the person-------------------the calls for IA RAT SQUAD start going out.
    If it doesn't bother you that a coworker is not pulling his/her weight and screwing his/her co-workers--------------------I guess it says a lot about you.
    Do your rules allow for medical checks? The guy calls off sick can you go to his house to make sure he's home sick? Yeah anyone can get a doctors note, but can they anticipate what time you'll be there. The guy takes off monday and tuesday, you do a med check on monday and he's not home but brings you a note dates tuesday.
    And who exactly is going to complain about you being a rat. You're supposedly a "supervisor" and your worried about that. The kids your supervising know whats going on with the sick time, you calling out the abuser is going to get you labeled rat?
    Go turn in your stripes.

About me no being bothered by someone else not carrying their weight, what exacty does it show about me?

Leave a comment:

• FJDave
    replied
    Outstanding supervision. Instead of trying to lead troops, attempt to ding an evaluation. Every think that the guys who are avoiding coming to work, are sick of dealing with dingdongs like you?

How do you deal with this pattern Einstein? I work a 6/3. Any day that I may call in sick has a 66% chance of being in conjunction with a RDO or a weekend.

I bet the majority of troops with over 5 years on the job who become malingerers, do it after having repeated negative experience with you mopes who are supposed to be leading. The real venal thieves are you donks who make boss and then attempt to "lead" by (please pick up on the implied sarcasm) picking up on patterns.

How about talking to the guy and figuring out how many times he's been screwed over and taking care of him.
    Wow. How about knowing what you are talking about before making yourself look like a complete moron on a public board. oops....too late, you already did it.

Leave a comment:

• UpstateCop
    replied
    Personally I don't worry about how and why other people use their vacation/sick/comp time. It’s none of my business. If they are following agency policies on using time I just don't see the problem. If management doesn't like the rules then change the rules.

Leave a comment:

• M-11
    replied
    Awesome First post Machine. You're going to do great here.

I see from your profile that you are "all about DT." That's good, beacuse you seem to want to pick a fight.

Take it easy, or just head to politics where unreasonable emotion is always in style.

PS: Ju Jitsu sucks.

Have the best day ever...

M-11
    Last edited by M-11; 03-23-2009, 08:34 PM. Reason: added the shot about ju jitsu, just to make it interesting...

Leave a comment:

• Machine
    replied
    Originally posted by FJDave View Post
    This is the way I deal with it. Look for patterns (calling in on a day in conjunction with RDOs, every Sunday, etc), deny day off or training requests with good cause, and the big one is mentioning it in the yearly eval. The eval is a permanent part of their record, so they don't want that in there.

Leave a comment:

• Iowa #1603
    replied
    Originally posted by skigoggles View Post
    But you are the supervisor. You should notice these things. And there are plenty of things you can do about it. Find out if your department has rules on the use of sick time. For instance if he's taking sick time and is out lets say fishing. Takes sick time and is working a side job.
    Who approves training requests. Deny that person the opportunity for training.
    If you have the "Nothing I can do about it" attitude as a super, you're just part of the problem.
    And alot of things have a negative impact on morale, poor equipment, low pay, bad bosses, etc.
    Of course I know the sick leave rules. And I notice a whole lot more than the line staff think I do. Actually most of the abusers don't care what I notice--------they could care less

The rules are pretty strict but it is also necessary to be able to prove abuse. Every supervisor on here will tell you that it is not as easy as one might think its.
    Do I suspect abuse----------many times------------can it be proved so I don't it thrown back in my face when I discipline----------not so much.

Oh yea----------as soon as I go out trying to catch the person-------------------the calls for IA RAT SQUAD start going out.

In a work force of about 400, I can think of maybe 10 instances of actually catching a sick leave abuser in the last 10 yrs. 5 of them by accident (spotted at outside activities by supervisory staff when they were "sick"). At least 3 when the idiot ratted themselves off. And the others----I just can't remember off hand.

I can suspect all I want when I see patterns.

I CAN and DO require doctor certification of "being sick" when certain amounts of leave have been used. But I can go to almost any doctor and get a work excuse------------by paying the co-fee on our insurance........they usually ask ME how much time I want off when I go to see them for an illness.

I can't discipline for suspicion

The training requests that is a whole different matter and is easily taken care of ----------------unless the union makes the supervisor approve training based on seniority ---------and your slug is senior.

If it doesn't bother you that a coworker is not pulling his/her weight and screwing his/her co-workers--------------------I guess it says a lot about you.
    Last edited by Iowa #1603; 03-23-2009, 07:12 PM.

Leave a comment:

• pujolsfan146
    replied
    Originally posted by Smurfette_76 View Post
    If others are constantly covering it is their business.
    Right on!

Leave a comment:

• TX Heat
    replied
    Yeh, we have a few guys with 20 years on the job and only 7 years experience. Guess they are everywhere.

Leave a comment:

• skigoggles
    replied
    Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
    The behavior has a negative impact on morale in the department. It, believe it or not, helps me as a supervisor to know that it is in fact bothering the other line staff. I can't do much about it, but its nice to know others are frustrated about it too.
    But you are the supervisor. You should notice these things. And there are plenty of things you can do about it. Find out if your department has rules on the use of sick time. For instance if he's taking sick time and is out lets say fishing. Takes sick time and is working a side job.
    Who approves training requests. Deny that person the opportunity for training.
    If you have the "Nothing I can do about it" attitude as a super, you're just part of the problem.
    And alot of things have a negative impact on morale, poor equipment, low pay, bad bosses, etc.

Originally posted by Smurfette_76 View Post
    If others are constantly covering it is their business.
    It's your job. You applied to the PD, they didn't come begging you to work for them. If someone isn't doing their work and you have to pick up the slack thats tough. Unless you can find me the part in your directives/rules/orders that says something to the effect that Officers get to determine how much work they think is fair for them to do.

Leave a comment:

• Iowa #1603
    replied
    Originally posted by CUFFS137 View Post
    ...I can't comment on them as I may very well be considered that guy. I wear many hats at work...I'm on my PD's SWAT team which is a periferal duty. I'm an instructor in varios courses at the police academy for both recruits, and in service training for active officers. I'm an instructor at my PD in multiple areas.
    Because of the requirements, and obligations that come with these assignments, I am often not on the street although I am assigned to a patrol platoon. I attend many training courses as well to ensure that I am, as a trainier, knowledgable. I'm sure that there is a level of resentment against me, but the multitude of assignments that I carry out are all nessessary functions. Just because I am not on patrol, does not mean that I am not working.
    I try to make up for this by being especially pro-actice when I am on the street (which keeps my bosses happy).

I am hoping that this is not what is meant when a few of you reference officers that are constantly off training, and not working.
    cuffs---------------------------------
    Not the same thing the OP is talking about. You are not only furthering your career but you are training to be a better trainer of new staff. That type of absence from the shift is necessary.

We are talking about the "others"-----------------EVERY department represented on this forum has someone that is an expert on working the system.

Originally posted by FJDave View Post
    This is the way I deal with it. Look for patterns (calling in on a day in conjunction with RDOs, every Sunday, etc), deny day off or training requests with good cause, and the big one is mentioning it in the yearly eval. The eval is a permanent part of their record, so they don't want that in there.
    I know others have mentioned looking for patterns, mentioning on evaluations and denying "extra training". Where I am so frustrated is that even when doing the above-----------------------many of them still don't care. These are the ones that are here for a paycheck, not looking to promote, and feel the time is in the contract so we OWE it to them.

I am finding more and more that don't care what I put on their evals. ------In my department an eval is really only used if they want to promote or get into CERT (corrections equivalent of SWAT)------------and the slugs don't want to do the extra work involved in the training.

Originally posted by 37delta View Post
    Family medical leave and some guy taking training days off all the time are 2 different things. My dept actually gives us a set # of family sick days every year. Those are in addititon to our sick days we build during the year. We also get annual days that build during the year. Anyway, we do have those guys who seem like they are out on training a lot more than they are on patrol. I think that is a shame because it leaves the rest of the squad humping calls while they are sucking up all the training. We use to have a pretty clear cut order that you could only be on 1 special unit or squad. We developed a seach and recuse a while back and also a honor guard. Our swat guys use to do it, but now we actually have a set unit who train every month. With the new units, anyone is able to be on multiple teams. It sucks because they have to take time off each month to train on the different teams. I think the issue could be fixed from the bosses, but both those teams are kind of pet projects of them, so the rest of us are stuck doing the dirty work.
    VALID family leave is one thing, off on training is another. The OP is talking about the SLUG----------you have them on your department.

Originally posted by Long Gun View Post
    Some of these guys care more about knowing their "rights" than how to be a professional peace officer. And again... their peers don't stand a chance if the supervisor doesn't. We have a deputy who has at times over the years bragged that some years he has spent more days off work than on.
    Back in the old days-------------------we used to have a blanket party every once in a while.......................THAT was peer pressure (and it used to work). Violence in the workplace laws have canceled that option.

Originally posted by skigoggles View Post
    Quit worrying about what other people are doing. You're not their supervisor.
    The behavior has a negative impact on morale in the department. It, believe it or not, helps me as a supervisor to know that it is in fact bothering the other line staff. I can't do much about it, but its nice to know others are frustrated about it too.

Wait until your favorite slug finds out about Intermitant FMLA. That is the condition where the officer has to stay home to care for the family member that has an "on going medical problem that intermitantly needs attention." The staff member can call in Necessary Care and have it already approved as FMLA-------------------Usually in conjuction with the staff members days off.
    Last edited by Iowa #1603; 03-23-2009, 07:50 AM.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2772 users online. 139 members and 2633 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X