X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• slamdunc
    replied
    Originally posted by Chiller View Post
    The ones we have like this are usually rewarded for that type of behavior. The ones that actually do work are penalized and ignored..

explain that one
    Can't explain it, but I can define it:
    Screw Up--Move Up! Happens everywhere.

Leave a comment:

• RoadKingTrooper
    replied
    Originally posted by Chiller View Post
    The ones we have like this are usually rewarded for that type of behavior. The ones that actually do work are penalized and ignored..

explain that one
    Had a guy like that when I worked, never available for regular shift work because of training, safety programs ect.

He retired as a Major!

Leave a comment:

• 37delta
    replied
    Family medical leave and some guy taking training days off all the time are 2 different things. My dept actually gives us a set # of family sick days every year. Those are in addititon to our sick days we build during the year. We also get annual days that build during the year. Anyway, we do have those guys who seem like they are out on training a lot more than they are on patrol. I think that is a shame because it leaves the rest of the squad humping calls while they are sucking up all the training. We use to have a pretty clear cut order that you could only be on 1 special unit or squad. We developed a seach and recuse a while back and also a honor guard. Our swat guys use to do it, but now we actually have a set unit who train every month. With the new units, anyone is able to be on multiple teams. It sucks because they have to take time off each month to train on the different teams. I think the issue could be fixed from the bosses, but both those teams are kind of pet projects of them, so the rest of us are stuck doing the dirty work.

Leave a comment:

• stormz5192
    replied
    We will just issue a Code Red or a sack of nickles beating.

Leave a comment:

• Chiller
    replied

explain that one

Leave a comment:

• patroldog
    replied
    I was a supervisor for 25 years (construction industry, city related, protected by Civil Service) and disciplining workers for FTA is frustrating to say the least. I have learned to return the favor to the no ethics worker by handing out ALL of the CR#P work to them, don't like it, QUIT, save us all a headache...........Stay Safe

Leave a comment:

• Long Gun
    replied
    Good god, Iowa 1603, I couldn't agree more. Baby bonding for the males has hit a new low (or is that high)? FMLA sucks. And association (union) agreements too. You are right on that as a supervisor, you often can do nothing about it. Some of these guys care more about knowing their "rights" than how to be a professional peace officer. And again... their peers don't stand a chance if the supervisor doesn't. We have a deputy who has at times over the years bragged that some years he has spent more days off work than on.

Leave a comment:

• Iowa #1603
    replied
    This type of situation is one of my biggest frustrations as a supervisor.

I view it as a lack of work ethic. Unfortunately between union contracts & FMLA laws it ususally works out that there is virtually nothing that can be done at the supervisory level. Some of the people don't even respond to negative peer pressure.

By the way-----------------------they don't care about having that feeling.
    Last edited by Iowa #1603; 03-22-2009, 02:15 AM.

Leave a comment:

• powerstroked
    started a topic Some one that is never at work

Some one that is never at work

There is this person on my shift that is never at work! When the Sgt says "There is this training that is coming down the line who wants to go?" Guess who's hand shoots up first. And when they arnt at training they are playing the well i have family coming into town, I am sick, the kids are sick, and I think my dog will get ran over during the shift so i need to stay home and cry about it cards. I really don't see how this person can have anytime left on the books but they do. They have missed so much work they are clueless at calls. Know the feeling you get on that first call when you have been off for 2 weeks? They must not know what its like to NOT have that feeling.

I am looking for some ideas to handle this on the shift level any input?

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3176 users online. 174 members and 3002 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X