X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you arrest me?

In reading through this thread:
    http://forums.officer.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=115223

I thought we could step it up a bit and see how everyone would react with a DUI. You pull me over after seeing me swerve a few times and brake late on traffic light. I'm pleasant, though very intoxicated, and obviously over .08. You only find out I'm a LEO because when I reach for my drivers license, you see my badge.
    Send him on his way (with a taxi or DD of course)
    45.96%
    Arrest him, doesn't make a difference if he's a LEO
    33.54%
    Contact your supervisor for advise
    9.32%
    Contact the LEO's watch commander/supervisor and let them decide
    11.18%

BARRING EXTENUATING CIRCUMSTANCES (crash, disorderly conduct, etc)

I've cut others breaks, and I'd consider cutting an officer a break if s/he wasn't stupid about it and cooperated with the game plan. I would handle the ride home though... no taxi or DD. Car would get towed. That would be the deal: take it or leave it.
    Last edited by Resq14; 03-09-2009, 11:54 PM.
    All Gave Some - Some Gave All

{"data-align":"none","data-size":"custom","data-tempid":"temp_14312_1475388990098_890","height":"65","title":"flower.gif","width":"72"}

Comment

Sorry but you're getting hooked. Whether or not I write a traffic violation falls under officer discretion and I've given many a citizen a break, but DUI's don't get breaks.
      "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
      -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

This is SUCH a sore subject.......

Comment

Bad situation. I would not be to happy about it. Luckily I have never had to deal with it. If I ever do I would like to think I would do everything I could legally do to avoid an arrest. I do think a call to the officers supervisor might be in order due to the fact the guy might have a problem. Not sure though. I hope it never happens.

I did lose a good supervisor to an OWI arrest. The guy was/is a good guy and is still a good friend. Not making excuses for his actions but he was having some problems at the time. I was there when the arrest was made and offered to get the guy home. I did not interfere just made the offer and returned to my car. The officer decided to make the arrest,his choice. In reality I lost a lot of respect for both officers that night. I am not sure why but that is how I feel about it.

I will go to great lengths to protect any LEO for a whole lot of things. Not only for the individual officer but for all of our reputations. My two cents worth.
          "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms. . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I'm old school. Nobody hurt or no property damage? I'd find you a ride home. If you refuse, that opens up a whole new can of worms ...
            I’ll die with blue in my veins.

Comment

I'll be honest I'd be ****ed if this happened. If S/he was not an A** I would call his supervisor to take him home, yeah thats right he is going to come ear beat him for me if possible.

Comment

i can honestly say if ur an officer in my dept no i wouldnt arrest you and b4 anyone jumps on my back about this by dept regs as a P.O. i cant arrest another P.O. or a Det Sgt Lt ect....

Comment

Originally posted by GoldBadge View Post
                  I'm old school. Nobody hurt or no property damage? I'd find you a ride home. If you refuse, that opens up a whole new can of worms ...
                  +1, I've let many civilians go, I'm not mandated to make an arrest. But if you're an AH, I might change my mind.

Comment

Thats a tough call....if he was just barely over the limit i think I would take his keys from him and have a friend come and pick him up and have the car park off the road...if he was two sheets to the wind then click click......but overall it is how the off duty officer treats me....if he is a jerk (click click)

Comment

Park the car and give him/her a ride home.

Comment

Would probably depend on the demenor and attitude....really a judgement call, I'm on the fence and could go either way.

Comment

I am getting him a ride home.... One, I am not arresting another cop in this situation you gave, Two, I certainly dont want that reputation. There are Officers around that have done similiar things and NO ONE trusts them, they are out casts.

Comment

Originally posted by Bing_Oh View Post
                            Sorry but you're getting hooked. Whether or not I write a traffic violation falls under officer discretion and I've given many a citizen a break, but DUI's don't get breaks.
                            Yup. If you can't pass SFST then you are going to jail. If you make the decision to put me in that position I'm going to treat you like I would anyone else. I don't cut slack to DWIs. Class B Misdemeanor and above in my presence is ending in an arrest.

Fortunately I have not been put in that position yet.

Comment

Originally posted by GoldBadge View Post
                              I'm old school.
                              Your position has nothing to do with being "old school" or new school or anything else. I like the old style thinking and methodology when it comes to a lot of things, but sometimes the "old ways" were flat out wrong and don't work so we adapt. And back in the olden days cops arrested cops when they broke the law. It might not have been any more popular then than it is now but if it was the right thing to do, it was the right thing to do.

Originally posted by Sac Law Man View Post
                              .....I certainly dont want that reputation. There are Officers around that have done similiar things and NO ONE trusts them, they are out casts.
                              Well I am not going to pick and choose which laws to enforce based on what would make me popular. I especially don't want to be popular with anyone who would let someone go who endangered lives, simply because of that person's job.

And I think it's sad that an officer could be outcast for nothing more than doing his job. Those people should ostracize the officer who put the arresting officer in that situation to begin with and endangered the lives of the citizens they swore to protect, not the officer who did his job.

Only a sorry piece of crap would go out and target someone because of their job. But there is nothing wrong with enforcing the law when it's called for, regardless of what job someone does.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6474 users online. 370 members and 6104 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X