Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've seen an awful lot of news stories where LEOs and their agencies got raked over the coals for not making DUI arrest on other LEOs here in Alabama in the last 4-5 years. The one I remember causing the biggest sewer storm was when an officer got the former chief of the Montgomery P.D. a ride home instead of arresting him. The former chief was also driving the city's car at the time he was stopped, making matters worse. Nope, sorry, LEO or not, if someone is DUI they're going to jail. I see no difference between this and DV.

Comment

Would you arrest me?

Those people should ostracize the officer who put the arresting officer in that situation to begin with and endangered the lives of the citizens they swore to protect, not the officer who did his job.
      I agree.... We had a Sgt get arrested for DUI.. Whenever I see him, I think to myself what a lop..

I still dont want the drama..

Comment

Big City vs Little City.

When will it stop.
        Captain Square Badge, reporting for duty!.

Comment

Originally posted by The State View Post
          This is SUCH a sore subject.......
          Agreed, but just wanted this specific subject mentioned to see the responses.

I also asked because it recently happened to me. We got a call for a subject passed out at the wheel of his vehicle, stopped in traffic, with his blinkers on. It was 2AM, so not a major hazard. When we got there, we woke him up, and while getting his ID we saw his badge.

Just curious to see how everyone would have handled it.

Originally posted by NYCTNT View Post
          Big City vs Little City.

When will it stop.
          Wha?
          Last edited by marcusindc; 03-10-2009, 01:10 PM.

Comment

Barring an accident, your vehicle is towed. You can call a sober, licesned driver to come get you. If its not to far away you can ride with me.

Comment

Originally posted by marcusindc

Would you arrest me?

I thought we could step it up a bit and see how everyone would react with a DUI. You pull me over after seeing me swerve a few times and brake late on traffic light. I'm pleasant, though very intoxicated, and obviously over .08. You only find out I'm a LEO because when I reach for my drivers license, you see my badge.
              Yes .... and you best not be carrying concealed while DUI.

(I know ... you're only asking a hypothetical, please don't take the shortness of my reply personal. It's just indicative of the hesitation I'ld show.)
              Last edited by t150vsuptpr; 03-10-2009, 04:14 PM. Reason: it's in red
              "That's right man, we've got mills here that'll blow that heap of your's right off the road."

"Beautiful Daughter of the Stars."(it's my home now)

>>>>> A Time for Choosing <<<<<

Retired @ 31yr 2mo as of 0000 hrs. 01-01-10. Yeah, all in all, it was good.

Comment

Geez...some of you guys take this job waaaaaaaaaaay to seriously. DUI the same as a DV?!!...or..."best not be carrying concealed"?! You guys are so hardcore.

Comment

Originally posted by rookie2812 View Post
                  Geez...some of you guys take this job waaaaaaaaaaay to seriously. DUI the same as a DV?!!...or..."best not be carrying concealed"?! You guys are so hardcore.
                  Not hardcore. Just mature enough to recognize that DUI is a serious crime that shouldn't be swept under the rug. DUI isn't some civil traffic offense, it puts innocents lives at risk. Any cop that drives DUI shouldn't be a cop in the first place, who cares if they lose their job? I wouldn't want someone like that as my back up.

Comment

I'm going to refrain from submitting my opinion on this matter again as it is known by some on this forum. Suffice to say I disagree with some of you jagoffs, and agree with the rest of you.......jagoffs.

I think this topic qualifies as a DEAD HORSE!

Comment

I think everyone looks at this from the wrong angle. Why should a drunk officer put YOU in this position? They chose to get drunk and then drive. I'm not gonna get my certification yanked because it's discovered I gave a cop a break. I've never given any citizen a break when it comes to DUI. Do you really think your department will back you when the news finds out you swept a DUI arrest on an officer under the rug? HA!

If it was some civil traffic violation, i wouldn't cite an officer though. I can justify that because I give citizens breaks all day long for the stupid driving shenanigans I observe.

Comment

Originally posted by CUFFS137 View Post
                        I'm going to refrain from submitting my opinion on this matter again as it is known by some on this forum. Suffice to say I disagree with some of you jagoffs, and agree with the rest of you.......jagoffs.

I think this topic qualifies as a DEAD HORSE!
                        If you have nothing to add, why post anything at all? I had a specific scenario that I was curious about and obviously others don't agree, or they wouldn't have responded.

Oh well.
                        -Jagoff

Comment

Given there was not a reason I happened upon you (call, crash, etc..). I would give you a ride and leave your car sitting or tow it. There's no excuse for drinking and driving but i wouldn't condemn what might be a good cop who can't handle the stress any other way.

I will say, there will be a call to the top of your food chain to let them know so they can make sure it doesn't happen again. A cops punishment is not only his, it extends down to his family, children...etc....

Comment

Originally posted by toasterlocker View Post
                            Not hardcore. Just mature enough to recognize that DUI is a serious crime that shouldn't be swept under the rug. DUI isn't some civil traffic offense, it puts innocents lives at risk. Any cop that drives DUI shouldn't be a cop in the first place, who cares if they lose their job? I wouldn't want someone like that as my back up.
                            I hope I am not out of line here but... Around where I work the courts have decided the OWI is not a serious crime. I used to be an OWI arresting fool. I just got tired of reading all the case dispositions where everything gets watered down to nothing. It seems like it is all about money for the courts. I got tired of busting the same people over and over again with no punishment. I am ashamed to say it but I try to avoid OWI arrests now unless it is an extreme case. I know we are not supposed to be concerned with the dispositions (according to the court) but I guess I'm just weird.
                            "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms. . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Barring any accidents or incidents...park the car and get him, or give him, a safe ride home. Tell him he gets the courtesty this only one time. I've been the recipient of this and all I can share is I'm not proud of it, I've never been DUI since, and I have done more good to society as a cop that not a cop.

Comment

Heck yeah, he'd get arrested. You can't put other people's lives at risk and expect to get away with it. You can bet I'd be calling my supervisor advising them of the situation though. I have no tolerance for DUIs. If you fail FSTs you're going to jail. We've all seen too many innocent people die because of drunk drivers.
                                The DA/SA handgun: A NAZI solution to a problem that didn't exist!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6237 users online. 384 members and 5853 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X