300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• crazy charges

A few months back I was looking at the prisoner board in our departemnt that showed what inmates we had ans what they are there for and so on....well I saw something that I had to read twice.....a guy was charged with Fortune-telling.I asked the officer what was up with the charge and he said it was because the guy had told a officer that he would not be going home that night....What do yall think and what is the craziest charge you have ever put on someone

I have never heard of that charge but I suspect it could be some other officer wrote that on there for sarcastic reasons. Cops have that type of humor. I have been wrong many times before but this is just my first thought.
    Prov 17:17 A friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.

Comment

no he really charged him with it.. when I get back to the office I will see if I can get the criminal code for it....I think the DA droped that charge because they had him on resisting by giving false info

Comment

I knew an officer who was given the middle finger by as passerby driver. He pulled the dude over and cited him for "not making indicated turn after giving appropriate hand signal. Not sure of the court outcome.
        John 3:16

Comment

"Robbing a stage coach". Actually, it was a "Public Intox", but the Booking Desk actually did a Booking Sheet on the stage coach charge.

Comment

Originally posted by redbird07 View Post
            I knew an officer who was given the middle finger by as passerby driver. He pulled the dude over and cited him for "not making indicated turn after giving appropriate hand signal. Not sure of the court outcome.

bahaha, awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by redbird07 View Post
              The cite was overturned, judge stated it was freedom of speech.

Comment

Back in the 1970s, one of the cities I was assigned to had an ordinance that made it unlawful for an "unsightly person" to expose themselves to public view. The ordinance never defined what constituted an unsightly person and we laughingly referred to it as the Looking Ugly in Public Ordinance.

One of the officers I worked with had such a "unique temperament" that he probably served as the inspiration for the character Belker on Hill Street Blues. (Trigger, if you're reading this I'm talking about you.) One day some idiot managed to push Trigger's buttons the wrong way. He got hooked up for his efforts. thrown in the back seat, driven to jail and personally booked by Trigger for violating the looking ugly in public ordinance.
                Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

About a month ago one of our deputies arrested a guy on an F.T.A. outstanding bench warrant. It indicated the original charge was an Inglewood Muni. Code violation. When I looked up the charge it was "Expectorating in Public". Don't hauk up a loogie in Inglewood.
                  Today's Quote:

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
                  Albert Einstein

Comment

Fortune Telling is a crime in NY. It sounds goofy but many elderly people have lost their life savings after being convinced by a fortune teller that they were under an evil spell and they had to pay the fortune teller to remove the curse. My old partner made a fortune telling arrest on a woman who had many priors for it.

As for weird charges, I've always wanted to make a "jostling" arrest, in NY you jostle someone if you put your hand in the vicinity of their pocket or purse, it's designed to arrest pickpockets prior to the act.

In NY, burlgary is defined as "entering or remaining unlawfully to commit a crime therein" One of our guys charged a kid with burglary for entering a school he had been kicked out of (entered or remained unlawfully) intending to assault another student with a bat he brought with him (intent to commit a crime therein). The public defender kept complaining it couldn't be a burglary because "he didn't steal anything!" The judge called for a quick sidebar to explain the law, doh!

Finally as to giving cops the finger, a teen in Somers NY recently pled guilty to disorderly conduct for giving a trooper the finger after a traffic stop.

http://www.lohud.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...WS02/901230326

Comment

I once charged a bunch of tree huggers with criminal sabotage. Apparently the 2nd time in state history it had been used.
                      Last edited by cgh6366; 02-05-2009, 09:22 AM.
                      "We're not in this business for the money. We're not in it for the excitement, and moments like this. Duty, honor, country, service, truth, and justice are good. But you can do that from behind a desk. In the end, you carry a gun and shield out into the field for the sole purpose of confronting the bad guys. The enemy. There is no other reason to be on the front lines." ~Nelson Demille

If your story involves Peanut Butter and an animal - give up now!
                      sigpic

Comment

One of my other favorites is not a crazy charge, but creative approach for an arrest. It was covered in this thread
                        "We're not in this business for the money. We're not in it for the excitement, and moments like this. Duty, honor, country, service, truth, and justice are good. But you can do that from behind a desk. In the end, you carry a gun and shield out into the field for the sole purpose of confronting the bad guys. The enemy. There is no other reason to be on the front lines." ~Nelson Demille

If your story involves Peanut Butter and an animal - give up now!
                        sigpic

Comment

I arrested a kid on a warrant for no fishing license. He was issued a summons by a wildlife officer. He told me he thought the wildlife guys were not officers and he didnt have to go to court. The wildlife officer felt different. The judge put a 2,500 cash bond on the kid for FTA.

Comment

Two of my co-workers have made a couple funny warrant arrests. The first was a warrant for Allowing an Open Flame on a Deck (basically, not allowed to BBQ at an apartment complex) and the other was for More than One Line in the Water (fishing related).
                            The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

Comment

I had a partner that arrested a guy for simple possession of cocaine base, he told the guy he was under arrest for possession of cocaine and TREASON.....there is a war on drugs you know

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5429 users online. 365 members and 5064 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X