Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is some great information from the annual Michigan State Police Vehicle Evaluation. Enjoy.

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/ms...b_260463_7.pdf
    "A fanatic is one who won't change his mind, and won't change the subject." -Winston Churchill

"I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts." -Will Rogers

"To desire to save these wolves in society may arise from benevolence, but it must be the benevolence of a child or a fool" -Henry Fielding

Comment

Where to start (on the bad) on my experience with the V-8.

Limited trunk space, doors don't automatically unlock when pulling handle from inside, passenger side has no key entry (we dont have keyless), limited view compared to CV, dare I mention the lack of cupholders without sounding ridiculous (coffee is a huge requirement working mornings).

Pros, higher performance then CV hands down.

I've heard these things have to be scrapped if they're ever involved in a TC due to the frame/body. Also it feels like a tighter fit up in the front seats.

Comment

I've heard bad things about the brakes as well as far as how quickly they eat em up. We were loaned a black Hemi Charger as part of Dodge's promo. I managed to find the traction control and "auto shifter" on the shifter on the column.........Got up to HWY speeds rather nicely! Had a lot of room in it but we would in these CVs too if we had half cages! I couldn't see there being too much room in the Chargers either with a cage.

Comment

Everything you've heard about the brakes is true from my experience with our fleet. We switched over to Chargers a couple of years ago and every one of them (V6) needs to have the brakes redone about every 6 to 10 thousand miles. The rotors are crap and start to warp, giving you that pulsing/vibrating feeling. Once it starts it doesn't take too long to get bad enough that the car needs to be taken out of service.

Comment

That's sad too because I considered it a "hastle free test drive" when Dodge loaned us the Hemi. I was considering buying one for my PV.

Comment

Originally posted by BPD_126 View Post
              I've heard bad things about the brakes as well as far as how quickly they eat em up. We were loaned a black Hemi Charger as part of Dodge's promo. I managed to find the traction control and "auto shifter" on the shifter on the column.........Got up to HWY speeds rather nicely! Had a lot of room in it but we would in these CVs too if we had half cages! I couldn't see there being too much room in the Chargers either with a cage.
              Same experience here. My parttime department has 2 Chargers. I was talking to the fulltime guy about the brakes. He told me they have replaced the pads 3 times within 13,000 miles.
              I told him to tell the weekend warriors to quit driving the car like they stole it. Having to replace them that often is just ridiculous.
              Prov 17:17 A friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.

Comment

Love mine -- just got a slick top. Performance is awesome. Traction control works very nice. The brake issue has been resolved with the newer models. However, still can't find that cupholder!!!
                sigpic

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" --Edmund Burke

The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.

Comment

they will haul balls like no ones watchin as a matter of fact there was guy in my dept that was doing like 140 down the road in one and passed a funeral...no big deal you say he must have been going to an ONA right....nope just feelin the thing out and he no longer works for us. but back on topic the BREAKS are @#*&@#* if you get something that will move that fast it needs to stop. I hate driving the charger we have one in my sector and if you are driving it you have to think about where you are going to break. you say ummmmm shouldnt you do that anyways? well after the next hot call you run to when it is all said and done ask yourself this did i think about where to break once on the way over here? I would venture to say no due to the fact that you drive that road 18,000,000 times in one day. Fix the breaks and make then trunk bigger then its cherry. But I will cry when all the vics are gone.

Comment

How is the front clearance of the Charger? I had a pursuit two days ago. It was on TV in the L.A. Area. The stolen U-Haul truck, if any one saw it. I was driving the black and white slicktop CV directly behind her. At one point, she drove up and over the center median. I had no problem with my CV. Only damage I got was on the freeway, she kicked up debris and took out my right side mirror. Our mechanic did a quick mirror swap. Back on patrol. My CV has 103000 miles. New CV soon.

Comment

The CV is a police car like Harley Davidson is a motorcycle. It just is

That said, of the three available American police cars (CV, Charger, and Impala), the CV has:

1: The lowest top speed
                      2: The slowest acceleration
                      3: The worst fuel economy
                      4: The biggest turn radius
                      5: The poorest handling
                      6: The longest braking distance

So, why are we so attached to this thing?

Comment

Originally posted by j706 View Post
                        I was issued a new charger in 2007. It was a V6. Some officers like them. I might have stayed with mine if it had been a V8. The operational costs are considerably higher on the charger. Everything costs more. Even with ours being V6 motors, we see no increase in mileage. Stick with CV if you have the choice is my suggestion.

Exactly why my dept. is not switching to them. Some of our surrounding towns have switched to the Chargers and the powers that be talk to each other....the depts that surround my town relate that they do like the V8 charger but it's breaking down much more than the CV. The towns that have the V6 chargers hate them and wish they went back to the CV.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5991 users online. 352 members and 5639 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X