Collapse

Leaderboard

Collapse

Leaderboard Tablet

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

911 Hang up calls/false calls (FINES ordinance?)

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 911 Hang up calls/false calls (FINES ordinance?)

Anyone work for a jurisdiction or city/county that has an ordinance in place for issuing fines to people who misuse, make false calls, or call 911 and hang up? Im trying to put together an ordinance as such in my city to propose it to the city council. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
    Steve Lockard
    Terre Haute Police Dept. (IN)

http://pssb.mt.gov/content/docs/misu...use_of_911.pdf
    Might help with explaining it, if you need it.

http://www.mrsc.org/mc/edmonds/edmon...monds0521.html
    http://www.bozeman.net/bozeman/polic...use_of_911.pdf
    http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/.../106-H-mrg.htm
    As far as "rights" are concerned; I look at them this way... I don't tell you what church to go to, and you don't tell me what kind of firearm I can own...

Comment

Originally posted by THPD191 View Post
      Anyone work for a jurisdiction or city/county that has an ordinance in place for issuing fines to people who misuse, make false calls, or call 911 and hang up? Im trying to put together an ordinance as such in my city to propose it to the city council. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
      Steve Lockard
      Terre Haute Police Dept. (IN)
      No offense to you Steve, but why would you want to impose a fine on a person for a 911 hang up? I can see your point on a false call, but not on a hang up. 911 hang ups often mean that something is wrong, but the caller is too scared to continue with the call, and they simply hang up. Perhaps you mean that it's going to be a totality of the circumstances thing? However, this is just going to result in more paperwork, not to mention more funding dollars, just to punish people for hanging up after dialing 911. But hey, that's just my 2 cents, and I don't mean to offend you or your ideas. Good luck with whatever you decide to go with.
      "There are two types of people in this world. You're either a police officer, or you're not."

Comment

Originally posted by LPDCOP2009 View Post
        No offense to you Steve, but why would you want to impose a fine on a person for a 911 hang up? I can see your point on a false call, but not on a hang up. 911 hang ups often mean that something is wrong, but the caller is too scared to continue with the call, and they simply hang up. Perhaps you mean that it's going to be a totality of the circumstances thing? However, this is just going to result in more paperwork, not to mention more funding dollars, just to punish people for hanging up after dialing 911. But hey, that's just my 2 cents, and I don't mean to offend you or your ideas. Good luck with whatever you decide to go with.
        I'm in the same boat as Steve and posted something similar not too long ago. I imagine he would not fine people that hung up for legitimate reasons. Just to give you an idea of how big a problem it is with us, over 4,000 calls a month are handled by the operators and another 300+ a month become calls for officers to investigate.

Steve, here's the link to my previous thread. if you find anything, please let me know, I'll do the same. So far, for every law I've found on the books, the jurisdiction tells me they don't enforce it or fine anyone. Good luck
        "We're not in this business for the money. We're not in it for the excitement, and moments like this. Duty, honor, country, service, truth, and justice are good. But you can do that from behind a desk. In the end, you carry a gun and shield out into the field for the sole purpose of confronting the bad guys. The enemy. There is no other reason to be on the front lines." ~Nelson Demille

If your story involves Peanut Butter and an animal - give up now!
        sigpic

Comment

If someone calls in a fake report, they can be charged with false reporting. Its a state law here. 911 hang ups are different, some are people to scared to stay on the line and others are 5 yr olds. We don't really take any action when its kids playing on the phone except talk to the parents. We don't have any law or ordinance that we can use if one particular person is consistently generating 911 hang ups. That would be a use for such an ordinance, but I think they are still looked at as no harm, no foul.

Comment

Hangups often get us to the scene of family violence calls or robberies that just occurred. A lot of the times they turn out to be a kid playing on the phone or a glitch with the landline connections.

911 abuse is a different story. Kids playing on the phone cursing at dispatchers, people calling in fake calls, etc. If it becomes an on-going issue, we can cuff and stuff for 911 abuse (state law).

Comment

THPD191 - PM inbound!
              Officer Down Memorial Page

Comment

Here in Florida, theres a state law for 911 abuse. If we get a caller whom abuses 911 with fake calls or is intoxicated and wants to vent, we charge them with that. 911 hangups are a different issue as described above.
                "Innocent people don't run."
                If it seems too good to be true, it probably is.

"You really don't want my attention. If you are (insert dumbass criminal act here), you will receive my attention. And like I said before, you really don't want my attention. Catch my drift?" -Me (several times a shift)

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11918 users online. 502 members and 11416 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X