300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CPD7297 View Post
    Actually, from reading some of the responses, I don't understand this younger generation of cops. Maybe today's academies are teaching, lock 'em all up. Nonetheless, you guys be careful and go home to your family and celebrate the holiday.

That's not what I asked, though. I work on the investigations side of the house. Do I not respond to the 9 week old baby with the broken femur...the home invasion...the rape? I suppose I don't understand why the holiday would STOP us from doing our jobs.
    sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

It's really not my decision....it's theirs. I don't go around enticing folks to break the law. You want a break on Christmas? Give ME a break on Christmas and we'll all be happy.
      “We don't disagree, you are wrong. Until you have a clue what you are talking about we can't disagree.” - cgh6366

Comment

Originally posted by nuthead View Post
        It's really not my decision....it's theirs. I don't go around enticing folks to break the law. You want a break on Christmas? Give ME a break on Christmas and we'll all be happy.

There you go.

Comment

Christmas arrests

I have, in the past, arrested folks on the Eve or Christmas Day. Do I enjoy it? No. Will I again? Like others have said, It usually comes down to the bad guys conduct.

Will I go looking for speeding tickets to write? Again, it's the call of the driver. But I won't go out looking for tickets fo 8-9-10 over or defects leading to a ticket. My main concern is keeping people safe. No disasters, No fights, hopefully no P.I. accidents. You get my drift.

Most of all, you all stay safe this holiday season.
          Keep your head down!

Comment

I try not to work on Christmas, thus making that decision easy for me...

Comment

I think JPGT and I had the same FTO..... no difference just for the day.. Even if it is Christmas... you committ a crime your going for a ride...... Why should we change what we do just because of the day....... Fairness... everyday.. plus if I have to work..... someones going to jail.. at least I can use the microwave at Booking to warm my Turkey Dinner Hungry Man....
              I may be short, fat and stupid...... But I can still taser you....

Comment

I used to love locking people up the day before a holiday. Just makes it a more memorable experience for them. Helps them to remember to quit committing crimes.

Comment

I generally do not go out looking for traffic violations to cite on Christmas. Now if I get called to an incident or observe a crime first hand that is different. I have arrested on Thanksgiving, Christmas and other holidays. The holidays are real busy domestic days for us. I guess people get tired of being with family that they only see once a year. Luckily, this year I will be off on Christmas eve and Christmas day.

Comment

ArkansasFan I'm assuming you also went with Destruction of Property since you had to keep em at city charges for the Burglary? That might be the other one you wrote him. Nice story though. I'll let minor things slide for Holidays but all in all, it's just another day at work for me. People make the choices to "act a foo" and have the police called so I'm there to do my job the same as any other day. I'll still stop cars on occasion if they do something right in front of me.

Comment

Originally posted by BPD_126 View Post
                      ArkansasFan I'm assuming you also went with Destruction of Property since you had to keep em at city charges for the Burglary? That might be the other one you wrote him. Nice story though. I'll let minor things slide for Holidays but all in all, it's just another day at work for me. People make the choices to "act a foo" and have the police called so I'm there to do my job the same as any other day. I'll still stop cars on occasion if they do something right in front of me.
                      Criminal mischief here is destroying or damaging the property of another. If it's done intentionally, which Mr. Crackhead did, then it's first degree if it's done recklessly then it's second degree. The dollar values of the propery then dictate whether it's a felony or misdemeanor.

With regard to the OP's statements, if it's Christmas I may be "gentler" to people depending on what they're doing. If they make a rolling stop I might let it slide some, but if it's criminal or something serious then I'd go with the usual actions. Actually, the last two Christmases and Eves we were told to "go some place and make ourself scarce." When I responded to the situation in my little story there were other officers piled up in my car watching DVDs on my laptop LOL. They all had to unfold and get out so I could take that call.

Fortunately, this year I'm off all next week so be safe and Merry Christmas guys (and gals)!!

Comment

Originally posted by Smurfette_76 View Post
                        That's not what I asked, though. I work on the investigations side of the house. Do I not respond to the 9 week old baby with the broken femur...the home invasion...the rape? I suppose I don't understand why the holiday would STOP us from doing our jobs.
                        I'm sure I can speak for the other guys on here when I say we are not talking about major crimes and we would never even think about not doing our job on one. I think the subject got off base. My understanding of the post was that it was asking about minor offences, traffic cites, things like that. I will always do my job, no matter what dat it is. I think some of us on here are just saying, it's ok to not beat the bushes and go looking for petty stuff on Christmas. I know the big stuff happens, just last Christmas I had a domestic where a female cut a guys throat. I responde to the call and arrested the lady. But what I didn't do was watch the honey-hole stop sign that most people roll through, and I didnt go looking for broken headlights. Anyway. I wish all of you a merry Christmas, and be safe. 37Delta

Comment

I've worked homicides, sexual assaults, aggravated assaults, robberies, thefts, family disturbances, and DWI's on Christmas. You can name any crime ------ they occur on holidays too. Arrest on Christmas???? Absolutely! I might save myself or some other officer more problems later in the night.

By the way, a GREAT time for arresting drunks is about one hour before Superbowl kickoff.

Comment

I'm gonna arrest according to our regular guidelines. If I've learned anything, it's not to give a break just cuz it's the holidays. Criminals are still gonna commit crimes.

Comment

Depends on the situation, DUI, warrants, dope, here comes your christmas jewelry. Suspended license, no license on you, get some tickets but I am sure we can avoid the trip to jail. Case by case situation!

Comment

Originally posted by CPD7297 View Post
                                Actually, from reading some of the responses, I don't understand this younger generation of cops. Maybe today's academies are teaching, lock 'em all up. Nonetheless, you guys be careful and go home to your family and celebrate the holiday.
                                Veterans always whine about this crap. I think they just want to complain because in my experience I have certainly found this not to be true. I have seen a good deal of discretion used by the younger officers.

I sometimes wonder if the oldtimers use this arguement because they are too lazy to work. They don't want to have to write that ticket, arrest that guy, fill out the bookin sheet, do the report. Hmmmm. Maybe the younger guys should complain that veterans are fat and lazy and don't want to do their jobs?
                                Prov 17:17 A friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3014 users online. 202 members and 2812 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X