300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arrest on Christmas Eve/Christmas?

Now there are obviously many instances where we don't have a choice on rather or not we arrest someone, but this is for those of you who have worked Christmas and Christmas Eve in the past (this will be my first).

Assuming no one is being an Adam Henry, and you have a guy with a non violent misdemeanors where their fate is in your hands (DWLSR, DUI, misdemeanor possession), are you more likely to let them go in the spirit of the season, or do you treat it like any other day?
    Arrest 'em all, we both get to spend the holiday here.
    64.74%
    Give 'em all a break, I'm no scrooge.
    8.97%
    Arrest the DUI, give the rest a break.
    26.28%

When I worked patrol, I never even wrote a traffic ticket on Christmas. Arrest? Only if it's completely unavoidable.

Comment

I arrest according to our guidlines. If its mandatory they go. Misdeamenor they only way you go anyway is to be a really deserving candidate or be a mandatory arrest.
      The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

If you work nights or eve's your gonna find Christmas Eve is as busy as a good Fri or Sat night. You may make these decisions on the lack of manpower than on the spirit of the day. Just go with your instincts on the discretion.
        Last edited by Tex4720; 12-18-2008, 06:48 AM. Reason: To add: I didn't like your poll choices, I'm inbetween 1 and 2
        Originally posted by ISPY4U2
        Tex, if I'm ever in the Lone Star state, which is unlikely unless I'm being held prisoner against my will by separatist extremists, remind me to buy you a beer. You make more sense every post.

Comment

My job doesn't change just because it's Christmas. I arrest on Sundays, too.
          sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

Originally posted by Smurfette_76 View Post
            My job doesn't change just because it's Christmas. I arrest on Sundays, too.
            I love Sundays... people get drunk early so they can sober up before work... so I just have to change my "huntin' " schedule.

Comment

I remember when I was in training my FTO told me if you have to work the holidays you might as well put some people in jail.

I worked this Thanksgiving, and will work Christmas and Christmas Eve. Since our man power will probably be light unless its a mandatory arrest, I will probably let somthing minor slide. Now of coarse if they really just want to go I have no problem taking them.

Comment

The last arrest I made as a municipal police officer was due to the following...

A individual high on crack cocaine went to his aunt's house demanding money. She refused so in vindication he threw a rock thru her front window and left the area. Approximately five hours later he returned to the house next door while the owner was out delivering newspapers in the early, cold hours of Christmas Day 2007. Mr. Crackhead decided he wanted in that house so he used his fists to punch out nearly every window on two sides of the house until a hole was made large enough for him to enter. He subsequently climbed inside, consumed a bag of potato chips, used the wallpaper of the home to wipe the blood off his hands, and he then crawled into the home owner's bed for a nice wintery nap perhaps waiting for Santa to come. When the homeowner arrived from chunking papers, at approximately 4:00 am, he walked inside and found the damage and who he thought was a stranger sleeping in his bed. He then called 911 and I arrived.

Having been given Mr. Crackhead's name and clothing description by the aunt earlier and having previous encounters with him I was able to identify him upon sight, and he was still cladden in the described attire. The homeowner never got close enough to look at his face. I "gently" awoke Mr. Crackhead, yet he chose to yell, curse, spit, and kick at me without getting off the bed. I told him a few times with the TASER cam activated to get up or be tased, and he chose not to comply. Instead... Pop. Sizzle. Handcuffs ratcheting.

While leading him out to my police car to the sound of several other early morning sirens coming I proceeded to place him in the car, yet I received only more kicking, shouting, and refusal to sit inside my warm, comfy cruiser, etc. The TASER leads were still in him so once again - sizzle, and down he went. This time he chose to get in the car, and I plucked the probes out of him - an action that yielded a few threats upon my life. The homeowner got a look and found it to be a nephew whom he had an order of protection against.

So for Christmas gifts I gave him two doses of TASER treatment, and charges of violating an order of protection, criminal trespass, disorderly conduct, and two felony charges of criminal mischief 1st (one for his aunt's house). I wasn't allowed to go with residential burglary thus the trespass, etc. It seems I gave him another charge also, but I can't remember. His last gift from me, after I took the handcuffs off of him with a corrsponding notion in his mind that he was going to, as he said, whoop my *** - I gently deflected his punches, struck him with an ASP baton, knocked him to the ground, and drug him by the neck and shoulders into a holding cell while the brand new jailer looked at me with eyes the size of a steering wheel while standing behind his countertop. I completed the booking papers, wished them a Merry Christmas to All and to All Good Night, went back to the station, wrote my report, and left for the last on-duty time.

Did he deserve to be arrested on Christmas Day? You tell me. LOL
                Last edited by ArkansasFan24; 12-18-2008, 08:40 AM.

Comment

Life is about choices and discretion. Their choices steer my discretion.
                  I am a Native American of non-Indian decent.

Cleaning the pool, one gene at a time.

I'm on a 30 day diet. So far I've lost 15 days!

Comment

I've arrested on Thanksgiving and X-Mas because of a Domestic, no choice. If it's not major then I'll be kind. If you have a warrant to serve that's the best time to go get them. Most likely they are home for the holidays....

Comment

I used to tell my guys a full jail is a happy jail!
                      Only the dead have seen the end of war! PLATO

Comment

Commit a crime on Christmas, get arrested on Christmas. If they don't want to go to jail on Christmas they should avoid committing crime like any other day of the year.

Comment

I can recall 2 arrests, 1 on Christmas Eve for domestic assault and one 1 on Thanksgiving day 2008. The man we arrested on Thanksgiving day had fled to Florida and been on the run for over 2 years. He flew back to MI to spend time with his family for Thanksgiving. He had several outstanding Felony warrants for his arrest and had swindled alot of money from people over the years. After getting a tip where he was (gotta love ex's) we went and arretsed him. Although we got alot of flack from his family at the time, justice was most definately served.

So, if the person really need's to get locked up or recieve a ticket, the day of the week or holiday does not stop me from doing my job.
                          Last edited by TROOP3844; 12-18-2008, 10:40 AM.
                          BETTER TO BE JUDGED BY 12 THEN CARRIED BY 6

Comment

We all have our own discretions. Meaning, I pull people over for one headlight ALL the time. I only write for it if there are "other" issues, showing my P.C. Arrests are the same way for me, some things, I just cite and release, other things, like "false reporting" I book every time. Christmas does not change my train of thought. I will cite as usual, book as usual, and work as usual. Just another day in my book.

Comment

Originally posted by MesaParatrooper View Post
                              We all have our own discretions. Meaning, I pull people over for one headlight ALL the time. I only write for it if there are "other" issues, showing my P.C. Arrests are the same way for me, some things, I just cite and release, other things, like "false reporting" I book every time. Christmas does not change my train of thought. I will cite as usual, book as usual, and work as usual. Just another day in my book.

Bah Humbug...you will be getting a visit from three ghosts mister!!!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3160 users online. 213 members and 2947 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X