300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comp Time Question

How does your department handle comp. time? We get the time or the pay. The only problem is getting the time off when you want to use it. We get told at the end of each year we have to burn "our" earned time below a certain level, but when we ask for a day off we are told that we are shorthanded. Who isn't? We try to take a summer vacation and are told by our supervisor that he will give you Monday and Tuesday but you will have to come back from the beach for Wed. and Thurs., but you can go back to the beach Friday (I wish I was making that up!!). Do all departments have some kind of issues with comp. time?

It used to be that under FLSA, an employer was compelled to grant you comp time off when requested, provided you gave sufficient notice. If they had to pay OT to cover for you, it was their problem. All that changed a few years ago with several court decisions which are complicated to explain. Rather than repeat someone else's work, take a look at http://www.rlwlaw.com/pdfs/FLSA_Comp...pdate_4-05.pdf

This was reinforced in a 2008 case that can be found at http://www.iupa.org/index.php?option...=179&Itemid=17

I'm afraid you may be out of luck on this one.
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by eah218 View Post
      How does your department handle comp. time? We get the time or the pay. The only problem is getting the time off when you want to use it. We get told at the end of each year we have to burn "our" earned time below a certain level, but when we ask for a day off we are told that we are shorthanded. Who isn't? We try to take a summer vacation and are told by our supervisor that he will give you Monday and Tuesday but you will have to come back from the beach for Wed. and Thurs., but you can go back to the beach Friday (I wish I was making that up!!). Do all departments have some kind of issues with comp. time?
      We have the simlar issues at our department. Were told once were at full staff things will get better. Will have to wait and see. Early this year I put in for comp time and even wrote it on my OT slip. A few months later I went to take the time off and I was told I would either have to trade with someone or take a no day of pay for the time. I asked what the deal was and told them about that day I had work for Comp. I was later told I was paid out for that day. You gotta keep track of your OT and work hours, because you never know what will happen.
      Some people were just dropped on their heads as children more than the rest of us!

Comment

We get any day off we want as long as sufficient notice it given. They will fill the spot on OT! They do have the right to deny the request but rarely ever do.

Comment

We can only 'bank' up to 480 hours of save time (comp time)....after that, it is paid whether it is marked 'saved' or not......

They also have to pay you at whatever rank you are NOW when you get paid, not what you were when you banked the time.....makes for a nice check when you retire
          The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

We can have up to 480 hours. As long as the comp is put in within 18 hours of my shift they can't deny it. We also have an overlap of 1 1/2 hours before and after the shift. For example I work 1500 to 0030 hours. Day shift works from 0700 to 1430. So if I want, I don't have to come in the first hour and a half. I can also leave at 2230 hours because mids start at that time. I work a 4 on 3 off which is nice to. Comp is the best thing I wouldn't want to work witout it.

Comment

Originally posted by LA DEP View Post
              We can only 'bank' up to 480 hours of save time (comp time)....after that, it is paid whether it is marked 'saved' or not......

They also have to pay you at whatever rank you are NOW when you get paid, not what you were when you banked the time.....makes for a nice check when you retire
              That would be cool...they pay us out every oct for comp time!

Comment

The Dept from which I'm retired was pretty good about granting a Comp Time request. In fact, I personally preferred to use Comp, as the IRS hadn't yet figured out a way to tax time.(I'm certain they're working on it)On the rare occassion I requested pay, both the State and IRS got a peice of it. Just my .02 though.

Comment

at our retirement they pay out your 480 hours at whatever rank, they pay you for the 5 weeks vacation if you don't use it, and up to 90 sick days. not a bad deal unless they take it away before I go.

Comment

Overtime is forbidden and we must comp out the time. We can't bank the comp time and must use it within the pay period. For the icing, we are not comped at time and a half. They call it a schedule adjustment and the comp hours are straight time....

Comment

Originally posted by jebtcop View Post
                      Overtime is forbidden and we must comp out the time. We can't bank the comp time and must use it within the pay period. For the icing, we are not comped at time and a half. They call it a schedule adjustment and the comp hours are straight time....
                      That's complete garbage. Risk it all and get nothing in return. We can never get paid enough. I hope things change for you.

Comment

Originally posted by jsc0288 View Post
                        That's complete garbage. Risk it all and get nothing in return. We can never get paid enough. I hope things change for you.
                        Thanks...that's pretty much how I see it.

Comment

we can bank up to 720 hours. We dont get holiday pay, instead we get one day a month of comp time no matter if u worked holiday or not. so its all good.

we can roll over comp time up to 720 hours. we get comp time off no matter what as long as we give 3 day notice, then its up to them to fill OT
                          sigpic

No, maybe I can't win, maybe the only thing I can do is just take everything he's got. But to beat me, he's gonna have to kill me, and to kill me, he's gonna have to have the heart to stand in front of me, and to do that, he's gotta be willing to die himself and I don't know if he's ready to do that. I don't know, I don't know.
                          Rocky Balboa
                          Rocky IV (1985)

Id rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6

Comment

Tell them where to go with their comp time

If your agency wants to play hard ball over comp. time then you or your union (if you have one) can withdraw your consent (next time you negotiate) under FLSA to accept comp time. Comp time can only exist for public employees if the employee (or their representative) agrees to it.
                            ---Cut the red wire---

Comment

Originally posted by KAA951 View Post
                              If your agency wants to play hard ball over comp. time then you or your union (if you have one) can withdraw your consent (next time you negotiate) under FLSA to accept comp time. Comp time can only exist for public employees if the employee (or their representative) agrees to it.
                              That would be for us, are Union (FOP) is still at an impasse. A contract would be great, the county doesn't want to give any. Will see what happens the contract expired in July.
                              Some people were just dropped on their heads as children more than the rest of us!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5293 users online. 376 members and 4917 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X