300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPS for addresses

We have GPS systems in our vehicles to locate addresses but they seem to work half the time. Some of us our switching to personel ones to hep with this problem. I was looking into one of the Garmin models. Anybody have any other brands that might be good.

I'm guessing you are using laptops for mobile data terminals. If you are, how about using laptop software program with GPS receiver.
    link:
    http://www.amazon.com/DeLorme-Earthm...6002754&sr=8-1

This link takes you to amazon page of product. Great part is it won't add to the clutter already on your windshield (dashcam, radar antenna, etc..). Organize the windows on your laptop so the Delorme map is part of desktop and leave your CAD screen on the other part. You can also just minimize it and click the tabs buttons on the bottom when you need it. It also includeds a night screen.

Other than that I have a Garmin mobile for the car. Works real good and has a lot of roads on the system. It can be a distraction in the window, considering I only refer to it seldom. Don't expect either system to know the "best" way to get to the scene. Sometimes local knowledge of the road is superior to technology.

Comment

I know for sure we can't download anything on those laptops, so that option is out. I guess I didn't explain clearly, that gps software program on the laptop works half the time, thats why I was looking at the Garmin. Yeah, street knowledge is the best...but it sucks when you get those obscure streets that u never go to pop up on a call lolol..........

Comment

I have a tomtom. It "learns" which cities you ask for, and lists them first. It asks for city, street, number.

It can be silenced. It stops giving you distance to destination when you are 50 yards from your destination.

It will show you which side of the street the address is.

Of course it isn't perfect, but it is better than our mapping system.

We are going to get in car GPS next year, and we are worried.

Were on graves, and patrol somewhere around 800 square miles.

We usually have 6 Deputies, 2 Sergeants, and 1 Lieutenant for about 285,000 residents.

About 200,000 of the residents live in 4 communities about 30 square miles.

We work the latter part of the week, including the weekend.

We receive a little under 50% of the in-progress calls.

We drive "aggressively" all night long.

I can picture admin pulling up the GPS log and saying, "Deputy D you drove 14 MPH over the speed limit 10 times on Thursday night, 10 MPH on Friday etc....

Admin says they wont do this, but it was done in the past, Deputies complained, and GPS was removed.

Sorry a little off tangent, but important to consider.

Be safe pulling back into the thread.
        Be safe pulling back into the thread...
        http://infidelswithhonor.com/

Comment

Commercial GPS devices use either the Navteq or Tele-Atlas basemaps. One might be a bit better than the other for a particular locale depending on if the company did a ground survey, and when. I doubt there are any dramatic differences.

Geocoding addresses is a bit of art. The system has to make some assumptions about numbering systems, lot sizes, etc. If we want 100% accuracy we'll have to take a reading at every doorstep.

I use a Garmin Nuvi and find it gets me close enough to read the house numbers. It's been skunked a few times, usually by dead-end streets that look like they go through on a plat map.

The CAD system in our cars is GPS-capable but that feature hasn't been implemented. Although the system puts out geographic coordinates these take you only as close as the nearest intersection. That's generally good enough for government work.
          The basemap is produced by the county GIS department and includes public and private logging roads, jeep tracks, and trails that would never show up on a commercial map.

Comment

I'm looking forward to getting the Garmin *800 series for X-Mas......I can't wait to just say the address and have it mapped out.....Thanks for the replies.......

Comment

I prefer The Magellan Roadmate series (I currently have the 1430 model) because it has one important safety feature that I have been unable to find on the Garmin or others.

If you have an emergency and aren't sure where you are, there is a little icon on the Magellan screen you can hit that will give you your exact location (street name, hundred block, address you are in front of and county). If you are in a rural area, it will give you the road/highway name you are on, along with the names of the nearest cross streets in front of and behind you, and the distances you are from each of those cross streets. That way, if you have to call for help, you know exactly where you are.
              Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by Dep D View Post
                We drive "aggressively" all night long.

I can picture admin pulling up the GPS log and saying, "Deputy D you drove 14 MPH over the speed limit 10 times on Thursday night, 10 MPH on Friday etc....

Admin says they wont do this, but it was done in the past, Deputies complained, and GPS was removed.

Sorry a little off tangent, but important to consider.

Be safe pulling back into the thread.
                This (among a few other things) helped to get a local deputy fired (Colorado) for crashing into a car. He blew an intersection going to a 911 hangup call. The MDC GPS and car black box showed he never slowed for the red ball. Ouch..

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5110 users online. 265 members and 4845 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X