300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Oath

What was the actual oath you swore to become an LEO?

I've dug mine out and I was moved by the solemnity of the words. They've changed it since to be more PC, but when I took the affirmation it was:

I (Cockney Corner) do solemnly and sincerely declare and affirm that I will well and truly serve our sovereign lady The Queen in the office of constable, without favour or affection, malice or ill-will; and that I will to the best of my power cause the peace to be kept and preserved and prevent all offences against the persons and properties of Her Majesty's subjects and that while I continue to hold the said office I will to the best of my skill and knowledge discharge all the duties thereof faithfully and according to law.

I appreciate it's a pain to type out, but I hope it would be interesting to see what everyone is actually agreeing to put their a**es on the line for.
    I'm a little bit waayy, a little bit wooah, a little bit woosh, I'm a geezer.

I have to say, I don't remember speaking these exact words, and I am surprised there is nothing in there about the Constitution of the United States/enemies foreign & domestic/etc. But the big blue book says this is the oath of office.

I . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . being first duly sworn, on oath depose and say, that I am the person appointed on . . . . . . . . to the (Office) (Position) of . . . . . . . . . . . . of the City of Seattle, in the State of Washington, and
    that I possess all the qualifications prescribed for said (Office) (Position) by the Charter of the Constitution of the State of Washington, and the Charter and Ordinances of the City of Seattle; that during the time I hold said (Office) (Position) I will faithfully comply with and abide by all the requirements of Section 10 of Article XIX of the said Charter of the City of Seattle and that I will faithfully demean myself in my said (Office) (Position).
    "We're not in this business for the money. We're not in it for the excitement, and moments like this. Duty, honor, country, service, truth, and justice are good. But you can do that from behind a desk. In the end, you carry a gun and shield out into the field for the sole purpose of confronting the bad guys. The enemy. There is no other reason to be on the front lines." ~Nelson Demille

If your story involves Peanut Butter and an animal - give up now!
    sigpic

Comment

I-----------do solemly swear that I will support, protect, and defend the Constitution of the United States and the State of Alabama, so long as I remain a citizen thereof. The oath will vary from state to state.

Comment

I took two oaths when I was sworn in (my department covers two villages) and they were somewhat similar.

"I, Guams having been appointed to the office of department name swear (or affirm) that I will support the constitution of the United States and the constitution of the State of Wisconsin, and will faithfully and impartially discharge the duties of said office to the best of my ability. So help me God.
        sigpic

Comment

The standard federal oath of office:

I, [name], do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God.

Comment

Members of the California Highway Patrol subscribe to two separate swearings. The first is for employment with the State Of California:

I, , do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I
            will support and defend the Constitution of the United States and the
            Constitution of the State of California against all enemies, foreign and
            domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the Constitution of the
            United States and the Constitution of California; that I take this obligation
            freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will
            well and faithfully discharge the duties upon which I am about to enter.

The second is the Code of Honor:

Code of Honor

The CHP has a code of honor. It states:

I, a member of the California Highway Patrol, subscribe in word and deed to the following:

"To serve the United States of America and the State of California honestly, and conscientiously; and fulfill my oath as a soldier of the law;

To uphold and maintain the honor and integrity of the California Highway Patrol;

Be loyal to my fellow officers; respect and obey my seniors in rank; and enforce the law without fear, favor, or discrimination;

Assist those in peril or distress, and, if necessary, lay down my life rather than swerve from the path of duty;

My personal conduct shall at all times be above reproach and I will never knowingly commit any act that will in any way bring discredit upon the California Highway Patrol or any member thereof;

To all of this I do solemnly pledge my sacred honor as an Officer of the California Highway Patrol."
            Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

I, (NAME) , do solemnly swear that I
              will support and defend the Constitution of the United States and the
              Constitution of the State of California against all enemies, foreign and
              domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the Constitution of the
              United States and the Constitution of California; that I take this obligation
              freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will
              well and faithfully discharge the duties upon which I am about to enter.

Now you also have to recite the Department's "Core Values", something about huggin trees and not discriminating against people that are afraid of spiders, I think
              LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO DRINK CHEAP BEER!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5853 users online. 318 members and 5535 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X